What's new

~~Detailing Airplanes~~

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
An opportunity has arisen whereby I may be able to begin detailing airplanes.

There are many variables for me to consider here.

I am considering farming out the wash process altogether because the hangar that is available is not set up for washing, but is heated.

I have no knowledge of materials, procedures or time requirements for detailing airplanes, so I guess my hope is to open up a dialogue here to determine:

1. How many of my automobile cleaners, waxes and polishes are compatible with planes? Are there certain chems that should NEVER be used on planes, for example?

2. What I should pay a subcontractor to do a detail-prep wash job?

3. How many pricing categories should exist for small-medium size planes?

4. Who can train me to perform airplane detailing?

Any other ideas or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!:D

Jim Caudill

Self Serve Operator
Reaction score
I would approach this very cautiously! First, I was a private pilot before going into the Air Force and flying for 6-1/2 years. I then flew as a charter pilot, commuter airline pilot, and then a corporate pilot. I also have the A&P (airframe and powerplant) license to work on aircraft. You should not touch an airplane without knowing what you are doing. There are the obvious issues such as static ports and pitot tubes that need to be protected during cleaning and then reopened. A piece of tape left over a static port following a wash, caused the crash of a South American airliner a few years ago. Moisture in the sensing ports caused the crash of a B-2 on Guam a few months ago. You definitely would not want to pay for a scratched windshield or be responsible for a rag or other debris being sucked into an engine. Check with your insurance company regarding your exposure for even touching an airplane professionally. I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

Jim Caudill

Self Serve Operator
Reaction score
Assuming this is a business venture you would want to pursue, you would need to get very knowledgeable. Each aircraft type would have to have its own procedure and checklist and this procedure would have to come from the manufacturer. For light aircraft, the owners manual may provide enough information, but for more complex and sophisticated aircraft, a detailed procedure would have to be developed from service/maintenance manuals. My guess is that you would find liability insurance the limiting factor in making this work. I haven't even touched on antennas, landing gear, or engine compartments. BTW, the idea of "subbing" out this kind of work would scare the beejeezus out of me. It ain't rocket science, but you do have to know and understand aircraft and their systems.

buda

Reaction score
Detailing Airplanes

Go to www.mobileworks.com and click on Renny Doyle's website. He is the resident expert in detailing airplanes. He can give you all the ins and outs and special considerations you have to be aware of, like using chemicals that have been approved by the FAA for use on airplanes.

He even offers training for such detailing.

Bud Abraham

mac

Reaction score
I had our Mooney done recently and the huy did away with the water washing. He used some kind of waterless method, and it worked great. Even got the oily belly. I would look minto that.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Waxman,

I think your insurance company will kill that idea as they likely have no way of evaluating the risk. I'd be curious as to the lenght of dead air you get after to explain what you want to do.

BigLeo

pitzerwm

Reaction score
This is a good point, that before you do anything today, you need to see if you can get insurance. You do not want to be operating without insurance.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looking into the insurance issues.

So far, the cons outweigh the pros, but we will see.

Thanks for all the input!

Pro-Techt

Reaction score
I'd be real skeptical for many reasons. I'd hate to follow behind a pooprly prepped vehicle/aircraft. I'd say proper prep is key to a sucessful detail and what if the person you contracted to prep them didn't do the right job? You'll either waste a bunch of time doing it over or fight through the improperly prepped start. Also, what if that same person damaged a life threatening component. You could be held liable for their mistake. I'd focus on boats way before planes IMHO.

Red Baron

Reaction score
As a pilot with considerably less experience than Jim, I'd offer this advice:
1. Treat it as an operating room, i.e., have an exact count of every cloth and tool to start the job with, and make sure every one of them is accounted for on your cart when you leave.
2. Have a 2nd person do a walk-around inspection after you're finished. It's easy to see a towel setting on a nacelle so many times that you begin to think it belongs there.

Lots of downsides that I can imagine. I'd think you'd need to have a good understanding of how aircraft systems work, e.g., what oleo strut seal are made of and what chemicals it doesn't like, special precautions for high performance aircraft over 200 mph, etc.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
A few years ago, I considered building a combo-SS wash at an airport that was adjacent to Interstate 5. On one side, vehicles could wash; on the the other, with MUCH larger bays, airplanes.

I learned then that high pressure spray is a NO-NO for aircraft. (As one who has owned 5 different airplanes you'd think I would have already known that.)

And, if you expect to do any paint touch up you should know that traditional paints are prohibited on aircraft and, if used, could technically ground the aircraft. Ditto for interior fabrics which must have an approved PMA number.