What's new

Detailing advice

charliewash59

Reaction score
Hello - my first post - Looking for advice on starting a detail business. We have 2 express tunnel washes and at each wash location room to establish a detail business line - basically already there. Previous owner did - but I guess did not charge enough and found it to be unsuccessful. Yet we call around to detailers in the area and they are booked 3 weeks out. Please let me know your thoughts and advice on best steps to take to set it up successfully.
Thank you in advance for your information

MEP001

Reaction score
IMO you should start by getting set up and have guys trained and ready. I've just been helping someone set up a hand wash bay at a self-serve, and he had his plan of operation in place first, prices second based on how long the job would take.

Mrs.autowash

Reaction score
Have you reached out to the IDA (international detailers association) I’m sure they have some folks in your area that could offer advice on setting things up, training etc... pricing is directly linked to the type of detail you are offering and the time it will take. Where are you located? I might know a few people.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
IMO a good detail manager is key. A sales incentive helps keep productivity high. Managing quality is another issue you need to address continually. Develop an order of operations. Buy high quality products. Machinery needed: carpet extractor, steamer, air tools ( tornador, typhoon guns, rotary shampooer brushes). Good vacuums, plenty of towels, rags, separate window towels. Blend station for diluting chems consistently. It's like Marcus Lemonis says; it's about people, products, and process.

For years I priced my detailing too low. Not any more. My detail manager prices the jobs, books the work and collects the money. Someone told me that the owner should stay away from the cash register and they are right. I make far more on detailing than I ever did when I did the pricing and work myself.

99Roadking

Reaction score
Hello - my first post - Looking for advice on starting a detail business. We have 2 express tunnel washes and at each wash location room to establish a detail business line - basically already there. Previous owner did - but I guess did not charge enough and found it to be unsuccessful. Yet we call around to detailers in the area and they are booked 3 weeks out. Please let me know your thoughts and advice on best steps to take to set it up successfully.
Thank you in advance for your information
IMO the key is finding a great buffer man or woman. With todays automotive finishes if they dont know what they are doing they can do more damage than good. If they can buff black and not burn the clear coat off the vehicle they are a keeper.