What's new

Desperate Times Call for Depserate measures

Chiefs

Reaction score
I have never seen a worse three months for wash weather than the last three months. I would love to get my hands on Mother nature for sure.

As the old adage goes, "Depserate times call for desperate measures" I'd like to run an idea by you all.

Currently, we charge $10 for the "Works" (the only wash we offer) and we sell 5 wash books for $35 ($3.00 off per wash) 5 -5 Wash books for $150 ($4.00 off per wash) and have a $50 per month club card plan which entitles people to wash once a day for 30 days)

What I am thinking of is basically a crappy day special of $5.00 and using a 3' X 5' double sided, temporary sign to advertise it. This would be put out on rain and snow days.

I know I'm going to get some static from book wash and club customers, but I have to believe that especially in the winter, people would be so sick of looking at their cars that they would be willing to throw away $5 on these days but not willing to throw away $10.

Your input is appreciated.

Bill

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I think you would catch some flack from wash book holders.

Why not offer wash book holders a $3 wash?

Chiefs

Reaction score
Wash book holders would have the option of paying $5.00 or holding onto their wash books for good weather days since they never expire.

Secondly, there is no way I'm going to wash cars for $3.00 nor give wash book holders $2.00 back for using their wash book coupons on crappy days.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
I used to do that in the 70-80's. I had a $2.95 exterior only sign we use to put out by the road on overcast days.
We would have 20-40 cars buy it but I always wondered how many would have come in anyway at the regular $6.95 full service price.
Today if I tried it the "code enforcement" guy for the city would have me take it down within 1/2 hour.
The city does not allow anything like that anymore.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I patronize some other establishments that offer bulk discounts and occasionaly run specials that are the same or better than the bulk price.

I think consumers are aware of that and know the bulk price can be used anytime whereas the special has an extremely limited redemption window.

BUT, depending on how bad the day is, they aren't coming in even if it's free.

soapy

Reaction score
I know my November and December were way off. I used 1/3 less electricity this December vs. last december and the temp was exactly the same average both years and lights were on the same amount. I decided to be proactive and January 1 I lowered 3 of my 4 wash prices down $2 each. I had simple banners made up and put out front of all the locations. I caught a break and have had weather with highs around 32, usually it is colder. I do not know if it is the sale or not but business has rebounded. I did more in the first 10 days of January than all of December. One other thing that has helped me is that 2 competing washes are advertising and that gets a message out to everyone to wash their car. I have always seen a increase in business when other washes advertise. I have several thousand token notes out and have not had any complaints from people who have them. I think people are looking for VALUE in anything they buy right now and a short sale represents Value to many people.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
We did a similar thing in Tucson which didn't get the long spells of nasty weather. We noticed that we almost developed a group of "rainy day customers" that we only saw when we ran that special. Even though we probably made enough to justify staying open we eventually stopped the program. We still stayed open on those days with a skeleton crew.

I think your situation is unique since you don't have the labor issue we did and do so well with your book washes. We were full service and had a wash program but nothing to the extent that you have. It will be educational to see how this works for you. I think it is worth a try. I hope you keep us informed.

wardaddy

Reaction score
I'm offering Jack Frost Special at time at our tunnel

half price on 12 dollar works.....folks like it

we have had 15 months of poor weather...especially winter, spring, ok summer, bad fall, bad winter now

2008 down 22% from 2007

mmurra

Reaction score
Several years ago, we lowered our price ($2/ea),and measured our annual volume for two years. It did not move our volume up, all else being equal. We recently moved our prices back up. I'd rather go out of business charging a fair price. Previously I would have preferred going our of business washing a lot of cars.