What's new

Deleting Fresh Water Tank and Feeding Cat Pumps Directly

jprb

Reaction score
We had several of the Jobe valves that would stick wide open and flood the equipment room. We also have one still in service after about three years. All of ours were on cold water. I don't know if they made a bad batch of valves or what was causing the problem, but we have switched to Walters. The only trouble we've had with the Walters has been the slight trickle that MEP described.

JPRB

Washmechanic

Washmechanic, Ibas. ss,
Reaction score
We have four Walters valves two 1" and two 3/4" in service for over ten years on both hot and cold water lines. They have worked well, but you have to keep an eye on them, because the slight leak indicates that the rubber seat on the diagraphm is starting to tear. They are easy to repair, replacement diagraphm cost approx. $9. We keep a rebuilt unit on the shelf.

Randy

Reaction score
I don?t have water tanks on any of my pumping equipment. The pumps are fed by lowered city water. I use a Generant water regulator just after the Hot and Cold solenoid valves. From there it goes into Dema 203C inductor and then on to the pump. I?ve never had a head wash out. In 26 years I think I?ve replaced 2 or 3 regulators. The floor in my equipment room is always dry. Photos available upon request

Gabriel

Reaction score
Based on my set up Kevin has the simple solution. All problems seem to just fade away with the solenod/valve set up.

MEP001

Reaction score
I have one bay with an exceptionally long run of high-pressure hose (about 125') and this thread of eliminating the tank makes me wonder if using an injector at the boom might be a good idea.

My thought was to install the injector right at the boom with a separate soap and wax tube run to the bay and use the same solenoids now in place but controlling flow to the injector.

My main concern is the reliability of injectors, and I know of only one model, a particular Dema 203B, that is stainless steel to avoid erosion of the venturi.

Randy

Reaction score
I wouldn?t be too concerned about erosion of the injector. In 26 years I?ve replaced the orifices in the injectors once and that was about 15 years ago. The nice thing about having a pressure regulator on the bay pumping equipment is it?s real easy to increase the soap and wax in particular bay by cutting back on the water pressure a little you can make the pump draw a little more product. I can make the soap come out like spray paint by lowering the water pressure.

whitescout

Banned
Reaction score
Mep, I think that if you try and inject at the boom, I think you will find it very difficult to actually draw soap and wax under that kind of pressure. I have used the zero pressure regulators, as well as dema injectors to allow chemicals to be drawn/injected before the pump. An important factor in getting consistant amount of soap through the pump while using an injector, is to have constant water pressure. Kevin is using a regulator, and I have actually done this with a booster pump. ( I was feeding 10+ pieces of equipment at a tunnel wash). The Dema 203b, has two needle valces on it for adjustments. One is for the chemical in, and the other is for the water going through. These two affect each other to a certain extent. If the water pressure is too high, the chemical cannot be "forced" in. That is why ( I believe), Kevin says he lowers the water pressure to let more chemical in. I used to use the highway analogy for managers I was training. It is easier for a car to merge onto the highway when traffic is traveling at 45, than if traffic is moving at 120.