What's new

Delay on chemicals question ?

OASIS WASH

Reaction score
4 months new to this biz so bare with me...I haven't timed it exactly but it seems to take about 8 seconds when you change a function for the chemicals to come out of the gun. I feel like some people are probably giving up on functions like tire cleaner and presoak because the chemicals don't come on automatically. I am not sure if its my old (1988) low pressure system or is this standard in the industry? Any advice on this situation?

THank you

MEP001

Reaction score
8 seconds is pretty good. I used extra outputs from a programmable relay to air-purge the bay hose and line after each customer and managed to get that time down to about 4 seconds. I don't know if customers noticed or cared, but I feel better about it. At least when they start with tire cleaner they aren't wetting their tires first and diluting the cleaner while they wait for it to reach the gun.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mine takes seven seconds. I think it's fine. Don't over think it.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
What size hose are you using? A 3/8” hose is over twice as big as a 1/4” hose. Everything from the manifold out should be 1/4” if you don’t want to wait forever for the hose to clear.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
OR you could consider putting PS and TC on a separate foam gun with an appropriate nozzle sized for LP....When you go from 1200psi HP to 60psi low pressure through the HP gun using such a small nozzle, the performance of the LP is going to suffer. There is really no way around it. You can minimize delay like IB said by running 1/4" HP hose all the way from the manifold above the bay to the gun, but its still not as fast as having LP on a foam gun where there is no delay at all.

OurTown

Reaction score
What size hose are you using? A 3/8” hose is over twice as big as a 1/4” hose. Everything from the manifold out should be 1/4” if you don’t want to wait forever for the hose to clear.
Are there any disadvantages of going with 1/4"? If not why are most using 3/8"?

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't like the light weight feel of 1/4", it's just my perception but it feels too delicate for what it's doing. You will lose some flow and pressure but with just 12 or 14 feet it's minimal.

I.B., are you also running a 1/4" hose through the boom?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Yes, the hose through the boom is 1/4”. I also have a super bay at one wash, running an 08 tip and 1500 psi. I use the same stuff on that bay as well.

MEP001

Reaction score
I was hoping you'd say no, then I'd be the smarter one.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
Nobody here is mentioning the horsepower loss... maybe because nobody cares. I know I don't.

OASIS WASH

Reaction score
are you talking about the high pressure hose to the wand or the poly hoses that are supplying the bays from the equipment room?