What's new

Definition of Express Detailing...

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
How do you define express? 30 minutes? 1 hour? However long it takes? I am writing a quick business plan to lay out how I am going to go about starting my detail biz at the wash. I want to try and figure out how many cars I will be able to do with a certain amount of 'workable hours'.

Input?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think the standard for express is 30 minutes.

This seems more of a guideline to me. Obviously a well-used minivan may take longer for an express service.

Before you advertise the time required for express services, do a few and see how much time it takes.

I also think the 30 min. parameter assumes 2 technicians working on the vehicle together.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
It will probably just be me working on the cars at first. That seems like a good guideline though. I was thinking in the range of 30-45 minutes. Sweet! I can't wait for spring!

jfmoran

Reaction score
Express

Think of Express Detaling like a 10 minute oil change, it is a maintenance service not an engine rebuild. Express detail services work well for people who maintain their vehicles, they do not work well for people who do not. Express services are designed to be done in a 20-30 minute window, assuming a two man team, proper tools and work space.

John

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
There is no real standard for an Express Detail really is.

Be sure to clearly state what services are included and how long it will take. What might be considered an Express Detail by one may not be by another. Many customers have no concept about what professional detailing really is and may expect much more than you are willing to deliver in an Express Detail. Many do not want to wait any longer than the stated amount of time and become impatient when it takes longer than expected. On the other hand, if the work is completed way before the time listed, some will feel short-changed.

I have seen really good programs have problems with customers about both the services rendered and the time it takes to them.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
It All Depends...

The original quick wax concept was introduced by Bob Burglin and Sam Itaya in Orange County, California in the early 70's. They initially used a Gem polisher, and later developed their own much lighter Waxcoa orbital buffer... later called the Waxmaster by Chamberlain. Their Simoniz process took 20-minutes and cost $19.95. Decades later, Ira Feinberg re-introduced the idea as "Express Waxing" and gave it the same 20-minute timeframe. He and most followers also used the Gem-like orbital.

Ernie Ionno attended one of Ira's presentations and repackaged it to include several services and implemented it for his boss at a full-service carwash chain in Idaho. Ernie later took his show on the road for a year as a show-and-tell seminar with hands-on instruction, helping to wake up a complacent industry to the profits of detailing.:eek:

ICA attempted to standardize the concept and created a certification package with a pass-or-fail test that awarded ICA Express Detailing Certification, the first independent unbiased certification in the history of detailing. Their benchmark was focused on the freshly washed vehicle at a carwash, so the time benchmark was 15-minutes or less... after the wash. It was limited to simple services like an interior super-clean and an express handwax.

ICA was careful not to include carpet shampooing because of the liability involved in having a damp carpet possibly causing wet shoes that might slip off a brake pedal and cause an accident.:eek:

So, if you start counting "after the wash" and restrict your offerings to specifically exclude carpet shampooing, 15-minutes seems like the standard. Makes sense, doesn't it?:rolleyes:

Hope this helps...;)

-STEVE

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It may make sense that 2 techs could apply and remove an express wax in 15 minutes.

However, I would be concerned that perceived value wouldn't be too high with that quick a time. I can hear the customers now; 'must be nice; you're making $120 per hour doing this!'. Obviously that's not the case, but customers are tricky.

I think the key is fast but not too fast. Standards are one thing. They can be used as guidelines in a detail operation, but the customer is king and you don't want them feeling short changed in any way.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Convenience Is King!

I agree that perception is everything... which is why I urge you to consider not only "WHAT you do"... but also "HOW you do it"! :p

Express Detailing requires a bit of flair in how every task is completed. If the customers are watching, give them a show. Let them see that you're doing a great job with ample dispatch. It's SHOWTIME!:D

It makes much more sense to convince your audience that you're doing a great job visually... while completing the task, along with a prudent team-inspection/rotation cycle... AND by demonstrating that it takes much less time when professional staff is focused on performance execution paced for saving customers valuable time to devote to their day's other tasks.

If you feel the need for your staff to drag themselves around at 3/4-speed simply to convince customers that there is greater value in a slower, more deliberate process, then you've missed the point of the EXPRESS product offerings. :confused:

The object is to work faster to add to the convenience of time saved, for time-savings is also an important VALUE. Dispatch means quickly and efficiently, not slipshod.;)

The whole idea is to demonstrate CONVENIENCE and VALUE... with a flair of dispatch intensity. Quick service is a good thing!:)

-STEVE

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I understand doing detailing with flair and creating a positive impression on customers. Have you seen pictures of my new detail shop? I get nothing but positive feedback, especially from my women customers. I don't go for every state of the art chemical dispensing system available, but we use 98% of the accepted, available and commonly desired detail equipment.:rolleyes:

I understand speed and its relation to service as well as profit. My best techs can paste wax a car in less than 15 minutes and with excellent results.:D

I think I will simply put the timeframe issue to the test in actual express applications and see how it goes.:eek:

Many express jobs I do now, customers leave the vehicle and return later, even though they know they can wait while we complete the job.:eek:

I plan more express marketing this year to emphasize 'done while you wait'. I essentially have to further educate my customers. I introduced a 'free standing detail shop' concept in my market 13 years ago and people got used to it. Now I'm introducing something new and it's my responsibility to present it appropriately!:rolleyes:

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Two-Option Theory: NOW or LATER!

Detail shop operators often have the mindset of taking time to do everything they feel is needed to complete the task, and then some. Often, because of their passion to roll a vehicle out of their shop looking as good as it possibly can, they run the risk of being upside down in their pricing and time commitment. It's nothing new; detailers have been fighting that issue for decades.:(

However, by following your various posts on a number of forums, your initiative obviously demonstrates a genuine commitment to Kaizen; a relentless focus on continuous improvement. So allow me to offer another suggestion.

Customers should not think that detailing is an all-day event... unless they really neglect and ignore the normal routine appearance care of their vehicle. If a customer washes their vehicle when it gets dirty, and applies a paint sealant of some kind every 3 months, the exterior should look great on a continuous basis. If, on the other hand, they think that exterior paint care is an every 6-months or longer thing, they'll remain stuck in a never-ending cycle of repairing the surface instead of simply enhancing it. Paint-care is different for every customer... because they've been sold on a bogus program of once or twice a year waxing. ;)

(cont.)

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Appearance-care is directly related to exposure and prevention, sort of like an old oil change commercial: "see me now or see me later", suggesting that ignoring a simple oil change will probably result in avoidable repairs that occurred due to putting preventive care off until it's too late.:rolleyes:

Same thing is true with exterior appearance-care. Wash it frequently, as soon as it is noticeably dirty, and keep a coat of protection on it... and a vehicle will look great for a long, long, long time. Okay, if the vehicle is exposed to something that doesn't wash off, like paint overspray, a quick above-the-surface debris removal with surface-care clay will provide a quick fix, followed by an application of a cleaner-wax.

If detail shops embrace the "NOW or LATER" Theory in their marketing, sensible consumer logic will eventually prevail, making express services an essential component of every retail detailing facility. The choice of "Do It Now... Or Do It Later" will resonate because it makes very good common sense. Doing it NOW is LESS EXPENSIVE and takes LESS TIME... than doing it later. :)

Yes, I've grossly oversimplified things here due to time & space, but it isn't nuclear physics.

Enough Said?:D

-STEVE

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
got it. well put.

i'm putting up a nice in-bay banner type sign today advertising express and am working on another for by the street.

KAIZEN!

jfmoran

Reaction score
Having run several moderate to high-volume wash operations with express detail, price with relation to an express 15 minute service is never a complaint. I have never had a customer ask for a refund or complain becasue we did their car too fast. Complaints come in two forms: 1) It took to long or was not ready when promised or 2) the quality of the service did not meet their expectations (usually because the vehicle was not a good candidate for an express detail, and needed far more work and time). This is the biggest problem with Express detail and requires constant monitoring and coaching of your service advisors. Not all vehicles are eligible for express services, either because of age or the level of "dirtiness."

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
If you operate a detail shop along with the wash offer a satisfaction guarantee that if they are not satisfied with the results they can use the price of the express detail towards a complete detail. I have seen this work well for some operators. I also agree that you need to fully train service advisors to prevent problems with vehicles that are not good candidates for and express detail.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Semantics and Perception Guide The Way!

Consumers often make subjective assessments as to what "Express" is... and is not. :confused: For the customer, it is more the wastefully irritating wait... than the actual stopwatch mentality.

To some it's fast completion time... while others simply accept prompt courteous service without delays. :cool:

The key is demonstrating a commitment to processing the task with dispatch while treating the vehicle and the customer with respectful appreciation for their business. Whether we call it dispatch... or rapid delivery, the customer must perceive convenience and value. ;)

Bottom-Line: Using the term "express" is a very subjective way of inferring a fast, efficient, no delay, rapid and efficient delivery of services... with a smile. :)

-STEVE

buda

Reaction score
If I might suggest some thoughts:

Most car wash operators believe that you must complete a single express detail service in no more than 30 minutes. However, the faster you complete the service the more services you will sell.

Of course the word express means fast. For the car wash industry this was a problem because it appeared to be an oxymoron, that is, "how can you do something that could take from 2 to 5 hours fast?"

It was not until the industry started using the term "maintenance" attached to express that the industry had clarification.

In short, what express detail services are those maintenance detail services done in 30 minutes or less.

While any fixed location or mobile detailer can and does perform maintenance services they cannot perform them as they are done at the carwash:

a. When the customer is at the carwash
b. Any time they want
c. No appointment
d. Completed in 30 minutes or less
e. Low price because the carwash bears the burden of the overhead

If a detailer wants to perform express maintenance services they can, of course, performing them utlizing as many of the selling features the car wash uses.

Regards

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Here's a question that's been nagging at me for a while now. Is there a value add to my facility if i offer these services on the weekends only? Or will it create a sense of inconsistency in my customer base?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No; that's not consistent enough. You are expecting ALOT from customers in asking them to figure out when to come in for express if it is offered 2 days/week.

What will you do when you want a vacation, to go to a wedding, funeral, etc.

Either bite the bullet and hire staff for this or leave it alone for now.

buda

Reaction score
Why do you want to offer only on weekends?

It is proven in Carwashes all over the country that full service washes can sell from 10% up to 25% of their customers an express detail service and exterior washes from 5% to 15%, depending on the space, equipment and personnel they have available and of course a good service writer.

When you answer that question I will answer yours

BudA

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Prove It To Yourself!

While I agree with offering the service all the time, you may need to convince yourself. So, offering one service (Express Hand-Waxing) initially as a week-end special will provide the necessary feedback to persuade the full-time commitment. Some operators prefer crawling, then walking... and eventually running.

However, you must initiate the service with a comprehensive promotion that educates as well as activates your potential customers. Signage, informational flyers, and a well-supplied work station is a basic requirement. Have a well-trained staff motivated to deliver quick, quality service with a smile, and have them in uniform. You can achieve this minimum attire with a simple screen-printed tee shirt promoting your express detailing. The axiom "practice makes perfect" should be your pre-start-up agenda so you can hit the ground running... even with an initial low demand. Remember: It's not simply WHAT YOU DO, but also HOW YOU DO IT! You'll never get a second chance... to make a first impression, so make your effort exceptional. IMAGE is everything.

And always remember that you are in business to MAKE MONEY. That means well-satisfied customers and sensible pricing that focuses on the value of a quality service at a price that it fair to both the customer and YOU. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER devalue your service with too-good-to-be-true pricing that ultimately cheapens positive perceptions. Consumers will happily pay for exceptional service by courteous, knowledgeable staff that render their vehicle with praiseworthy results.

Mark my word. Once convinced about the value of hands-on detailing, you'll wonder why you've ignored these profits in the past. Well-trained labor is a powerful resource for making money and retaining customers. Stop sending your customers elsewhere for services that you can conveniently provide at the same location.

All The Best...