What's new

Decal remover

MudMoney

Reaction score
I've got 20 year old vacs that are resisting zip off to remove the decals.What works for you ?

soonermajic

Reaction score
Anybody ever just put a new decal over an old one? I tried it once, it worked fine...

mac

Reaction score
I use a heat gun to soften them and then you should be able to peel them off. Be careful, do not use a metal scraper to remove them. Once the main part is off you will need to remove the old adhesive. Paint remover works for that, then use a strong solvent for the final cleaning. And in case you don't know this trick, here is how to apply the new onw. First do not do it outside on a windy day. Peel the paper backing off the new decal, then spray the sticky part AND the vac with window cleaner. Then put the decal on and you will have about an hour to squeeze out the air bubbles and wrinkles. After a couple of hours the cleaner evaporates and you're done. If you want to really do it right polish the vac or use a 50/50 solution of wall cleaner and water.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
D-limonene based cleaners do great on adhesive too. Turtle wax sells one labeled as a bumper sticker remover you can pick up at auto parts stores. Zep big orange works awesomely well if you have some

soonermajic

Reaction score
again, has anybody else besides me, just did it that lazy man's way? Just put the old sticker over the new sticker. Looked just fine, & took less than 5 minutes.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
again, has anybody else besides me, just did it that lazy man's way? Just put the old sticker over the new sticker. Looked just fine, & took less than 5 minutes.
That will work just fine if the sticker is just faded or you want a different look. Often, they are cracked and/or peeling. Overlaying them will most likely end up looking like a bulls a$$ sewn up with a grapevine.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've put a new decal over an old one on some IVS vacs. It never "looked just fine," the corners didn't line up perfectly so it looked like a decal over an old decal and prompted people to peel them off. They also seemed to fade and discolor a lot faster. It was well worth cleaning them off and doing it right.