What's new

D&S Meter Box won't open

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Anybody ever dealt wit this?

My meter boxes have a plug lock, and then use an allen wrench to unthread a locking bolt. Seems the nut, which is fixed to the top of the box, that the locking bolt threads into is free-spinning when I turn the allen wrench. So I can't get the face to unlock and open.

Thinking I'll have to drill it out, but I'm leery of damaging the plug lock area amongst other parts.

Any advice?

OurTown

Reaction score
I don't know about D&S in particular but maybe there is an issue with the spring that holds the nut against the face that prevents it from turning. If that is what is wrong you need to somehow grab the bolt head and pull while trying to unscrew it. Maybe a tiny pair of internal snap ring pliers or something like it?

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Is the nut one of these? https://www.mcmaster.com/90680A172

I don't have the same door but I've had luck using a suction cup like this https://www.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-half-inch-diameter-suction-cup-40993.html

Pulling the door forward while loosening the bolt.
Yes, the nut looks very similar to that. I think either it's welded and the welds broke, or the nut, which is square, rounded off. Either way, it's just spinning with the locking bolt, so I can't separate them to open the box front.

So your suggestion is to use the suction cup to pull the meter box face forward so it gives resistance to the nut so it stops spinning and allows me to thread the bolt out?

Overachiever

Reaction score
So your suggestion is to use the suction cup to pull the meter box face forward so it gives resistance to the nut so it stops spinning and allows me to thread the bolt out?
Exactly, or pull on the door some other way to create enough resistance.

Randy

Reaction score
Boy that’s a hard one to get into, I’ve never faced that problem before. If you can’t get it open by pulling out on the door and turning the bolt you may not be able to drill it, the head of the bolt will just turn.

MEP001

Reaction score
If all else fails, you can grind the lock housing down until it's flush with the door, then the door will pull through what's left.