What's new

D&s 5000

best damn

Reaction score
I have a D&S 5000. It is giving me fits right now. It keeps shutting down. We reset everything and when we try and run it it will only move 2-3 feet and it shuts down again. Obviously we havent checked everything or else we would have the problem fixed by now. Any incite form anyone to help us fix this beast.
W are only 1 years into owning a car wash and have been able to fix everything else so far but this one is ****ing me off.

HELP

waright

Reaction score
if it goes 2 to 3 feet forward, then backs up a bit, then shuts down, it would be a photo eye blockage. if it goes 2 to 3 feet forward, then shuts down, then your not getting the encoder prox signal to the computer. Possible causes of encoder signal failure could be encoder switch, bearing going out -- shaft has moved away from encoder switch, or multi conductor cable has a bad signal wire.

best damn

Reaction score
If we put into manual and cover the eye it still shuts down. If we use the override it will walk to where ever we want it. will check your advise today. thanks, will let you know if what you suggest is the fix.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
Kinda sounds like you are low on hydraulic fluid. By override, do you mean pushing the hydraulic motor contactor in?

MEP001

Reaction score
Count prox is bad or out of adjustment.

best damn

Reaction score
Ok. We cleaned the count prox and replaced the eye. checked the hydraulic fluid, alignment is good for eye. Still doing same thing. next idea please

waright

Reaction score
The eyes are not your problem, so replacing them wont fix it and nobody said anything about cleaning the count prox. It may be too far away from the wheel or bad. Check the plc input and see if the count prox input light is coming on when the prox is in front of a metal tab. If this doesn't make sense to you, then better call your local service. Sometimes we have to pay to get educated. To answer your private message, the multi conductor cable has the power and signal wires in it. it hangs on the side of the gantry with the hoses. it has some spare wires in it.

MEP001

Reaction score
The count prox doesn't get "dirty." It needs to be adjusted about a credit card thickness from the wheel. If it has the plastic wheel, make sure the studs are all flush with the surface and pound them flush with a block of wood if they aren't. Changes in temperature makes them work their way out.

After you adjust the prox, have someone push hard on the gantry legs and check the prox again, then have them push the other way and check it. If the distance changes, your bearings are so worn out that the machine won't run until you replace them.

best damn

Reaction score
well thanks for all the tips. This site is a wealth of info. Learned a few thing about our equipment the last few days. It turns out that it was an electrical issue. We cut the main cable in the gantry and rewired the whole thing. Apparently the shrink tubing on a few of the connections had dry rotted and there was some moisture in um. Everything is up and running nicely. Thanks again!!

Reaction score
I also had a similar issue, same symptoms, I rewired the gantry and cord to the wall and replaced the prox counter. Fired it back up and now have a photo eye that won't read and when I cover the eye that is reading, the PLC stays lit??

Dan-Ark

Reaction score
Had this too. you can sometimes see the red leds on the programmable control flicker, the prox switch should flicker steadily while gantry is moving, if the leds for the photocells flicker while in motion, you have bad connection. We had a couple, replaced the umbilical cable and every crimped connection in the gantry. so far so good.