What's new

D&S 5000 info

Dan-Ark

Reaction score
First, I want to say you all have ruined my dream of having a nice simple business that I could go collect quarters once a week and live happily ever after. After reading the posts on this site, many several times, I have learned I will need to learn more than is probably possible, work harder than I really want, and still deal with t he public more than I probably should. Nevertheless I have purchased a wash (in a town probably too small to support it) that has a D&S 5000 plus 2 standard size and 2 truck size SS bays. The wash has been closed (bank owned) for about 4 years and has frozen on top of that. Yes I bought it cheap, we'll see if it was cheap enough.

I am looking for documentation (wiring diagrams and manuals) for D&S 5000 built in 2003 and believed to be installed where it is in 2007. Don't think I can justify a new IBA based on towns population of 2500, although no other automatic car washes in town and only competition is 4 bay SS (across the street of all things). I need to try to get the 5000 back in service if possible.
'
Might have bit off more than I can chew so I may not be around this forum long LOL, I"m still optomistic, we'll see.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Been doing this for 20+ years that should tell you something about hard work and having to deal with the pubic and the stress it brings.

MEP001

Reaction score
The only really helpful part of the manual is the pages that show what the input/output lights on the "computer" mean and what the individual relays and contactors are for. The wiring in the gantry can be figured out now quite easily by writing down the colors of the wires in the 12-conductor cable where it connects in the bottom of the cabinet.

Dan-Ark

Reaction score
Thanks, would love to get any documentation I can. I haven't played with it much, something comes up asking to change a password, of course no idea what that might be. Plan to have local D&S rep go over it and give quote for refurb.

Dan-Ark

Reaction score
20+ years and still at it... guess it cant be all that bad. That, or maybe its like my current business of 15 years, have to keep going to keep the debt serviced. I've owned businesses and I have been owned by businesses. Probably more of the latter.

washallday

Reaction score
Don't listen to the naysayers. Love this business. Couple things, you can make the place look good with out spending too much. Keep the place clean, I mean clean, and bright. Not that you do a lot of business at night but it keeps some criminals out. If you are putting up cameras let me know I have some good tips on that. Don't price yourself too cheap even with guy across the street. I started to low on my auto and took to long to get my price were it should be. I have always been the most expensive HB's and still am. The competition is now matching me as i go up. Make sure the soap on HB is very visible more that comp. Make it smell. The foam brush I always put a lot out so it takes longer for customer to rinse off. People always tell me they love the amount of foam that comes out of the foam brush, no one else around does that for them. Good luck and enjoy.

soonermajic

Reaction score
I 2nd that foam brush story. Also, make sure your vacuums can suck a golf ball through a garden hose! I just bought some weashes from a guy in Arkansas! ha

MEP001

Reaction score
The password is 3071. Once you set up a custom wash, anytime the unit is powered down it will go to the default setup and you'll need to re-select the custom wash.

Dan-Ark

Reaction score
Thanks, as I understand it, this one has been powered down almost 4 years. Hopefully we can wake the dead. It does power up, the hydraulic pump comes on for a second but we dont have water to it or working compressor yet. plan to get that done tonight.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
If you jump into the ocean and can’t swim, the first thing you have to figure out is how to keep your head above water.

So, my advice is to hold off on the in-bay because you will be in over your head.

Get the wands, vacuums, changers and vendors working and learn how to maintain them so you can get moving towards cash flow positive.

After you make a little money, then you can figure out what you can or cannot afford to throw at the in-bay.

If you load up with too much debt at the beginning, there is possibility of drowning.

Likewise, if you try to work with junk, you will spend too much time each day wrestling with equipment or have potential for a lot of downtime.

As you’ve seen, the wash doesn’t make any money sitting idle.

Roz

Reaction score
I purchased a 30 year old fixer upper last May. Was running (barely) but seriously underperforming, and the IBA just moved water and was unappealing to all customers. Make a list of all the things you might want to change, figure out their costs, prioritize the list based on potential impact, time to implement, effort required, and just keep working down that list. Since May I am nearing the bottom of my list and customers have noticed and spread the word - it feels great to hear the positive feedback and genuine appreciation from them (most of them) for bringing an old place back to life.

One really nice surprise is how helpful and giving other operators are with their knowledge, experience, and time to help you up the learning curve (as long as they are 10 miles away from you). I know startup businesses but this industry was new to me. I have met with at least 25+ car wash operators, ones that others have said run a great operation, and I have seen their operations, taken notes, and learned from their experiences - I even learned something from the operations I have seen that are poorly run (ie usually the ones for sale).

Join your local car wash association to meet the other operators. Your car wash supply company usually has a maven or two who are willing to help educate you too as they know it will lead to a new customer.

Have fun and relish in the fact that you are not a franchise so you can follow your gut feeling to make your place stand out. Takes a little time but stay with it as it will pay dividends. Oh, if you live in a cold weather area make certain that the bay floor heating works, last winter was a bear with all the ice and frozen lines (first and hopefully only winter experience were I was unhappy as we are installing a new floor heating system - last item on our list!)

Good luck...

aca carwash 2

Reaction score
ROZ Makes the most sense, MAKE A LIST AND WORK IT AS YOU HAVE THE $, AND PRIORITIZE ITS WORK. I have (2) DS 5000's that are 17 years old, one IS still in operation and washes cars. I know a lot about the machine if you need any help, I also have parts and a wiring diagram. Good luck!!!

Reaction score
ROZ Makes the most sense, MAKE A LIST AND WORK IT AS YOU HAVE THE $, AND PRIORITIZE ITS WORK. I have (2) DS 5000's that are 17 years old, one IS still in operation and washes cars. I know a lot about the machine if you need any help, I also have parts and a wiring diagram. Good luck!!!
I have an older D&S but I purchased a newer model with an injector style pump stand. Mine was a hydrominder system and a completely different manifold. You don't happen to have plumbing schematics along with the wiring?