What's new

D & H control panels

mac

Reaction score
I was looking at a three year old self serve unit from them, and was struck by something I considered odd. Tell me if you think so too. They put a cooling fan in the cabinet right over the motor overloads. While this sounds like a good idea, you need to see it. There is just a nice large, about 2", hole in the top center with a little screen to keep debris out. I have always been of the belief that you never put a hole on the top of an electrical panel. Murphy's law, corrolarry #27, states that any water leak in an equipment room will squirt to the most expensive item within range. This hole is right over the high voltage motor overloads. I see the potential for smoke, big sparks, and possibly fire. Anyone else seen this? Anyone else thinks it's an issue?

MEP001

Reaction score
It sounds like they may have used an undersized thermal overload and instead of correcting that issue, they used a fan to keep it cool. I've never heard of a contactor that needs air cooling, and even if it did they could have put a fan in the bottom of the cabinet blowing up at the contactor instead of in the top. I've built, serviced and modified a lot of equipment, and I would never pierce the top of a watertight box.

Charles Ho

Multi-Site Operator
Reaction score
D/H Control Panel Cooling Fan

My D/H control panels at two locations have the described fan. Luckily, keeping my fingers crossed, no major issues. This fan, if needed, should had been installed on the side with proper barrier behind it so water can;'t squirt directly onto electrical components within. FYI: D/H was acquired by Grant Sales of Plano, TX.