What's new

cycle timer relay question

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
What do I need to do this in a simple, inexpensive way (no plc's, etc.)? An 8 pin plug in relay?...but which relay?:

I have 2 - 120v light bulbs. With 120v power applied I want one to turn on for 20 seconds. When it shuts off I want the other to turn on for 20 seconds. I want the cycle to repeat until 120v power is turned off.

MGSMN

Reaction score
A timer such as a 2DZ18 from Grainger.com would do that but I think there are cheaper timer/relays available. You would use the 120v signal to both power/start the timer and use the same 120v signal to power the common on one set of contacts, then put one light on the NC contact and one light on the NO contact. Set your your time and it will change the contacts for that time period and repeat.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Ric, 2Biz & others,

Seriously, if your "cycle timer" is meant to be in a dry area & you don't mind getting acquainted with the I O & others ports of a less than $10 Arduino PCB. With secure connections these boards with a less than $10 external relay & less than $10 transformer or USB 5vdc output .... they have been known to do what you suggest & potentially a lot more ... when the time comes & when your futuristic crystal ball becomes clearer.

mike walsh www.kingkon.com