What's new

Customers Who Bring Their Own Chemicals

Red Baron

Reaction score
I have several customers who bring with them a milk crate full of tire cleaner, window cleaner, Armor All, etc, then proceed to spend the first 15 minutes in the bay not spending a dime while prep'ing their car.

We have signage that vaguely addresses this (No Bucket Washing) but they are ignored. Would you say something to these customers, or just ignore it?

Mr.Aap

Reaction score
I have several customers who bring with them a milk crate full of tire cleaner, window cleaner, Armor All, etc, then proceed to spend the first 15 minutes in the bay not spending a dime while prep'ing their car.

We have signage that vaguely addresses this (No Bucket Washing) but they are ignored. Would you say something to these customers, or just ignore it?

If it's inhibiting paying customers I would for sure.....

soapy

Reaction score
If other people are waiting to get in I would say something to them. It is just common courtesy for those waiting. If they balk at you and go on doing it I would just turn the bay off so when they want to use it it won't work and then they have to move to a different bay and wait.

Red Baron

Reaction score
I grow weary of this conversation:

Me: Sir, I'd appreciate it if you would move your car to the drying canopy to detail it.
Customer: There isn't anyone waiting to get in this bay.
Me: A lot of my customers will drive right on by if they see the bays full, they won't pull up and wait for you to see them and pull out. You're costing me business and that's why we have that sign that says No Detailing In The Wash Bay.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
What I tell them is that I sell time and the ultimate end product is a clean car, if they do it right.
So if they want to continue to do it their way they must put money into the machine. I tell them that way if someone pulls up behind them they cannot complain as long as the timer is running.
It seems to work as long as I'm there but I'm sure that once I leave they probably don't do it.

MEP001

Reaction score
If I politely inform a customer that others are waiting and they argue with me, I tell them matter-of-factly that they can't do it, or that I don't care why they think that they can. I don't need or want those customers.

JustClean

Reaction score
I had this just a week ago. Guy and his girlfriend sitting in the car reading the manual after they had finished cleaning their new car. Another car approaches and waits. I went to the guys and asked them politely to leave. Answer: Look, I just spend a fortune in this bay you might give me a few seconds,eh?"
I told him that I would ask any other customer exactly the same if it was him waiting for someone to leave the bay. He turned around saw the other car waiting and left...hmm...

Would be great if we had a "bay timer" instead a wash timer.

soapy

Reaction score
I had 2 different people yesterday sitting in the SS bays after washing drying their cars. All the bays were full with people waiting. I asked them kindly to pull out to dry their cars. One did so and one copped an attitude about it. This would be the same as going to a drive thru window at McDonalds and getting your order and then sitting and eating it while parked at the drive thru window so no one else could be served.

Red Baron

Reaction score
I had 2 different people yesterday sitting in the SS bays after washing drying their cars. All the bays were full with people waiting. I asked them kindly to pull out to dry their cars. One did so and one copped an attitude about it. This would be the same as going to a drive thru window at McDonalds and getting your order and then sitting and eating it while parked at the drive thru window so no one else could be served.
Great analogy, I'll use that one.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I don't have the people waiting too much some washes are 8-9 bays. Wait time is usually short . I bribe them to move along, I say "we are really busy, if i give you a $1 or $2 in tokens towards your next wash could i get you to dry outside."
I win and both customers win. I now have reduced the line, shown the one customer courtesy and respect, and I am positive he will be back to wash. Just figure out a way to change the situation in your favor.
John

bigleo48

Reaction score
I will point out that if they are drying their cars, that they likely get some splashing over the bay separator windows and so that is why we have a big parking lot. I sometimes tell customers this even if we are not full...so next time they'll get out regardless.

If a customer gets irritated, I will politely explain that this is a business and I rely on the money that goes into the machine to survive. They usually understand that.

If it all fails, I tell them to get lost...but that has only happened once in three years.

I also been toying with a message I could run on the PA, telling everyone in the bays that we are busy and to detail in the parking lot. That way you are not embarrassing someone directly by speaking to the problem and not the person.

I too see more people with their own chemicals. They'll do stupid stuff, like buy a bottle of degreaser and spray the whole car before washing. I then take the time to explain that we have similar products at a cheaper rate and that they are for clear coat paint and that using those chemicals is too hard on the paint. Sometimes I will show them the pH of the product with my meter and then how the appropriate stuff works just as well (like Bug Remover for bugs). This seems to work well as they know you know your stuff and are looking out for their cars.

BigLeo

MEP001

Reaction score
I once watched a guy pour an entire bottle of Turtle Wax car wash liquid over his vehicle, then scrub it with the foam brush without starting the meter. I'm sure he spent more on the large bottle of product than he would have spent using the presoak, high pressure and foam brush.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bet he spent more in $$$ to rinse it off!!!!!!!!!!!

joe denardis

President
Reaction score
Customers that bring their own car wash/wax items

This is like going into a restaurant with you lunch bag. You occupy a table,
and then buy a drink to wash it down. If a customer comes and washes and decides to wax it, then I let it go - as long as no one else wants to use the bay. If someone lines up then I ask (tell) him to move into the lot to finish up.
This is the peak of arrogance to occupy a bay with one's own cleaning chemicals. Most of the time - he needs to spend some money to stay there.

Joe
www.crowncarwashinc.com

JustClean

Reaction score
No matter if connected or not: I tell them THEIR chemicals will stuff up OUR reclaim system. Hundreds of dollars to be cleaned. Sorry! ;)