What's new

Customer's Interpretation

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I had a conversation with a customer today asking me about the level of protection I have displayed on one of my banners for Durashield from Blendco stating that it has a "30 Day Total Car Protection" when used he asked me so I don't need to use your top wash again for 30 days?. Am I wrong to agree with the customer or tell him that he needs to still use my top wash to keep at that level of protection for his vehicle or just use the next wash level down, so what's the purpose telling customers it will protect for 30 days if that not true?

Last edited:

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
"30 Day Total Car Protection"

Frankly, I think that is a total BS statement. Does it change the oil, check tire pressure, replace belts and hoses:confused:??? Using statements that sound great but have little meaning with no way to prove them one way or the other just lead to confusion. IMO, they damage the credibility of those using them.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
The rest of the banner is fine it's just the "30 day" portion that bothers me, yes it is a great product my customers think so as well, I am happy with it I just don't like banners or products that could keep customers not returning as much due to misleading information. they need to change that to something like Rain X: "Shine, Protects, Repels.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I use the durashield, but i can't think of what would be a good honest banner.
Total care protection seems a little far fetched, but most customers probably have seen goofy signs at washes forever like "Hot Wax Protects", and others and know it only lasts till the next wash in a week if that.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
There are so many variables regarding the length of protection that I would never feel comfortable with a 30 day statement. Rain, snow, dew, UV rays, contaminants in the air all have the potential to affect any protection that may be imparted. While I am sure it is probably a quality product I would not put those words on any banner or signage.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I think you should be happy if he bought that every thirty days. Perhaps you could simply offer a discount by the a la carte cost of that item for 21 days on the top package. Just have customers show the receipt and not apply that item. But the 22nd day it's time to re apply justy like you would not wnat your gas tank to be empty before you fill up. again.

madstack

Reaction score
I tell them: For the best protection, get the top package every time as the wash process removes some (or all) of the protectant with the bad stuff it's accumulated so far.

Kevin James

Reaction score
I think you have to look at the public’s overall perception of the car wash industry and it’s not very good. All these BS signs and banners pretty much reinforce what the public thinks of the car wash industry overall. We never put up any banners or signs stating what a product will do or not do.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I totally agree. Putting up a sign stating that they are not responsible for damages is another one that blows my mind. What the f@#$ are those morons thinking! Would they eat at a buffet stating "We are not responsible for food poisoning."?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I apply the product strong enough that it causes a noticeable water bead and even feels slippery on the surface of the vehicle. The product survives two or three washes easily. If my customers ask, I just inform them how to look for signs the product is wearing off, the water doesn't bead, etc. .

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Customers want more value, so when we offer good products we should trumpet that fact proudly.

If a product is designed to give lasting (a couple or 3 washes) protection, it's okay to advertise it.

There are exceptions to most longevity claims made by many companies pertaining to various products. If you believe in a product you sell, whether it's wax, polish, rainx, fabric guard, etc. I say market it as best you can!

MEP001

Reaction score
You could always create your own banner that advertises the product without making claims to how long it lasts.

Baywash

Mike
Reaction score
I totally agree. Putting up a sign stating that they are not responsible for damages is another one that blows my mind. What the f@#$ are those morons thinking! Would they eat at a buffet stating "We are not responsible for food poisoning."?
I have one of those signs up and it has saved my beacon several times. Nine times out of ten when something happens, it is from someone who gets the lowest level wash and is driving a POS with half the stuff already broken. I also state that I am not resposible for after-market stuff put on the vehicle that might come off. But with that said, my policy is that if anything that is factory production that is damaged, I will fix it. This policy has served me well and I don't think I have lost any business because of it. My overall repair bill to vehicles last year was less than $200 and about the same for previous years. I will also add that this sign hangs outside my friction unit, but I have a touch free right next to for an alternative for anyone with unconventional vehicle or might be frightened off by my sign. 99% of my customers don't read the sign anyway and the 1% don't see it until I need to point it out to them.

So before you start calling people morons...you might look in a mirror or actually try to think something through before getting so high and mighty.