What's new

Customer's Hitting The Brakes In The Tunnel

Etowah

iwashcars

Reaction score
I just converted my full serve to a flex serve about 3 weeks ago. Customers in my area are not used to staying in their cars through the tunnel. There are only full serves in the area so this is new for everyone. Despite signs and my greeter instructing customers what to do we are having a lot of people step on the brake throughout the tunnel. We have had some near misses until today when someone did it again and it caused a major accident inside the tunnel.

Does this happen in other tunnels and what do you do to correct it? There are only so many signs you can put up. I am making small cards up with instructions as to what to do while going through the tunnel for the greeter to give to everyone.

Thanks,
Paul

madstack

Reaction score
Just be ready. Have proper signage and cameras to see brake lights. They're just panicking is all. It should dissipate over time unless you got a roller coaster going. ;)

iwashcars

Reaction score
Can the car wash hold a customer liable for jamming on their brakes and causing damage to other vehicles and equipment?

madstack

Reaction score
That's what the cameras and signs are for. Establish that they have been notified and prove they hit the brakes. It should give you a leg up in any litigation and help you draw support from your insurance company.

DavidM

Reaction score
Do you have any idea what is causing people to hit their brakes? We did not see that happening when we converted but I did have a customer hit his brakes because he thought the "Spot Free Rinse" said "Stop" (His insurance paid the damage to the vehicle behind him) If you can find out what is causing them to panic and hit their brakes, maybe you can correct it.

I have heard of washes putting stainless steel plates on the floor on the passenger side so the tires slide when the brakes are applied.

Reaction score
The older customers are very cautious and many of them want to tap their brakes as they go thru conveyer washes. I recently hit a woman because at the end of the wash she hit the brakes and came to a complete stop. (I guess to get the full effect from the dryers) which then made the car behind me to hit my rearend. Before the attendant could stop her, she sped off.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
People are also conditioned to hit the brakes when they shift to drive.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“Customers …..are not used to staying in their cars through the tunnel. Despite signs….greeter instructing customers what to do…..people step on the brake throughout the tunnel. “what do you do to correct it?”

A positive experience (ride-thru) may not be very enjoyable at first and provides initial negative feedback (i.e. complaints, mishaps).

It will gradually become more enjoyable with experience and creates future benefits.

For example, ride-thru has faster process, lower prices and free vacuums that save customers time and money.

As owner, you need to influence this experience by rewarding customers and not nagging them like an adult does to a child or their spouse.

Of course, some people can’t walk and chew gum at the same time but they have green money, so you have to teach and coach them and periodically reward them with a treat like a dog.

Riding though the wash with customers, offering free passes, instruction pamphlet and a strong customer loyalty program with some freebies and frequency discounts will help the transition.

JeffM

The Canadian
Reaction score
"Of course, some people can’t walk and chew gum at the same time but they have green money, so you have to teach and coach them and periodically reward them with a treat like a dog."

Robert, I have always enjoyed your posts and the vast knowledge you have of this industry. Today, you just may have become my hero. I hope you don't mind if I share this on a regular basis. It definately captures the essence of the very root of how customers will percieve "good" or "excellent" customer service.

Paul, one thing I have learned over my years in this industry is that people do not read signage. You may have 3 signs saying the exact same thing by the time your customer enters your wash and only a fraction of them may read any of them. I would suggest training your staff to keep one eye on the task at hand and the other on the conveyor at all times. This will give you a few sets of eyes watching for potential problems and a better opportunity to react quicker. If there are close calls, encourage your staff to be helpful and assist the customer in getting out of the situation (i.e. hopped roller) without showing frustration. Once the customer is out, speak with them to determine what may have happened ("I couldn't see going through the top wheel") and coach them on why they need to keep their foot off of the brake.

Keeping it friendly and positive at all times may be a challange to begin with and is absolutely critical to ensure proper customer coaching. Your customers will soon realize that you care about them and, in theory, be more apt to use your services and tell others about their positive experience with you.