What's new

Customers and phone number requests

philliesfan94

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just set up my pay stations to require the customer to enter their phone number when purchasing a membership about 2 weeks ago and I have had my managers tell me more often than not that the customer becomes "annoyed" and "refuses" to put their phone number in. My initial thought on this is "really? you sign up for things everywhere else and they require a contact method every single time so why is this so different?".

But now I am curious, do you experience this issue often if at all? How do you respond to this if so? I don't want to give in and take that option down as I do plan on using sms marketing sometime in the future (just not there yet).

traveler17

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just set up my pay stations to require the customer to enter their phone number when purchasing a membership about 2 weeks ago and I have had my managers tell me more often than not that the customer becomes "annoyed" and "refuses" to put their phone number in. My initial thought on this is "really? you sign up for things everywhere else and they require a contact method every single time so why is this so different?".

But now I am curious, do you experience this issue often if at all? How do you respond to this if so? I don't want to give in and take that option down as I do plan on using sms marketing sometime in the future (just not there yet).
Do you like getting sales and telemarketing calls?

Wash4Life

Reaction score
We're still at the point of using pen and paper to obtain members' contact information. Once in a while, someone asks if they'll get spammed. We tell them it's to only contact them if a payment does not go through. Most people give both phone numbers and email addresses. If they do not, it's no big deal. If/when their credit/debit card does not go through, they'll get cut off without a notice, but if they still want to remain a member, they'll get squared away with us.

I think the reason you're getting so much pushback, philliesfan94, is because there is what I call "contact fatigue." By supplying contact info, people fear the spamming (which is basically what SMS marketing is).

HeyVern

Reaction score
We're still at the point of using pen and paper to obtain members' contact information. Once in a while, someone asks if they'll get spammed. We tell them it's to only contact them if a payment does not go through. Most people give both phone numbers and email addresses. If they do not, it's no big deal. If/when their credit/debit card does not go through, they'll get cut off without a notice, but if they still want to remain a member, they'll get squared away with us.

I think the reason you're getting so much pushback, philliesfan94, is because there is what I call "contact fatigue." By supplying contact info, people fear the spamming (which is basically what SMS marketing is).
Absolutely right, every store around offers their own little loyalty card as a way of getting your phone and email so they can bombard you with spam as well as sell your info to other spammers and telemarketers. I never give them my information or carry their cards. Any business that sends me spam text messages gets their number reported and blocked and I never do business with them again.

philliesfan94

Reaction score
Do you like getting sales and telemarketing calls?
No of course not, but when you sign up for memberships or cards or really anything you generally have to give some form of contact information. Do you sell memberships? If so, what information do you collect? Up until this point I have only ever collected customer names and license plates. I'm willing to go back to that if that is common but figured a lot of car washes are probably collecting this information already?

philliesfan94

Reaction score
Absolutely right, every store around offers their own little loyalty card as a way of getting your phone and email so they can bombard you with spam as well as sell your info to other spammers and telemarketers. I never give them my information or carry their cards. Any business that sends me spam text messages gets their number reported and blocked and I never do business with them again.
So that would be my follow up question then: Does your wash sell memberships? If so, do you collect any contact information or just the customers name? Up until recently, I've only collected names and license plate numbers (we use LPR for memberships). I'm willing to go back to the old way but figured most washes probably have been collecting this information for some time but I could be wrong.

traveler17

Reaction score
No of course not, but when you sign up for memberships or cards or really anything you generally have to give some form of contact information. Do you sell memberships? If so, what information do you collect? Up until this point I have only ever collected customer names and license plates. I'm willing to go back to that if that is common but figured a lot of car washes are probably collecting this information already?
Yeah I do sell memberships, “Everwash” , been a while since I’ve personally signed one up but I would assume they need a number. I’ve heard no complaints but if you’re getting pushback that’s the reason. I block at least 3 calls a day. It’s annoying

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
when it comes right down to it you have to sell the customer what they want not what you want. I don't want a bunch of extra texts and calls during the week. It's too much.

How effective are these SMS marketing plans anyway? I don't use any of that to get customers to my car wash now.

I don't sell any membership plans and maybe if I did I would have different ideas about this but if I were a customer and I were getting calls and texts I didn't want I would block the number immediately. I bet a lot of people think the same way.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I get it, but I would have figured that other car washes have been collecting this information for some time. What information do you collect from membership customers if any?
I'm retired and actually have a membership at an express here. I don't remember if they took my number or not, but I don't get any spam from them, email or text.

HeyVern

Reaction score
So that would be my follow up question then: Does your wash sell memberships? If so, do you collect any contact information or just the customers name? Up until recently, I've only collected names and license plate numbers (we use LPR for memberships). I'm willing to go back to the old way but figured most washes probably have been collecting this information for some time but I could be wrong.
Yes I sell memberships and I collect all of their information. There is no way to do a membership program without collecting some information. However, collecting it and using it to send unwanted text

sparkey

Reaction score
I would never put the correct number in. I hate telemarketers with a passion. If a correct phone number was a requirement I would go elsewhere.

JLanman

Reaction score
Hey guys, let me offer an alternative approach to looking at this. A big part of customer service is having the means to communicate to your customers. If a message to your customer is beneficial to them, then they will not mind getting that message.

For example, we have customers that use the messaging tools to communicate that a bay is down and then report once it is back up. This is super beneficial to their customers to know a bay will be unavailable. Another example is if they are running a community event at the wash, they can spread the word so their customers can get involved. Or they use it to communicate a reduced price event, again benefiting the customer by telling them of the opportunity to save money.

The key is to use these tools with the mindset to benefit your customer. If you maintain this approach, and keep the messages to a minimum, then you'll have a successful tool to help you engage your customers; ultimately improving your image/reputation with those customers.

HeyVern

Reaction score
Hey guys, let me offer an alternative approach to looking at this. A big part of customer service is having the means to communicate to your customers. If a message to your customer is beneficial to them, then they will not mind getting that message.

For example, we have customers that use the messaging tools to communicate that a bay is down and then report once it is back up. This is super beneficial to their customers to know a bay will be unavailable. Another example is if they are running a community event at the wash, they can spread the word so their customers can get involved. Or they use it to communicate a reduced price event, again benefiting the customer by telling them of the opportunity to save money.

The key is to use these tools with the mindset to benefit your customer. If you maintain this approach, and keep the messages to a minimum, then you'll have a successful tool to help you engage your customers; ultimately improving your image/reputation with those customers.
All spam messages that would piss me off and get you blocked