What's new

Customer has choice of count up or down??

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I see in the "count up VS count down" poll that 3 people replied "I have the option." Whose equipment gives the option to the customer?? I haven't seen that feature listed, how does the customer select whether he wants to count up or down??

This is a feature i would REALLY like to have.

MEP001

Reaction score
The poll is confusing. I don't recall what I voted or what I made of the "I have the option," but I'm not aware of any equipment that lets the customer choose. All of the equipment I've seen allows the operator to set up the equipment with one or the other.

Why would you like the feature? I see no benefit of adding yet another way of confusing the people who can't even make the connection between the picture of the foam brush on the selector switch and the one they're scrubbing their car with while presoak is running out of the wand holder.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Why would you like the feature? I see no benefit of adding yet another way of confusing the people
LOL, well said. :)
I think most of my customers will prefer count down. But for the car loving 10% of my customers - who are generally my best customers - I'd like to give them the option of count-up. FYI I did survey my customers to ask about that. (Not an ICA sanctioned $1 survey, just a dozen informal conversations ;) ) Responses led me to my conclusion.

I too doubt the ability to choose exists, and I also question whether it is worth it, but I do not think it has to be confusing.

MEP001

Reaction score
There are other issues with count-down as well, such as the charge to you for each swipe. A lot of equipment doesn't allow batching of transactions, and even some that do still require a fee to you for each swipe. That means with a count-up, the customer has to swipe for each start-up value, and you may pay 4 or 5 swipe fees. It also takes the biggest convenience of credit card acceptance out of the equation: going back and adding more money.

Just some stuff to consider as you look for a system.

Charles Ho

Multi-Site Operator
Reaction score
Self-Serve Count Up/Down

Unitec WashPay can be configured either. Mine is set for count up. But a customer can swipe, timer counts up, press stop button any time before it reaches the per cycle minimum, timer will continue to run and stop automatically at end of cycle. Finish whatever the custojmer needs to do, swipe again, timer starts, press stop button, let timer run 'til it stops. Total of two cycles are batched together as one transaction submitted for clearing. One of the reasons for credit card acceptance in bays is to increase billable time. I have some bucket washers that swipe, fill the bucket, and wash, while timer is running. Makes you re-think the attitudes toward bucket washers.

Etowah