What's new

Customer damage to neighbors fence

wendy's wash

Reaction score
Need advice on one of my customers backing up in to a rod iron fence hitting the metal corner.
The back side is where they pull in to bays and then drive forward to Vac's. There is 31' of concrete slab on that side. The fence is about 3 inches on his property. I am pretty sure that a flat bed truck did the damage. Only one camera's on that side, and it is only aimed at where the lic. plates are read. Did not get plate. I told the neighbor when he said he was going to put up this expensive fence that people would hit it. It was just a matter of time. Should I offer to pay all or for some or should I just say I told you so. I will say neighbor has not called me when alarm goes off or when he knew my electricity was off due to lighting strike all day long on a Saturday. Which way should I handle this.

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't see how you could possibly be considered responsible for your neighbor's fence. If your mailman drove across your lawn and hit your neighbor's house, would you be responsible?

Randy

Reaction score
Nope! I wouldn’t pay for the damage to the neighbor’s fence. It’s not your responsibility to pay for your customer’s carelessness. If he has a problem with that tell him to turn it in to his insurance. Hold your ground, don’t give him anything.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Not sure about the laws in your state, but in PA if the driver of a motor vehicle hits something & causes damage, then leaves... that is a hit & run offense. Been to court over that. The property owner should be talking to the police and their insurance, not to you.

Be a helpful and sympathetic neighbor, but beyond that this has nothing to do with you.

Last edited: