What's new

Customer complains that ss high pressure removed clear coat. Help me respond plz

bert79

Reaction score
Had a customer that texted me this morning to "make me aware" that the high pressure in our self serve removed some clear coat sealant on her 2016 silverado.
Any of you seasoned professionals have a tactful way of responding? Never had this complaint before.

Randy

Reaction score
It’s not the fault of the car wash. If the clear coat on the customers vehicle is failing the high pressure can remove the clear coat, it’ll peel off like an onion. Text the customer back and explain that you can’t be responsible for his failing paint/clear coat and it’s not the fault of the car wash or the equipment.

OurTown

Reaction score
Are we talking about "paint" or "wax"?

bert79

Reaction score
Well I'm not exactly sure. She just said that the pressure took off "some of the clear sealant off my paint"

bert79

Reaction score
It’s not the fault of the car wash. If the clear coat on the customers vehicle is failing the high pressure can remove the clear coat, it’ll peel off like an onion. Text the customer back and explain that you can’t be responsible for his failing paint/clear coat and it’s not the fault of the car wash or the equipment.
Thank you Randy

MEP001

Reaction score
It's entirely possible there was something on the paint that softened it, like egg.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have signs saying not to hold spray nozzle closer than 3" to vehicle. That said, peeling clearcoat is a paint adhesion problem, not a car wash malfunction.

I tell customers; if everything on the car wash operated 'normally", then it is not the fault of the equipment.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Bert79,
I remember about 15 years ago a person tried to get me to pay him because the detail shop's just put on "over 5 year guaranteed" sealant came off supposedly at our self service car wash. The bizarre part about the proposition ... the detail shop owner appeared to be the biggest instigator for having my car wash pay.

bert79

Reaction score
Thank you all for responding. I did send her a text stating that the 1000 psi that we use in that bay was not able to remove the clear coat unless there was an underlying problem with the paint. I did offer to refund her wash and thanked her for being a customer. I have heard nothing from her in response. We have now been open for business for a year and a half and have washed thousands of cars. Not one single complaint like this.

washnvac

Reaction score
My bay signs say maintain 10 inches from all surfaces. Yet, I see folks all the time with the nozzle an inch or two from the surface. If there is a chip in the clear coat/paint it will peel like an onion, just like Randy said. The few instances I have had this, I just show them the video of them with the nozzle right at the surface. (of course, they told me prior they were at least 10 inches away)

I have never paid any kind of claim for a self serve wand bay where the customer is in control of the equipment.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Usually happens when folks are trying to remove bugs or tsr. Even happened to MY OWN DAUGHTER'S car, @ OUR wash.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Soonermajic Quote: "Usually happens when folks are trying to remove bugs or tar. Even happened to MY OWN DAUGHTER'S car, @ OUR wash. "

I was dumb enough to think that the solution for baked on bugs was holding the nozzle closer to the front bumper. I even showed a customer that if it was close enough ... the bugs will come off. To my shock the surface on the plastic??? bumper immediately peeled. I was lucky the customer was furious ... but not at me but at the dealer who had sold him the newer style car. That was over 5 years ago. Like I said ... i was lucky because i was the one with the gun in my hand doing an actual physical demo to show him my approach ... if you will. On some older vehicles this would not have been a concern. This happened it seems about 10 years ago.

When did they start making vehicles front bumpers out of plastic with the vulnerable coating over the plastic or was this just an exception????

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
When did they start making vehicles front bumpers out of plastic with the vulnerable coating over the plastic or was this just an exception????
Just about every car bumper painted to match the car is plastic or rubber. The plastic isn't the issue. Did you read this thread in its entirety? The issue is getting under a rock chip and lifting the paint. You were most likely trying to pressure off a rock chip.

Twodose

Reaction score
If that was the case at any carwash we would all be handing $1k's out for new paint jobs.