What's new

Customer claims pressure removed some paint from his bumper

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
When I click on the picture all I get is a “Spinning Daisy” When I tried to post a picture it wouldn’t load. Anyone else having this problem?
Click on the "Spinning Daisy". It worked for me.

I asked earlier in this thread and pcb's advice was spot on.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I do it the same way only I use Hostgator. There is a very low percentage of users who know how to link to a photo this way. So to help everybody including us (since most only know how to upload to the site) it is very easy to make changes so the images show up in the post. The settings also include options to only show attachments to only those who are logged in. It is quite extensive what you can do with the software that runs this site.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I get the spinning daisy thing as well. I finally right clicked on the daisy and it let me open it in a new window, but who knows how many pics I didn't see before I just blindly stumbled upon this. The pic either just needs to already be displayed in the post or at least pop up when you click when it says to click. It's not simple enough for the dummies out there like me and Randy, and trust me there are a lot of us.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Click on the "Spinning Daisy". It worked for me.

I asked earlier in this thread and pcb's advice was spot on.
You also have to click on "Reply With Quote" twice to get the "Quote" to show up in the post. Just figured this out.....

MEP001

Reaction score
I get the spinning daisy thing as well. I finally right clicked on the daisy and it let me open it in a new window, but who knows how many pics I didn't see before I just blindly stumbled upon this. The pic either just needs to already be displayed in the post or at least pop up when you click when it says to click. It's not simple enough for the dummies out there like me and Randy, and trust me there are a lot of us.
You also have to click on "Reply With Quote" twice to get the "Quote" to show up in the post. Just figured this out.....
I'm using Chrome - the photos display a smaller image in the thread and full-size when I click on them. The "Reply With Quote" works without clicking twice. I have entirely quit using IE because it's so sluggish and randomly crashes with sites that use Java or Flash.

The one thing I didn't like about Chrome was that your bookmarks aren't as easy to access as IE, so what I do is click Customize > Bookmarks > Bookmark Manager, then click Customize > Settings, check Open specific pages and have it open the bookmarks. After that you just open Chrome and your bookmarks are right there.

Imageshack provides a forum link that you just paste directly into your post, or you can copy the direct link address, click the "Insert image" button and paste it in there - sometimes I manually type [ img ] [ /img ] tags around the photo links when I post multiples.

Last edited:

pgrzes

Reaction score
I doesnt matter what you say or do, "WE" all know your equipment didnt cause the damage, but the customer, even knowing it wasnt your equipment will bad mouth you. I always tell people that have a claim like this to go down the street(police station is about a half mile away) to go down and fill out a police report, then turn it in to their insurance company to investigate the claim. If they(insurance co.) feels it was a carwashes equipment problem they will come after your insurance. Its not gonna happen!!! I wouldnt say anything other then that!! Some people are always looking for the angle to get you(US) in this business, and most of the time no matter what you do they will not be happy. If you start paying claims out you are opening yourself up to Pandoras box!!

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
then turn it in to their insurance company to investigate the claim. If they(insurance co.) feels it was a carwashes equipment problem they will come after your insurance. Its not gonna happen!!!!
I wouldn't say it's not gonna happen. Been to court more than once with insurance companies. Last time they dropped the case on the day of trial. I was ready to go. Under Illinois law they were required to pay my court costs. Since the numb nuts sued me personaly and then changed it to the corp my appearance fees totaled $320.00 Boy were they fighting not to pay. They judge straightened them out.
One time the judge said he would dispense some street justice. They sued for $2600 and I could have had it repaired for $600. The judge awarded them $1000.00.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
It almost looks like he hit the bumper with the end of the wand or the integrity of the paint was already compromised. It certainly doesn't look like peeled paint.

Randy

Reaction score
Luke keep us posted on the outcome of this. I find I to be very interesting.
In 32 years I have yet to pay out a dime to any customer who has tried to collect on damages to their car. I’ve heard every BS scam you can think of. One of the best ones is the guy who said the nozzle blew out of the wand and shattered his windshield. He wanted $200 to go away. You can use your imagination as to what I told him.
Another guy in a Ford F-150 with a painted grill and bumper was spraying the bugs off his grill and bumper with the nozzle about 2 inches away. He called me over and I watched him spraying off the bugs and he said look what your car wash is doing to my bumper paint it’s melting. It looked like the paint was being washed away. I said “You’ve got to be one dumb SOB” and walked away. He said “what did you say to me” I said again “You’ve got to be one dumb SOB anyone who would hold 1500 psi 2 inches away from there paint is a dumb SOB” He said I’ve never been talked to like that in any business I’ve been in. My reply was “There’s a first time for everything NOW leave”

acbruno

Reaction score
Here is a couple pics from the bay he wash in

I just got done viewing the video from this guys wash. He was only a few inches from the paint surface at times. I could not get video from the spot he said the paint came off because he parked too far in the bay. Here is a couple shots from my rear bay camera when he was entering and exiting. I can't make out any damage.

View attachment 472

View attachment 471

acbruno

Reaction score
After writing a few paragraphs, I decided to make it simple. Here's what I wrote back:

Luke, thanks for your email. I pulled the video of your wash on July 6th at 7:30pm. If you would like to discuss this further, please leave me a phone number and a good time to call you.

washme1

Reaction score
I bought a new 2008 Honda CRV. While washing it in my SS car wash bay, I noticed a spot on my bumper that looked like debris. When I tried to remove it with the spray wand it got bigger. That is when I realized it was a small rock chip in my bumper.

Reds

Reaction score
I have signs in my SS bays that say "This facility provides waxes, cleaning chemicals, and high pressure water - use at your own risk" My foam brush signage also says use at your own risk. These are CYA signs to get ahead of the many people out there who try to blame others for their mistakes or shortcomings. All of my signs are the result of bogus claims.

pgrzes

Reaction score
Ill have to print up a few of those!! Another one for you I just added this winter.
"Some options may not function properly during freezing conditions"
"Use At Your Own Risk"

acbruno

Reaction score
I attached a side-by-side picture which has the picture from the customer then one of the front of his vehicle as he was exiting the bay. My first question to him will be if he is positive this damage occured during his wash at the car wash. I should be able to see some type of blemish in the paint in that area but I can't make out any paint issues there. I had to zoom the camera in to get a bigger picture so it is not as clear as the original.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Just give him your insurance company name, policy number, and claim phone number. Let them tell them it's not your fault. That's why you pay them thousands of dollars every year, put them to work.

JeffM

The Canadian
Reaction score
You won't be able to make out most small marks on a vehicle from a camera at that distance & quality. Just remember, you did not do anything wrong. HE was the one who may or may not have caused that damage through no fault of your own. I wouldn't be surprised if you hear nothing more from this guy. Sending him to your insurance company right off the hop may just look like you are getting them to bully him into giving up. If he does want to talk more, simply explain that you cannot be held responsible for how the equipment you provide is used, and if it is misused, you are not liable.

If he genuinely thinks you are liable, he will take further action, at which point you direct to insurance. Otherwise he will probably forget in a few months and probably keep washing at your facility without any further incident. Just don't give in when you didn't do anything wrong and no compensation is due. This will spread faster than wildfire and you will probably have more claims of this nature if people know that you will provide compensation if people make enough noise.

MEP001

Reaction score
I'll bet you could tell more by the customer's reaction than by the images. Did he at any point while or immediately after he washed get down and look close at that spot? According to his email, he knows exactly how and when it happened. If that happened to me, I would likely stop, look and cuss.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Just give him your insurance company name, policy number, and claim phone number. Let them tell them it's not your fault. That's why you pay them thousands of dollars every year, put them to work.
Jeff_L,

Going too quick to the insurance company on these types of claims could be a Pandora's box of increased rates for all of us. We are the most familiar with how our equipment works ... not a potentially intimidated &/or lazy insurance adjustor. It sounds like the worst the claimant could do is take the operator to small claims court ... at which ... if presented properly ... the operator would most likely win.

Now if the small claims court judge called another operator as an expert who said something "stupid" like that he knows for a fact that the car wash was running more than "so & so 'so called' recommended pressure" than he should ... in his expert opinion of course ... then at minimum it would not help the cause any.

Mike Walsh King Koin http://kingkoin.com/USA_Deficit_Reduction.html