What's new

cummings bill sorter maintance

cmawash

Reaction score
we process a lot of bills and a bill sorter with capability to sort different type bills, separate, stack and face a certain way is very important. maintaining the bill sorter from cummings seems to require a lot of factory maintance and the quality of their parts are now being questioned. they have factory rep's that service the machines but the maintance cost seems to run about $650 a year. makes one question cummings and their product quality

chaz

Reaction score
Love my cummins. I have the two pocket bill counter. Bought used on eBay several years ago. I have a local cummins facility here that gives quick service. Never any major issues, but usually about $300. I save wear and tear on the rollers by opening the latches when not in use. Best machine I've ever had for $ counting...if u find a better one..let me know!

cmawash

Reaction score
part 2: called cummings, next morning 9am, service guy was there, 30 minutes later all fixed. $290 later all is ok, decided to get a service contract, machine was full of dirt from bill, replaced several rollers. dual pocket machine does separation, face up , correct facing bills and sorts into different $ amounts. machine needs to work and remain working, not sure how some other brands are for service when they go down and how long they take to get fixed but the cummings is up running and making life a little easier waiting for the next batch of bills

soapy

Reaction score
I had my first Cummins for about 18 years. I only sent it in once for service. They came to my location a couple of times to update the chip for new bills. This spring it went down and I had to send it away 200 miles for repair. They called back and said it was completely worn out and not worth fixing. I ordered a new one and they delivered it and said they would send a bill. No credit check just signed the invoice. It was a long 2 weeks waiting for the new one to arrive.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
Just find a new bank which does not require correcting the bill faces? Make the bank do it?

I would want to count my money first.... but my Dad found a bank he just dropped his money off there and they count it. The bank actually purchased and maintains a dual glory. The bank is making money off you.... just find a new bank. Especially if it cost you more money at that bank.

My favorite is banks that ask you to roll your quarters.... you can find a bank that will actually take mixed change. But most banks will take $1k bags.... in their bags.

I have a dual glory. But the most reliable counter is your hands.... it is always with you. LOL :) Plus a good old time teller can be almost faster then a counter.

MEP001

Reaction score
Have you considered a less expensive machine that off-sorts? It may take you longer but they can be had for under $200 and generally last several years with little to no maintenance. You could keep two machines on hand and use them in stages, off-sort from one into the second set for a different denomination and it wouldn't take much more time, and you'd still have a counter if one quit. Of course I've been hand-sorting for 30 years so the thought of how convenient a machine that will do it is lost on me.

vinh

Reaction score
I love my jetscan

I bought my Cummin Jetscan four years ago used of eBay and it has not given me any problems. Self maintenance is easy and it has be an excellent investment in time. I thought about buying another Jetscan as a spare but the current one has been rock stable. Most of the local back only have a counter and not a sorter. Sorter is the way to go. I can count and sort and label one carwash's week of cash in about 5-10 minutes.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
My first was around 15 years ago- the dual pocket scanner. It finally quit working and had supposedly become obsolete. I bought a newer model on ebay for around $1400 IIRC. Those machines will spoil you.

The rep told me to loosen the top panel to take pressure off the rubber rollers and keep them from getting flat spots on them. I just do that,and blow the dust out every now and then.

I think a service contract on a bill scanner for a car wash is not necessary. I could see it being needed in a high volume location, but not any car wash. My local bank branch uses their scanner more in one day than I use in six months.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
My local bank branch uses their scanner more in one day than I use in six months.
My local branch also has a bill discriminator/sorter.

cmawash: What about adding an extra pocket to that machine? Then maybe it could face the bills when sorting?
(Thinking about it more.... this sorter might not accept another pocket? It might be a different unit I have seen?)

Compared to my Glory discriminator the Cummings machine seems very complex.

Last edited:

soonermajic

Reaction score
What's price for an avg bill counter? I found a guy who has 1 that's 15 yrs old, & needs new belts. Said he'd take $90 for it. Hasn't yet told me what brand...but said it was a National known brand. He's 8p yrs old....lol

chaz

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor. Buy a decent, refurbished unit. I like the cummins two pocket unit as you can easily face bills and then count one denomination while all others are sent to the alternate pocket. These units are about 900$. Or...as was suggested...find a bank that will let you drop off uncounted bills for them to process between customers. I trust my bank, but I'd rather let them confirm what I've counted.

cmawash

Reaction score
What's price for an avg bill counter? I found a guy who has 1 that's 15 yrs old, & needs new belts. Said he'd take $90 for it. Hasn't yet told me what brand...but said it was a National known brand. He's 8p yrs old....lol
they all need service, cummings do cost more, but service is very important, its use less if it cant be fixed in a timely manner, we just pay the price and really don't want to hand sort. we handel all bills from $1 to $100, and the dual stacker does the job, our banks will not sort.

Kevin James

Reaction score
If you have one low volume car wash why do you need a bill counter?

soapy

Reaction score
My bill counter saves me at least 3 hours every week. I know I used to do it by hand. I do not look at it as a expense but rather as a money maker. The time saves you lets it pay for itself many times over.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
If you have one low volume car wash why do you need a bill counter?
If you have one low volume you may not need it. But if you only need a counter - not a sorter you can get one for $200 at Sam's club. I have one at each location.

toddmullens

Reaction score
We paid over $4,000 for our Cummins JetScan iFX. I feel like I got ripped off after reading this thread...still worth every single penny! I hated hand counting money from 11 different locations and it took so much time. Now I can accomplish the task in under 3 hours if I stay focused and away from phone calls long enough to concentrate. Where are you guys finding these for $900?

washnvac

Reaction score
We paid over $4,000 for our Cummins JetScan iFX. I feel like I got ripped off after reading this thread...still worth every single penny! I hated hand counting money from 11 different locations and it took so much time. Now I can accomplish the task in under 3 hours if I stay focused and away from phone calls long enough to concentrate. Where are you guys finding these for $900?
I paid $4k for mine, too. I would not worry about it. Like you, this thing has saved me countless hours and has been no maintenance issues. I have spent $300 in 8 years on the thing.

There is actually one on eBay right now starting bid $449. Some of them on eBay usually say for parts only. This one for $449, you really do not know if it works or not. Might be worth picking up, and spending a few hundred bucks to get it right.

chaz

Reaction score
Sounds like you bought a newer model, direct from Cummings. I bought an older model off eBay, likely after a bank did an upgrade and sold off older units. Mine works great for my needs....one wash...maybe two hours usage a week.

If I had 11 washes I'd buy a brand new unit too. Figure $1.00 per wash for a year and it's fully paid for. Worth every penny!

cmawash

Reaction score
1-2 shiffter rod and clivis pins too long and did not fit, had to used old parts, shi

Sounds like you bought a newer model, direct from Cummings. I bought an older model off eBay, likely after a bank did an upgrade and sold off older units. Mine works great for my needs....one wash...maybe two hours usage a week.

If I had 11 washes I'd buy a brand new unit too. Figure $1.00 per wash for a year and it's fully paid for. Worth every penny!
bought one from e-bay, had no instructions, had bad switches and was lucky to get it returned, the unit afterwards I found out that is was not supported by cummings as it was too old. when to car wash show and bough a new cummings two stacker for about $3000 there with a show special. saves time in counting $ for different locations. in 4 years spent about $1000 in maintance and for the amount of work it does we consider the unit cost effective. also cummings operating instructions are different and not logical. beware of after market units, cummings are all registered to buyer and cummings does phase out support and spares for older units. very good unit for heavy duty users