What's new

cryptopay

mjc3333

Reaction score
You can get the button at places like mouser.com, digikey.com, automationdirect.com, probably many others, for about $10 each. I bought a Harbor Freight mini screwdriver set which came with the proper tool to open the swiper from the rear. The buttons are fairly easy to replace.
I just found out and ordered one from digikey. I don't know if I ordered the correct button? I know it is the same diameter as the "old" flat button. It has 4 lead, 2 for the LED and two for voltage. Digikey model EG5712-ND. It says it is for DC voltage. I don't know if that makes a difference for the shutoff function of the button itself. Any help?? thanks in advance

mjc3333

Reaction score
Do you have yours set to push only for stop or to add $? Yep, it stinks to have to replace that many and see they clip a coupon on every transaction they should make you a deal if you "trade In" some not too old bad ones.
Not clear from your post.

Were they warrantied the first year?

Is it a total of 10 more over the next six years or 10 in the recent past?

I think it's a cost benefit analysis. i now have 8 bays and 4 vacs with cryptopay and last month which was't a great month they accounted for over $5K. Have had to replace a few over time but I also replace stuff like Vac Motors, etc. regularly.
I purchased 25 count up swipers during 2013 over about a one year period. I had problems from day one. 6 swipers had to be sent back under warranty for various repairs. Then, right before the warranty ran out, another 4 needed repair. That was the first 10. They cost me $0. Then over the past 4 years, I had between 6 to 8 more go bad, 5 needed to be totally replaced, 3 had bad stop buttons. These 3 with button issues were sent back and repaired. Now they told me anything less than SW8500 serial# cannot be repaired no matter what is wrong with them. I currently have 9 more swipers that either need a new stop button, and or repairs. I wish they had a "trade in" valve for these. Anything would help. If you think about it, I've had some of the repaired swipers go bad again, and even "new" ones, the 5 that had to be replaced still went bad. That's why, if I have to replace the 9 swipers that are currently down, it really is not cost effective, considering half only need a new stop button. I don't think they thought through the engineering process in the beginning. If you look at my situation, 14 of the original 25 purchased need to be replaced with new. I don't think that is a fair fail rate considering I spent over $10k in the beginning and now have to come up with $5k just to get back to where I was. Like I said before, I fell like I was the guinea pig, let's through mud at the wall and see what sticks in the beginning. I realize equipment will need to be replaced over time, but if you look at bay timers, vac timers, etc. they don't fail at that rate. More importantly, they can all be repaired.

mjc3333

Reaction score
So what system would you buy if not Cryptopay?
That's a good question. Wash Card is a great system, but to me not cost effective. Too much $$. I guess you get what you pay for. If I went with Wash Card, it would have been over $40k ouch! Wash Card also does so much more than Cryptopay. I only want to accept credit cards. Maybe something like Everwash would be next in line. There is that extra step the customer has to take with any system that does not accept the physical credit cards.

mjc3333

Reaction score
I just finished replacing the first of many stop buttons on my Crytopay swipers. They are from E-Switch ordered through DigiKey Electronics online. Part #EG5712-ND. It has the same look and feel of the 'old' original buttons that are flat. This new button fits right in the opening with no modification needed to the plastic housing. The button has the same 4 leads, two for the LED and two for the voltage drop. First picture is one with the new button installed. Tested it out, works just like new at a 96% savings over purchasing a brand new swiper.

The second picture is the back of the swiper with the metal face-plate removed. There are 4 oval shaped holes in the upper left corner that need to be connected to the new button. 24 gauge wire soldered to each lead on the button, then to the corresponding oval hole. If you are looking at the picture, the top oval hole #1 is the - lead to the button (the one lead off the back of the button is marked with a - sign). The oval hole at the bottom of the four, #4 is the + lead to the button (this one is also marked on the back of the button). The other two oval holes that are at 45 degree slant are the NO (normally open) connections. There would now be just two leads left on the back of the button. One lead from the back of the button would go to the #2 oval hole that is at a 45 degree angle, the other lead from the back of the button would go the #3 oval hole that is at a 45 degree angle.

If you have, like I do, the very old first swipers, the original button is soldered directly to the circuit board. Once you take the metal face plate off, you have to gentle heat up each lead that you will see sticking through the oval holes to remove the bad button without damaging the circuit board itself.

repaired swiper new button.jpg back of swiper circuit board.jpg

Randy

Reaction score
Mike, It looks to me like you've got some water damage issues also. I'm kind of surprised the readers aren't filled with jell or conformal coating on the board to prevent water damage to the board.

mjc3333

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. This board was one of my first swipers from Cryptopay from Nov 2012. This is the first time it was opened. I put plenty of silicone around the swiper when I install them. The only way water can get inside would be a large crack or through the mag head area. The mag head area inside is dry. I don't see any cracks or openings. This swiper believe it or not still works, just has a bad stop button. I started opening more switches, this seems to be the only one that has some kind of moisture / damage so far.

mjc3333

Reaction score
I was told by Crytopay NOT to open the swipers as it would void any warranty, made sense 6 or 7 years ago, not now. I just want to be able to salvage what ever I can. Already saved $375. The first repair was +/- $25.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Those Digikey vandal resistant 24V push buttons are almost identical to the quantity 35 or so that we are in the process of putting on our new faceplates for our Wascomat Gen4 washers in our laundromat. I see where they could be ordered for other projects at different voltages ... in our case it is 5v or 6v for the green ring. Another difference it appears is that ours are momentary & not continuous contacts.

mjc3333

Reaction score
I have an update to this thread. I also discovered that Cryptopay has updated the black plastic cc housing. I needed to order another switch. The new number from Digikey is EG044-ND. This switch along with the other number switch EG5712-ND are the only two so far that I needed. Really the only difference is the diameter of each switch. The EG5712 is 19 mm, the EG044 is 16mm. The one on the left in each picture is the 19mm diameter, the one on the right in each picture is the 16mm diameter. 20190906_113151.jpg 20190906_113206.jpg

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have crypto pay in 2 ss bays. very happy so far. none of the car wash equipment lasts forever and swipers are in a harsh environment, so you have to be realistic with your expectations.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
When I had just a few it seemed like no big deal. Now with over twenty it seems like
a noticeably high failure rate on components.

mjc3333

Reaction score
Exactly. I cannot say anything bad about how the entire Ctyptopay system works. I like it, as do the customers. I've been a Cryptopay customer since early 2012. I just wanted to share with other owners my story and hopefully some of my solutions. I have 25 bays total. The last time I needed to repair a timer was, I don't remember. I know nothing will last forever, but comparing this type of failure rate to other highly used components at the car wash, it will seem like a higher failure rate when you have 20 or more in use. From the sound of it, Crytopay has continued to update their products as do most vendors. Hopefully, the failure rate I experienced will be an exception. I don't plan on changing anything, just rolling with the flow.

pgrzes

Reaction score
I have about 30 Crypto swipers in service. About 15 of them are 8+ years old. I have only(knocking on wood), had 1 failure in over 8 years. I have been very happy with cryptopay and highly recommend them. They have been a pleasure to deal with and very easy to talk to and discuss ideas. I am wondering are your swipers in the center of your bay? If so I would think all electronics are in jeopardy of failure.

wyatt

Reaction score
I have an update to this thread. I also discovered that Cryptopay has updated the black plastic cc housing. I needed to order another switch. The new number from Digikey is EG044-ND. This switch along with the other number switch EG5712-ND are the only two so far that I needed. Really the only difference is the diameter of each switch. The EG5712 is 19 mm, the EG044 is 16mm. The one on the left in each picture is the 19mm diameter, the one on the right in each picture is the 16mm diameter. View attachment 713 View attachment 714
The 16mm one on their website doesn't show under that product number. The only one I could find that is 16mm is 1528-2546-ND but it doesn't have the exact same look as the current cc push button. Do you know if they still sell the exact match to the old one?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I just sent a reader in- I'm guessing cryptopay is charging a flat 150.00 to repair swipers. So thats a pretty big savings to install a new button yourself.

mjc3333

Reaction score
The 16mm one on their website doesn't show under that product number. The only one I could find that is 16mm is 1528-2546-ND but it doesn't have the exact same look as the current cc push button. Do you know if they still sell the exact match to the old one?
Sorry ED5044-ND was missing one numbet

MEP001

Reaction score
I hate to admit it, but I've used Digikey's customer support to get a part number crossover, then ordered the item from mouser.com, only because I had a list of stuff to order and Digikey didn't have some of it.

wyatt

Reaction score
I just took my first try at fixing a crypto pay swiper. I would have sent it in but mine are too old to be repaired now...

Anyways my reader was not recognizing when a card was swiped. What happened is the actual magstrip reader head got pushed back into the unit. After taking it apart I was able to message the spring back to where it pokes back out enough to read cards again. Sure beats buying a new $400 swiper.

In the picture it's the silver piece on the far right side.
IMG_3735D.jpeg

Last edited: