What's new

Cryptopay swipers keep shorting out.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
Not sure how new buttons will last, But at $350- Kinda Ticked at the last button to go with out warranty Buying swipers often makes CC acceptance expensive. LED's that are supposed to last forever don't last that long either. Maybe it's time for a recall.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
**UPDATE**

Crypto repaired and sent back the 2 dead swipers and requested I send them pics of my install. I installed them yesterday and sent them pics as requested.

They immediately emailed me back and informed me that they know what the problem is. I have the swipers installed horizontally. They are supposed to be installed vertically, with the button at the bottom.

So I spent yesterday redrilling holes and mounting them vertically. Fingers crossed that they stay working.

Now I will say this. As I mentioned to crypto yesterday, nowhere in the install manual does it state that there is only one correct orientation for the swiper. It merely says, "Install swiper using supplied bolts". So I installed it in the direction that best fit my meter box, which was horizontal.

Having to have them vertical is not as good for me as the swiper now blocks some wording on the face, but I'll deal with that if they stay working.

So any of you that have mounted them horizontally, I recommend you remount them vertically.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
**UPDATE**

Crypto repaired and sent back the 2 dead swipers and requested I send them pics of my install. I installed them yesterday and sent them pics as requested.

They immediately emailed me back and informed me that they know what the problem is. I have the swipers installed horizontally. They are supposed to be installed vertically, with the button at the bottom.

So I spent yesterday redrilling holes and mounting them vertically. Fingers crossed that they stay working.

Now I will say this. As I mentioned to crypto yesterday, nowhere in the install manual does it state that there is only one correct orientation for the swiper. It merely says, "Install swiper using supplied bolts". So I installed it in the direction that best fit my meter box, which was horizontal.

Having to have them vertical is not as good for me as the swiper now blocks some wording on the face, but I'll deal with that if they stay working.

So any of you that have mounted them horizontally, I recommend you remount them vertically.

Randy

Reaction score
I’ve had a few customers mount the Hamilton retro-fit credit card reader horizontal instead of vertical. They don’t seem to last too long when they are mounted horizontal. I think it’s harder for the customer to swipe there card when the reader is mounted horizontal.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
My cryptopay with the Non-working Button. May have new life as a Swiper for the vac, as the button is not needed with just a single swipe .

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
My cryptopay with the Non-working Button. May have new life as a Swiper for the vac, as the button is not needed with just a single swipe .
I wonder if in colder climates like where we are that have a more intense moisture in the air issue in our bays during the winter than with car washes with no overhead doors ... whether the Cryptopays will stand up in the long term. Any news on how or if they are going to address the likelihood of the need for the chip-pin in the near future?

MEP001

Reaction score
He's referring to credit card companies adding a chip within the card for "extra security."

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
What is this Chip-Pin? something along the lines of RFID?
Diamond,

What I was referring to was more as to the "entering of a pin" requirement of the new EMV standard. As far as the exact impact on the exact future hardware needed for the more moisture resistant needs of our coin box credit card acceptance ... it just seems like something to consider. More & more information is coming out all the time about the shift in liability to the least secure point of the use in the event of a compromised card. It appears to put the onus specifically on whoever's equipment is accepting credit cards. The point I wanted to make that is relevant to this thread ... is any added hardware components (needed pin entry or whatever) will need to address possibly extremely high moisture levels in the case of car washes (tougher climates) with doors both on their entry & exit during winter months.

The following is just one of many heads up articles about the specific chip-pin (EMV Standard). http://www.qsrmagazine.com/exclusives/are-you-ready-emv.

Just typing chip-pin & leaving out the EMV Standard part lead to the misunderstanding ... for which was not my intent.

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com

DiamondWash

Reaction score
So as I understand it from the First Data video I just watched the new cards will have a chip in them and a PIN has to also be entered into a keypad to validate the card before services or goods are purchased.