What's new

Cryptopay Swipe vs. Tap ?

soonermajic

Reaction score
Whats the big differences? Should tap be used over swipe, when you have a lil more sophisticated clientele? Or use tap if you have younger, more hip customers?
Which is more reliable, & easier for the customers....?
I want to get them in, & installed & running by March 1st. During bb season I work easily 100 hrs/week, & can't keep up with things...

David Rolf

Reaction score
I purchased 4 about 6 months ago and haven't installed them yet. My fear is more chargebacks. I can see people not hitting the button to end the charges. By having to separate units the customers need to actually think. We all know how that ends. Anyone run into this and have some thoughts?

soonermajic

Reaction score
You have to buy the swipe to get the tap. The tap is just an add on and has to have the swipe to operate. I wish cryptopay would make 1 unit that does both.
I did NOT know that! Thank you

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
We only have tap on our pay stations, not in our bays. Tap currently runs about 30%. They’re fast and easy. The only downside is when someone uses Tap, it doesn’t show their name on your dashboard it only says Tap.

At least for a paystation it’s a no-brainer. Options and redundancy are always a winner.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
No brainer on a paystation. Its much easier/quicker than swiping Takes up a lot of real estate on an already crowded meter or vacuum door.

fastlx

Reaction score
David,

I installed crypto on all my bays and vacs. This was over 2 years ago, I have had one chargeback. That's it. I do get some bad reviews on google ( they later change the review) because it holds a $10 charge and then later changes it to the correct amount. Some people look at their account at the wash and say " I overcharged them"... then they have to eat crow and see they were wrong. Best thing I ever did was to add the crypto... most people don't get a paper CC statement and don't see the max charge of $15.00 because they can't read how to turn off the charges on the swiper. I have 2-3 signs in each bay stating what to do. I just had a guy spend $95.00 to wash his truck, so I'm waiting to see if he is going to try a charge back, if he does i have video of him in the bay for 2 hours.
Also I just use the swiper no tap.

sparkey

Reaction score
David,

I installed crypto on all my bays and vacs. This was over 2 years ago, I have had one chargeback. That's it. I do get some bad reviews on google ( they later change the review) because it holds a $10 charge and then later changes it to the correct amount. Some people look at their account at the wash and say " I overcharged them"... then they have to eat crow and see they were wrong. Best thing I ever did was to add the crypto... most people don't get a paper CC statement and don't see the max charge of $15.00 because they can't read how to turn off the charges on the swiper. I have 2-3 signs in each bay stating what to do. I just had a guy spend $95.00 to wash his truck, so I'm waiting to see if he is going to try a charge back, if he does i have video of him in the bay for 2 hours.
Also I just use the swiper no tap.
You won't win the chargeback battle no matter what kind of evidence you have.

traveler17

Reaction score
We only have tap on our pay stations, not in our bays. Tap currently runs about 30%. They’re fast and easy. The only downside is when someone uses Tap, it doesn’t show their name on your dashboard it only says Tap.

At least for a paystation it’s a no-brainer. Options and redundancy are always a winner.
So tap only on your paystations or are you running both? Swipe on my paystations and bays soon but want to add tap to paystations for those that can.

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
So tap only on your paystations or are you running both? Swipe on my paystations and bays soon but want to add tap to paystations for those that can.
My Paystations have both Swipe and Tap. The Tap won't work without a swiper. I was saying that I only have Tap on my paystations and not on my meterboxes.

soonermajic

Reaction score
So general consensus is, just use swipers in SS bays, but offer both swipe/ tap on Paystations...

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I am a bit curious as to how many car washes successfully use a type of phone pay as an option? Maybe a QR code could facilitate that???

sparkey

Reaction score
I am a bit curious as to how many car washes successfully use a type of phone pay as an option? Maybe a QR code could facilitate that???
From my understanding the cryptopay tap will take phone payments. I don't have pay on my phone so I have never tried it.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
From my understanding the cryptopay tap will take phone payments. I don't have pay on my phone so I have never tried it.
A few years ago I was at a local cybersecurity workshop for small businesses co-sponsored by UND & SBA. There were some real zealots there who seemed to think that phone app payment was the future. The main speaker from SBA was a former FEMA admin shared some of the cybersecurity pitfalls in dealing with what he called "rogue phone apps".

Based on a networking chit chat following the session ... it appeared to me that most of the zealots chose to tune the former FEMA admin out when it came to those items that they did not want to hear. What stunned me from the workshop the most was that it seemed pretty clear that if a small business needed to hire an attorney locally for legal recourse ... based on everything said & not said ... pointed towards the need for "on the job training for the local law firms" .... YIKES?!😒.