What's new

Cryptopay- "partial" denial of bad CC

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
While working at the wash, a truck pulled into Bay 3. I heard the HP pump come on for 1 second, then switch off, and stay off. Not entirely unusual, maybe the customer switched the dial to foam brush? But then about 1 minute later the exact same thing happened. I walked over to the bay.

A perplexed female meth tweaker seemed upset about the equipment. (Driving a very nice new truck.) She said the machine malfunctioned. I asked if she pressed the green stop button and she said yes. I told her that shut the machine off. She said she tried it a second time, did not press any buttons, and it came on, then immediately shut off. Hmmm.

I asked her: "try it again." She swiped her card, the LED-7 display said "Verifying Card," then the HP pump came on for 1 second then immediately shut off. I presumed it was a bad swiper or equipment problem. I apologized to the woman, told her that her CC would get charged $9 (3 x minimum start of $3), and gave her 15 token for her time and trouble. She was extremely thankful, over the top.

After she washed and left (using tokens,) I tried swiping my CC and it worked just fine. Hmmm. Today I checked the "recent purchased" and there is no record of her card being swiped. So, I am confused. And I presume she was swiping a bad credit card.

Before, I have seen where a bad CC in cryptopay would not turn on the meter at all. This is the first time I have seen it start for 1 second, then quit.

If you swipe a bad CC, what is the normal cryptopay response? When I earlier saw it "do nothing," was that just because my selector was on stop? So should a "bad card" run the pump for about a second if a HP pressure function is selected? Finally, is there no message on the LED display to inform the customer a card is denied? If there is one, I haven't seen it.

OurTown

Reaction score
We have had the exact same thing happen several times. We suspect that the card was read fine and the system sees a good account but did not have the minimum hold amount available.

MEP001

Reaction score
I just witnessed the same thing at someone's wash. It definitely wasn't a card problem as it happened with several different cards that are for sure valid, and the same customer having trouble in that bay used another successfully. We didn't have time that day to call Cryptopay but I'll probably call them Monday to find out where to start.

I don't think it matters, but the customer having trouble kept swiping his card and then immediately pressing the button.

slash007

Reaction score
I've had this issue in the past and called Cryptopay. If it doesn't verify in time, it turns on, then once it hits the server and realized the card doesn't have the minimum $10 hold, it shuts off. Everytime it happens I've asked the customer and the card didn't have $10 on it. Doesn't happen often, but sometimes there is a delay in the signal. Mine is programmed (probably all?) to turn on if there is no internet then process cards when internet is re-established. Of course if that happens and cards are invalid, you won't get any money from them. I think it holds 24 or 48 hours of data that can be processed later so you are not down due to a temporary internet outage.

Starrwash

Reaction score
I agree, has happened at my wash also, I assume too low of balance in account. Does not bill customer. Also noted here pushing the button doesn’t stop the unit until approximately 30 seconds are on the clock(counting up)

Randy

Reaction score
If you try to use a gift card with no balence left on it it will do exactly what your talking about. Start for a minute and shut off. I've seen it it many times.

Jsshac

Reaction score
The only time I have seen this the internet was down and it will only store so many charges. Reboot the coordinator in the back room and see if it batched out in a little while it could take up to 2 hours to batch out call Cryptopay and see when the last time it batched out.