What's new

Cryptopay fleet card alternatives

Mel(NC)

Reaction score
I would like to be able to offer the local police department a fleet account. It is a small town and I would estimate the account would generate around $100/month in sales. I already have Cryptopay installed. However, Cryptopay's fleetcard program is cost prohibitive for a small account. Cryptopay fees would be about $33/month plus an activation fee of $250.

Has anybody come up with an alternative to using the cryptopay fleetcard?

Thanks!
Mel

soonermajic

Reaction score
This is a great question.
Here's something to ponder: if you're only gonna make $100/mo, why not give em free washes? Or, pay the $250 activation fee?

cityview

Reaction score
I went down this path and instead came to the decision to give them 20 free wash passes for $100/mo... Cheaper than the fleet card options. They then just insert the wash tickets.

Etowah

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Effective Jan 1st 2019 I stopped sending invoices out waiting for a check, so now I have all of my Fleets on a Company credit card program with my WashCard system so at the beginning of each month I just have to hit 1 button and all of my accounts are paid instantly. I got burned so many times with mailed invoices last year.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
If you have Bill accepters or token accepters you could just sell them Tokens, or the Bill accepter paper tokens in Bulk.
We have some contractor customers who insist on not allowing any of their drivers to use cash. It is taken care of with Coinco paper tokens in our bill acceptors. I heard that to do that with MEI Bill Acceptors ... it is cost prohibitive. Most coin acceptors can be programmed to also take tokens & they would be waterproof which IMHO would be better.

It kind of makes me squirm ... back in the day ... businesses would use "petty cash". As far as the tokens &/or credit cards protecting the accounting dept from an officer diverting the use for personal ... just the use of the card is not foolproof. I have advocated to some that instructions for the washing officer or staff member could be as follows: A very quick cell pic of time on coin box or drive up payment center & also a cell time dated pic how filthy the vehicle is in the bay. Maybe a 3rd cell phone time dated pic of the vehicle clean. Voila: 100% proof protecting against potential conversion of whatever for their personal use! For the high denomination coin & cash haters there is the same risk of dishonesty as from whatever kind of merchant fee based payment. What I am stating it seems like it could apply to any type of a car wash. Otherwise the evidence for just being used in a non personal washing way could be flawed!!!

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Effective Jan 1st 2019 I stopped sending invoices out waiting for a check, so now I have all of my Fleets on a Company credit card program with my WashCard system so at the beginning of each month I just have to hit 1 button and all of my accounts are paid instantly. I got burned so many times with mailed invoices last year.
How do you set that up on the BMC?

dukeofsuds

Reaction score
I haven't had to try this yet, but I've thought about this if approached by someone as my first customer. Like you, $250 and $33 month is steep for just one or two customers. Like you, I have CryptoPay.

1) Cryptopay Attendant cards. Depending on the volume, you could manually go through and send them an invoice. I think if I had more than 1 or 2 customers (or if they were large, this wouldn't work). Cards are $5 each, and no recurring charge.

2) CryptoPay is about to announce they have gift card program. I'm sure that'll be another $250 to turn on, and then you have to buy the cards which will probably be about $1 per card (including your car wash name/logo on card). This is from what they said at the KleenRite Expo. Anyway, gift cards can be loaded for any amount and reloaded. So if you were going to do gift cards (which I plan to do anyway), you could load (and reload) the gift cards and have them use them. They said this gift card feature would be working by the end of December, but it's not. How we will know it's live is when you see an option for it, right next to the fleet box.

These workarounds are more work to do a manual bill, but again, possible to do it as a trial to see if you want to get into fleets. If you do more fleets, then the fleet card program has to be the way to go.

OurTown

Reaction score
CryptoPay is about to announce they have gift card program
They have been saying that for months and maybe years. With them having the attendant cards now then maybe they are actually close.

Mel(NC)

Reaction score
I had considered using the attendant card. I like the idea of invoicing because no one would have to authorize refilling a card or buying tokens. Unless the invoice amount got way out of hand, I doubt it would be questioned or limited.

If there was way to limit a credit card to being accepted at your location only, you could hand these out and create invoices based on the bill. I don't think this exists.

pgrzes

Reaction score
I believe you can have any card added on your account as an attendant card. I believe you can even use a visa/mc gift card. I know you used to be able to add them. Not sure if they changed that with the attendant cards. I know I have my business Visa card as an attendant card at both my locations. I thought I heard that Cryptopay is limiting the use of the attendant cards.

dukeofsuds

Reaction score
Gift card is not credit. It's prepaid.
Sorry what I mean is that you could load say $50 on the gift card (or $100 or whatever). And then at the end of the month send a bill based on the delta between that number you loaded and what Cryptopay says is left on the card.

At least, that works technically. The timing of whether you get the money up front or after you bill the fleet customer determines whether the situation is a debit or credit.

MEP001

Reaction score
I believe you can have any card added on your account as an attendant card. I believe you can even use a visa/mc gift card. I know you used to be able to add them. Not sure if they changed that with the attendant cards. I know I have my business Visa card as an attendant card at both my locations. I thought I heard that Cryptopay is limiting the use of the attendant cards.
I was told they ceased allowing you to "learn" a credit card to use as an attendant wash-down card. My guess would be that it was to prevent people from using a customer's card as a monthly billable card until they get their gift card system ironed out.

theoffspringer

Reaction score
y'all are crazy, I use the fleet card program to bypass their insane ever wash membership program, I bill biweekly, don't have to spend thousands on cameras and signage nor give a cut to ever wash. I offer a 10% discount on fleet card. I lose maybe 7% on transactions after crypto pays 2.5% fleet card transaction. but the customers wash a lot more often than before. if your worried about a couple hundred a year let alone a month your probably in the wrong business. I also have a club wash tunnel 100 feet of me and I am setting record high usage of customers and revenue for the first time in this car wash's 44 years of existing.

edit* I have deleted all token sales, this allowed me to put crypto pay on my vacs and vending and have a single point of use fleet card track any and all purchases across all transactions and never have to clean tokens from quarters or them jamming up vacs and vending that don't accept tokens.

Last edited: