What's new

Crypto Tap on Self Serve bays

fastlx

Reaction score
I presently take cash, coins and CC on my self serve bays. I take all three and Tap on the IBA. What's everyone's opinion on tap for the bays?

MEP001

Reaction score
IMO the Cryptopay swiper is too finicky. I don't know why they don't improve on the swipe technology instead of selling another whole method of reading the card, doubling the cost of the hardware, especially when Nayax has both for less than a Cryptopay swiper.

They keep saying that the swipe on the card will be eliminated soon, but they also said the dollar coin was going to replace the dollar bill and everyone scrambled to change out their coin acceptors. I can't even get dollar coins.

OurTown

Reaction score
Our plans are to install them on our new larger bay boxes when we get around to installing those. The doors on our current ones do not have the space. I agree with Mep that the swipers can be finicky so the tap option should help with some of that. One day Cryptopay with most likely have them built together but who knows how long that will be.

Keno

Reaction score
They keep saying that the swipe on the card will be eliminated soon, but they also said the dollar coin was going to replace the dollar bill and everyone scrambled to change out their coin acceptors. I can't even get dollar coins.
There is a big difference between government agency saying something and private credit card issuers issuing discontinue dates. The credit card issuers have kept pretty much on schedule to what major changes they have announced previously. I wouldn't count on them continuing mag stripes after the time they say they are discontinuing them. Should prepare your sites well ahead of time, not scramble at the end. This was a big reason I chose Nayax over cryptopay

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
The credit card issuers have kept pretty much on schedule to what major changes they have announced previously.
No they haven't. I was integral in the deployment and maintenance of our credit card solution. One of the reasons we decided not to come out with a second generation was the industry announced in late 2013/early 2014 that magnetic strip cards would stop being issued in 2015. It would have meant a R&D investment that would have killed ROI. Reality is the card issuers aren't making that decision on their own. When the Walmarts, Targets, and Home Depots see the economic value of replacing hundreds of thousands of readers, then it will happen.

Keno

Reaction score
... When the Walmarts, Targets, and Home Depots see the economic value of replacing hundreds of thousands of readers, then it will happen.
This has already happened with the last rule change with chip cards. Any swipe transaction that isn't tried as chip or tap first is an automatic loss on a refusal by card holder. Every major retailer already has the infrastructure in place to accept non-mag swipe cards.

Eric H

Reaction score
One day Cryptopay with most likely have them built together but who knows how long that will be.
When I was at the last ICA show we asked the guy in the Cryptopay booth when the combination unit would be released. Guy said a combo unit would retail at over $900 and the upper management said that is too much money so it would remain as 2 separate units. I was with 3 other guys and we all looked at each other and agreed that we would be willing to pay $900. I’m hoping they change their mind. I have a box with 17 TAP readers that I haven’t had time to install.

Roz

Reaction score
When I was at the last ICA show we asked the guy in the Cryptopay booth when the combination unit would be released. Guy said a combo unit would retail at over $900 and the upper management said that is too much money so it would remain as 2 separate units. I was with 3 other guys and we all looked at each other and agreed that we would be willing to pay $900. I’m hoping they change their mind. I have a box with 17 TAP readers that I haven’t had time to install.
Problem is that almost all equipment manufacturers and installers in the car wash industry have never owned or operated a car wash. They have no clear vision how it really operates on a daily basis. Hard to find someone with such knowledge. One day someone will reengineer the cryptopay swiper and tap as they are simple devices and combine them. Then Cryptopay will regret their ignorance and lack of customer service with WorldPay.

Keno

Reaction score
You're willing to pay $900 when the competition has a better product that retails for about 1/3 the price?

MEP001

Reaction score
Then Cryptopay will regret their ignorance and lack of customer service with WorldPay.
That won't happen as long as Cryptopay is getting a portion of the CC sales kicked back to them through Worldpay. I can't help but wonder if that's even legal.

Keno

Reaction score
They are considered commissions, not kickbacks. Commissions are definitely legal

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
Every major retailer already has the infrastructure in place to accept non-mag swipe cards.
And every one of those retailers still take mag stripe cards. It's because of demographics. They know that the older the customer is the less likely they are to use tap or NFC payment methods. It's probably going to be at least 4-5 years before the real phase out of mag stripes takes place.