What's new

crypto pay or dan???

Etowah

mfbanks223

Reaction score
Thinking about starting an upgrade here soon. I currently have a Hamilton Goldline on my automatic that does accept credit cards but runs on phone line. I know I will need an internet connection. I don’t know much about cryptopay or the Hamilton Dan system and looking for advice. I want to start on automatic and then add to self serve bays. Looking for recommendations.

MEP001

Reaction score
The Hamilton D.A.N. has a lot to offer, but if you don't plan on using prepaid or fleet cards or using the money tracking, go with Cryptopay. Both these systems have very high processing fees. Both Hamilton and Cryptopay get a cut of every card transaction, as does your merchant service.

OurTown

Reaction score
The Hamilton D.A.N. has a lot to offer, but if you don't plan on using prepaid or fleet cards or using the money tracking, go with Cryptopay. Both these systems have very high processing fees. Both Hamilton and Cryptopay get a cut of every card transaction, as does your merchant service.

Cryptopay has both fleet and prepaid cards and what do you consider really high fees?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Crytopay is so inexpensive and easy to install its hard to recommend any other system unless you plan to do extensive fleet operations.

I would do SS first, then auto since you already have CC on the autos.

bert79

Reaction score
Cryptopay is great!! You will NOT be disappointed. People spend more with cc, over and above the fees. We have averaged about 4.5% all in as far as fees. 30-35% of our gross is cc.

MEP001

Reaction score
Cryptopay has both fleet and prepaid cards and what do you consider really high fees?
Hamilton's fleet and prepaid card systems are more flexible, and the prepaid cards can be purchased from a changer and recharged by the customer on site.

Considering you can get card services for around 2% and just a few cents per swipe, paying 6% and up for fees is a lot. With a Hamilton D.A.N. in SS bays running count-up, you've got nearly 75¢ in transaction fees from the moment the customer swipes their card.

MEP001

Reaction score
I would do SS first, then auto since you already have CC on the autos.
I would recommend the same. Dialup processing may be on old technology, but it only takes about 10 seconds longer for dialup to process a card. Once you plug the processing into a D.A.N. you get stuck with e-Xact and higher merchant fees plus much higher transaction fees.

OurTown

Reaction score
Hamilton's fleet and prepaid card systems are more flexible, and the prepaid cards can be purchased from a changer and recharged by the customer on site.

Considering you can get card services for around 2% and just a few cents per swipe, paying 6% and up for fees is a lot. With a Hamilton D.A.N. in SS bays running count-up, you've got nearly 75¢ in transaction fees from the moment the customer swipes their card.

Where can you get card services for 2% and just a few cents per swipe? Last month our all in Crytopay/Worldpay fees were 4.5%. Hamilton sounds really expensive.

MEP001

Reaction score
I just found one called Payline that's 0.15% + $.07 per transaction, but it says restaurants only. Payment Depot advertises $.15 per transaction and 0% processing.

Hamilton doesn't get a cut of the processing fee, just a transaction fee. It comes out pretty close to Cryptopay, but Hamilton's equipment is three to five times more expensive depending on installation.

Roz

Reaction score
I just found one called Payline that's 0.15% + $.07 per transaction, but it says restaurants only. Payment Depot advertises $.15 per transaction and 0% processing.

Hamilton doesn't get a cut of the processing fee, just a transaction fee. It comes out pretty close to Cryptopay, but Hamilton's equipment is three to five times more expensive depending on installation.
We have a DAN at one location (we inherited it) and CryptoPay at another (we installed it). With the DAN system you can program your Goldline Paystations remotely from your desk in the equipment room. Otherwise the CryptoPay system is basic but very solid, easy to install and use, and a great system. If you make your Min charge $5 (giving customer time at same rate as cash) your CC fees are about 3.2%. For the DAN system you will need to read the manual to know how to use. Only challenge with CryptoPay is drilling two holes into stainless steal - a hard slow process. The DAN system may need wired internet at the Paystation and at each SS bay whereas Cryptopay uses the wireless network you set up from your Fios or Comcast modem.

I would keep it simple and go with Cryptopay unless you have a specific reason for using a DAN system.

MEP001

Reaction score
Only challenge with CryptoPay is drilling two holes into stainless steal - a hard slow process.
Three if you count the wires. Cobalt bits make really quick work of the holes. No center punch or you'll tool harden the spot where you want to drill.

imserve

Reaction score

Are you saying there is a min charge of at least .75 for every transaction?

I am buying a busy wash with D.a.n. CC in auto and bays...I would switch over to Crytopay if not for the fact I would lose paper receipt capability, lot of customers currently printing them

We are averaging just below 5% with crytopay at another wash

MEP001

Reaction score
Are you saying there is a min charge of at least .75 for every transaction?
I don't know if they've changed things, but for us it used to be something like 36¢ per transaction, most of which went to e-Xact, and for count-up each single swipe counted as two transactions.

OurTown

Reaction score
One more reason to go with Cryptopay is that they are one of the few that have a vending machine option. It does not work on all machines but a fair amount of them.

MEP001

Reaction score
If I were to put Cryptopay on individual electronic vendors, I wouldn't buy the vendor units without the button. You can use the standard ones and they cost the same, then you don't have units you can't swap into a bay if you have a bad one.

D.A.N. would be far too expensive to put on vending IMO.

OurTown

Reaction score
If I were to put Cryptopay on individual electronic vendors, I wouldn't buy the vendor units without the button. You can use the standard ones and they cost the same, then you don't have units you can't swap into a bay if you have a bad one.

I'm talking about the MDB swiper for glass front spiral vendors.

chip@laurel

Manufacturer
Reaction score

For the Laurel vending machines you have to use the non-button Cryptopay swipers. The software coding is different for vending machines (MDB is the term) as compared to timers. Also the button would confuse some people as they need to push the selection button on the 3 or 5 column machines to get the product, not the Cryptopay button.