What's new

Credit card surcharging

Scott220

Reaction score
I understand the new trend is now charging credit card fees back to customer at time of purchase. Has anyone had the nerve to start this and what has customers reaction been?

jubalr

Reaction score
Fees are just another cost of doing business. It should already be included in your pricing, just like the light bill. If your margin is already so tight for that to make a difference, go up another dollar on your pricing. It will be more accepted than customers seeing their receipt for more than the stated price on the menu.

OurTown

Reaction score
I understand the new trend is now charging credit card fees back to customer at time of purchase. Has anyone had the nerve to start this and what has customers reaction been?

This has been going on for many years at some places. The two that I can think of right off the top of my head are car dealers and the local DMV for for tags/plates/licenses. (They call it a convenience fee) Have you seen car washes do this? We wouldn't dare try that and I have brought up the thought before that accepting cash may actually cost more than CC.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
In the SS Bays with LED 7 Timers you can offer "Bonus Time " and it only works for Cash. You can also have a separate minimum start charge for CC and that along with count up compensates for the cost.

TMoliver

Reaction score
I know a wash owner who added a nickel to each transaction. He had 3 locations in rural KS & MO this was 10 or 11 years ago. He had a few complaints but not as many as he has with his count up know. People forget to press the STOP button and how much time they really use.

The guys using the new touch all in one readers (Monex or Nayax) are seeing more revenue when the set them up with multi pricing on the screen. The base charge I have seen is double your cash price and goes up in at least $1 and $5 increments.

These readers are available direct from the mfg., catalog houses and from servicing mfg like IDX and others.

Scott220

Reaction score
My CC rep said it’s pretty much the norm now down state in MD. I‘m now seeing it locally in a number of restaurants. Just don’t see how we could get away with it in our trade. My rep also admitted he gets a better cut of the sale with this process. Just curious if anyone has attempted and the feedback? Thanks all!

chaz

Reaction score
I can’t stand paying card up charges! ….And won’t charge them at my place. My pricing is based on card sales…so cash payments are more bread and butter…..but same price for all. Plus…card sales do save on time for money processing and coin and bill acceptor maintenance and service. A restaurant I recently went to offered a cash discount vs card up charge….accomplishes same thing but has a better feel in my opinion.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
The guys using the new touch all in one readers (Monex or Nayax) are seeing more revenue when the set them up with multi pricing on the screen. The base charge I have seen is double your cash price and goes up in at least $1 and $5 increments.
Would love to hear more about this. .

MEP001

Reaction score
The guys using the new touch all in one readers (Monex or Nayax) are seeing more revenue when the set them up with multi pricing on the screen.
I'd also like some more data about this if it's out there. I would assume this method with a pre-purchased time chunk is compared against count-down where the customer still has to add time via CC just like keeping the timer running with quarters.

TMoliver

Reaction score
My main reason for switching from count up to muti pricing, No phone calls when someone forgets to press the cancel button or they use more time than they want to admitted to. No phone calls because a credit pending is on their bank account.

Customers now are able to see the amount of they want to purchase. In the rare case they will tap there phone for an additional amount.

We get feed back from customers that the reader display is a nice touch.

Rookie68

Reaction score
My main reason for switching from count up to muti pricing, No phone calls when someone forgets to press the cancel button or they use more time than they want to admitted to. No phone calls because a credit pending is on their bank account.

Customers now are able to see the amount of they want to purchase. In the rare case they will tap there phone for an additional amount.

We get feed back from customers that the reader display is a nice touch.
Would you be so kind as to post or send a pic of your setup ?
I am getting closer to replacing my old school coinboxes and have been dreaming about count up. Quarters only right now. So new Dixmoor timers are on my list.

RSF

Reaction score
We use $5,6,7,8,9 options on VPOS that customer can use “+/-“ to add or subtract. If a customer does not select an amount, the $5 is a default. I only have the price on the screen, nothing else. That makes everything work smoother and less confusing. Customer just inserts or taps card and machine will start running even if they do not touch the screen. I use a small sign to advise to select amount and a larger one showing time received per amount selected. My average sale is well above $5 and fees much better than any others we have used. Units are very reliable and have good feedback from customers. Nayax is very busy/behind, but usually will return a call within the day. I’ve attached photos of pulse setup

Attachments