What's new

credit card reader in WSII very hard to use

Etowah

sterlingh20

Reaction score
The credit card reader in my 4 year old WSII is very hard for customers to use, you have to insert it and remove it very slowly in the correct position to get it to work, people sometimes get frustrated and leave, i tried cleaning it and that didn't work, it does this on both pay stations. Is there a updated credit card reader for the WSII?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
You might could try disassembling and cleaning. But they do eventually go bad and have to be replaced. If you got four years out of it you've done well. I try to keep a spare on hand.

Andyjmyr

Attendant
Reaction score
same problem

We sometimes have that same problem. We have found that inserting the card slow and taking it out fast does the trick. Cleaning the credit card reader will do wonders to an extent. I'd recommend disassembling the reader and doing a thorough cleaning. If this doesn't work.... it's probably time for a new reader :(

I went to the KR learn more earn more expo in Vegas last January and saw that Wash Gear had a credit card reader to take the stripe both ways. It would be nice if the WSII had that......hint hint.....We've invested some money into getting an artist to draw an illustration of what the customer needs to do. This works to an extent but we're finding on the accounting reports that bad card reads are up in the 100-200's?!

Hope this helps,

AM

sterlingh20

Reaction score
washgear looks like it uses the same brand that is in the unitec's could their new reader that works on both sides fit the unitec?

tobaccofarmer

Reaction score
I also have had these problems. Several months ago I looked into the reader that swipes both ways and researched extensively the ability for it to work in the WSII. After talking with Unitec according to them the software they have will not allow another type of reader to work? I really don't see how, but at that time I just bought a new reader and haven't had any problems since, however we need to push Unitec in adapting a double swipe reader in that machine. Customers don't read or think, they just go through the motions and also seem to swipe with stripe to left first?

MEP001

Reaction score
sterlingh20 said:
washgear looks like it uses the same brand that is in the unitec's could their new reader that works on both sides fit the unitec?
You could ask them, but card readers are more proprietary than they look. THey're usually designed or programmed specifically for one system and won't interchange with another.

MEP001

Reaction score
sterlingh20 said:
Will a washgear credit card reader work in the unitec?
Card readers have software programmed in them by the makers of the system which means they're not interchangeable with other systems.

Andyjmyr

Attendant
Reaction score
I'm confused...

So I guess I started something on this post about WSII and wash gear readers. I just went to the Wash Gear web site and saw that they make equipment for the WS ACW?

Unitec ACW Terminal
Item Number: CM-UNI Price: Category:
Products > Terminals
$1,710.00 CardMate Unitec terminals are capable of activating any wash option on compatable Unitec auto cashiers with a single swipe and the CardMate won't accept card transactions if the automatic wash is out of service. CardMate also can't be activated for the same wash multiple times by accident, which wou...

Randy

Reaction score
I?ve done a lot of research on credit card readers. The manufacture of the card reader used by Hamilton, Unitec and Washgear is Neuron. They don?t repair the card readers or sell parts to repair the card reader. It?s pretty much a throw away item. If the reader is having a hard time reading the card or the cards are getting stuck in the card reader replace the reader. Sometimes you can disassemble the card reader and file the card stop in back of the side plate and get a little more life out of the reader if cards are getting stuck in the card reader. The card readers are not interchangeable from one equipment manufacture to the other, it would be nice but with the proprietary software from each manufacture it won?t work. I also looked at the Neuron dual card reader at the Kleen-rite Expo. It?s a nice reader, It?s twice the price of a single sided reader.

madscientist

Reaction score
We've invested some money into getting an artist to draw an illustration of what the customer needs to do. This works to an extent but we're finding on the accounting reports that bad card reads are up in the 100-200's?!

Hope this helps,

AM

the problem is that our unitec and washgear readers require the swipe to the right, the opposite of all the gas stations' card readers.