What's new

Credit Card Reader for self serve Car wash - best company?

Peterhynes231

Reaction score
Hello i'm looking for any advice on the best credit card readers for self serve car washes. I am taking over my fathers car wash and he has the crypto swipe installed. I've been told that credit card companies are getting rid of the swipe feature as a whole in North America by the end of 2023 so i want to get ahead of the crowd.

This is what I know so far:

Nayax terminal is cheaper but I have heard they only have an IP 54 rating which means they're not fully water proof. Has anyone had any trouble with water, dust etc getting into there machines? Is customer service good?

Crypto don't do an all in one solution I don't have space on my bay for more then one terminal.

I've been hearing things about a company called Monex but they come in more expensive, does anyone with one of there terminals have any feedback on there devices?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

OurTown

Reaction score
Don't get too excited about the hype around swipe going away as they have been talking about that for years. They have however moved some of the fraud responsibility over to the merchant if not using EMV but it may not be a really big deal yet. I'm not sure about the "best" system but Cryptopay has been good for us. They all have pros and cons.

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
2027 is when you need to start worrying about swipe being a problem in the US. If you are in Europe, 2024 is the magic number.

These are the dates Banks will no longer be required to issue cards with a mag stripe...

"By 2029, no new Mastercard credit or debit cards will be issued with a magnetic stripe"

https://www.mastercard.com/news/perspectives/2021/magnetic-stripe/
Been hearing that same thing since 2013 or 2014. When Walmart stops wanting to take the mag stripes, they'll go away. The huge merchants are driving it. Not the banks.

Peterhynes231

Reaction score
ok that's fair enough, I still feel I need to offer an all in one solution that accepts apple pay, watch, phone etc for the younger generation. I feel it will drive more business for us.

Would anyone here have any experience with Nayax or Monex?

Wash4Life

Reaction score
Been hearing that same thing since 2013 or 2014. When Walmart stops wanting to take the mag stripes, they'll go away. The huge merchants are driving it. Not the banks.
But if the huge merchants are demanding mag stripes, why is Mastercard going ahead with a phase out plan of them by 2029?

To the best of my knowledge, we're the only industry that relies heavily on swiping cards. Most places, you can only swipe your card if dipping the card does not work. Even then, odds are you'll be able to dip, instead.

My guess is that swipers will still be around because of gift cards.

SuperShine

Reaction score
I’d look hard at Monex and Nayax. Keep in mind that prices can be negotiated depending on your rollout size. They want your business, make them work for it.
Because Monex doesn’t rely on individual SIM cards for each reader like Nayax, Monex is less expensive for your per unit, monthly recurring fees.

Don’t let the upfront cost of the readers determine who you’re going to be partnering with long term for a crucial component of your business. Look at their support, merchant portal, how they integrate with your Wash club and fleet programs etc.

Nayax is good hardware and generally works well once setup properly on bays and vacs but I wouldn’t buy directly from them. Go through a distributor that you trust and has experience outfitting their meter boxes or auxiliary add on payment boxes with Nayax. They’ll have a backup stop button and relays built into their equipment. Get the weather covers if installing in the bays.

Nayax can be a nightmare to get onboarded with and initial start up support. Lean on your distributor for that.

Swipe has been dead up here (Canada) for a few years now. Liability shift and non EMV & PCI surcharges came into effect for non compliant merchants a couple years ago.

We're tap and chip and pin insert on every Debit and Credit card. Plus apple and Google pay is growing very fast. Once you use it you don’t go back.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Cryptopay customer service crushes the rest yes it has flaws but I can call and they will call you back with a American Colorado speaking Citizen that talks clear English in technical support and know what’s going on with the equipment to me That means a lot vs the other company’s I have looked at and talked too.