What's new

Credit card processing

Rainway

Reaction score
The biggest cost is the interchange / discount fees - I believe those are universal regardless of processor right (cram-down charge from visa/mastercard/amex). For that cost, it varies by type of card used. Most customers of ours use their airline mileage card which is Visa Signature card... shows up as "V Sig Pref Retail"; interchange rate for that is 2.1% + $0.10/trxn.

I went through my local bank for processing. In addition to intercharge I pay $0.12/transaction for merchant auth and some other dues/assessments/discounts - some flat monthly fee others %'s and average 50-65% of what the interchange discount fees typically are.

All in between interchange and the other fees it averages 3.3% Then I have e-Xact fee each month for Hamilton Goldline ACW, etc.

What does TSYS charge?

Merchant Fees.gif

wyatt

Reaction score
2.5% USAePay through WashCard
I have a couple washes with Washcard and they currently use Worldpay. I'm almost always over 5% just from Worldpay. Is the 2.5% an all in cost for USAepay? Do you have extremely high volume to get that rate? Feel free to DM me if you would rather not share on an open forum. Thanks

Etowah

soapy

Reaction score
I checked my Tsys charge last month on my Goldlines and the total all in rate was 4.78%. FYI Tsys recently changed who does the yearly PCI compliance. I have seen the non comliance rate rise from $49.99 per month a couple years ago to $81.99 per month for non compliance. Make sure you are PCI compliant!

MEP001

Reaction score
I checked my Tsys charge last month on my Goldlines and the total all in rate was 4.78%. FYI Tsys recently changed who does the yearly PCI compliance. I have seen the non comliance rate rise from $49.99 per month a couple years ago to $81.99 per month for non compliance. Make sure you are PCI compliant!
If you're running dialup processing, you're 100% PCI compliant because dialup processing can't be intercepted. They should not be charging you for anything related to PCI compliance.

soapy

Reaction score
Yes it is much easier to comply with dial up but you still have the questionaire to fill out.

MEP001

Reaction score
You can opt out. It's not mandatory that you comply. I dealt with Tsys as a regular merchant, and yeah, they wouldn't accept that since we only had a dial-out terminal that we should be exempt from compliance, so we ended up filling out the questionnaire creatively.

cooll903

Reaction score
but dial up is so slow when you want your guests, and your guests want, to get in and out as fast as possible. that time eats at their patience.

MEP001

Reaction score
but dial up is so slow when you want your guests, and your guests want, to get in and out as fast as possible. that time eats at their patience.
Hamilton's Goldline is pretty fast since it starts the process as soon as the card is swiped. If you swipe and make your selection, you hear "Please wait while your transaction is processed," then barely 10 seconds after that it's done. Broadband interrupts the processing prompt, but still doesn't save a full 15 seconds.

Roz

Reaction score
So TSYS just announced new PCI related fees starting with January statement. A PCI Program Support Fee, and a non compliance fee. No mention as to the actual amounts so it will be a January surprise.

Roz

Reaction score
We use TSYS and its right at 3% with all fees included.
So our fees have been about 3.25% until the November statement arrived. They added an Analytics/Reputation Management Fee for $50. The fees pages is a full page in length with more line items than you can imagine!

We are trying to get it removed as it brings our new rate to 4%.

jasonHTCW

Reaction score
The biggest cost is the interchange / discount fees - I believe those are universal regardless of processor right (cram-down charge from visa/mastercard/amex). For that cost, it varies by type of card used. Most customers of ours use their airline mileage card which is Visa Signature card... shows up as "V Sig Pref Retail"; interchange rate for that is 2.1% + $0.10/trxn.

I went through my local bank for processing. In addition to intercharge I pay $0.12/transaction for merchant auth and some other dues/assessments/discounts - some flat monthly fee others %'s and average 50-65% of what the interchange discount fees typically are.

All in between interchange and the other fees it averages 3.3% Then I have e-Xact fee each month for Hamilton Goldline ACW, etc.

What does TSYS charge?

View attachment 2240
I am showing for VS Signature Preferred Retail 2.100%+$0.10 I had a total of 22 last month for $9.86 in fees

washnvac

Reaction score
Thanks Roz for pointing out that analytics fee!! I never even look at my statements; I suppose I should. I just sent them an email to cancel that bs on all three of my accounts. I agree with you about the full page of fees. What a load of crap it is!

My all in average with TSYS is 5%-5.2% with five locations.

Allan

Reaction score
Hello,
We are new to car wash ownership and have a lot to learn! Looking for recommendations for credit card processing companies.
Thanks!
Were you looking for a single desktop small terminal to just key in the amount of the sale and insert the credit card for payment? Some of them come with a online terminal where you can also key in the customers credit info for payment by computer of mobile phone making it easier to add customers you can set up a monthly payment plan with. I deal with a processor who works with both TYSYS & FirstData. email allan@jayacomholdings.com if you need more info

Last edited:

jasonHTCW

Reaction score
Thanks Roz for pointing out that analytics fee!! I never even look at my statements; I suppose I should. I just sent them an email to cancel that bs on all three of my accounts. I agree with you about the full page of fees. What a load of crap it is!

My all in average with TSYS is 5%-5.2% with five locations.
I am not showing that fee for analytics. I do have these fees
maint fee $25
batch fee (60) $15
card compromise assist $7.95
mc per location fee $1.50
pci non compliance $19.95
statement fee $9.50
vs/mc/ax/ds pass through fee $376

WOW! I guess the 1.5%to 3% per transaction is not enough.

Where do I find the analytics fee?