What's new

Credit Card minimum start charges

MEP001

Reaction score
I feel like I'm sneaking it in, but it's just a quarter. I feel better about that than charging two or three times as much for startup with cards than with cash.

chaz

Reaction score
Here’s a thought... “sneak” that quarter in across the board cash or credit. Now no confusion all are paying same price and the cash guy can help cover the c/c

OurTown

Reaction score
Here’s a thought... “sneak” that quarter in across the board cash or credit. Now no confusion all are paying same price and the cash guy can help cover the c/c
That's what we did but it was 50 cents. We set it up for count up with the same start up as cash and 25 cents per button push just like dropping another quarter. It seemed to us easier to explain and convert people from cash to credit. Someday we may go to count up.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I do not like being charged fees for using my c/c. I feel it’s part of doing business. ...
If I were running the Zoo customers who cost me more would pay more instead of customers who cost me less subsidizing the higher cost customer. Simplest solution is for CC companies to charge the cardholders all costs as opposed to the merchant.

chaz

Reaction score
If I were running the Zoo customers who cost me more would pay more instead of customers who cost me less subsidizing the higher cost customer. Simplest solution is for CC companies to charge the cardholders all costs as opposed to the merchant.

Ok then.....I guess you are a cash guy. I carry little cash (I’m a points guy) and I avoid establishments whenever possible that take cash only or chg c/c fees....just my choice. Like I said part of the c/c fee is offset with higher spend and less cash handling....especially at my s/s bays with count UP !

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't advertise the difference, just the cash start-up price. I forgot to mention that I also set the increment for 50¢ instead of 25¢, so we're getting a little more from that.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Jeff_L thanks for the input on the KR meter boxes as I was wondering about those. I assume you purchased the high security version?
I did, heavy gauge stainless steel. They are mounted in a brick wall, so really only the faceplate is accessible. You’re not going to drill through the plate and a crowbar won’t get you very far either. Of course, a smart thief (I use that term lightly) could find a way in, but he’d need some good tools and would be hard to hide what he’s doing.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Ok then.....I guess you are a cash guy. I carry little cash !
My point of view comes from being a Gasoline retailer. Make 40 cents gross on a $3.00 Gallon of gas and assuming someone buy 10 Gallons give up 25% of your gross (.10) to credit card fees. Sure, there is some convenience to not handling cash. But there is also the downside of CC Companies sticking it to the merchants with chargebacks.

Burky

Reaction score
Raised my CC min. to $4 in Feb. from $2. Only had 5 people ask me why.
I told them between the bucket washers and the fee’s at $2 min. I was wasn’t making anything.
They all said I should have raised a long time ago.
I am curious how many minutes they get at that price?

Damoni88

Reaction score
Have my cash/coins set to $3.00 for 4min 30 secs. Have my cc set with count up( best change I ever made going count up) to $4.00 for 6mins. Southwest Louisiana.