What's new

Credit Card Acceptance

Roz

Reaction score
Received this info from Monex on their fees and costs. Technology is coming along but for now they make CryptoPay look like the better option in terms of costs, fees, and ability to control the equipment remotely.

Attachments

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
Wow! It looks like they’ll nickel and dime you to death with fees!

I was expecting a merchant fee system like Nayax had where no matter how the customer paid, you benefitted from Nayax’s consolidated rate of 2.5%. (At least that’s how it was a few years ago).

vguard296

Reaction score
They raised their list price of the unit fees 20% since we ordered back in September. They'll price match nayax, - I just sent a screenshot of the sale price nayax was charging and they come right down.

Roz

Reaction score
Monex fees are running 7% for me and many headache to boot.
What type of headaches?
I spoke with them and they said they would try to match WorldPay cost (at just over 3% all in) if I showed them my statement. The unknown are all their small monthly recurring fees that can quickly add up and the fact that they do not bundle transactions with the same CC. I get the sense from my conversation that they are trying to figure out things. Unless they can beat WorldPay it makes more sense to stay with the devil I know.

Carwashking

Reaction score
I will agree they are trying to figure this out. I’m hoping to resolve my issues before I post about my misery. My last three statements are 7 percent.

Shine Brite

Reaction score
Since this started as a Cryptopay thread, I wanted to ask a question. When inside the crypto coordinator and Configure Devices, is the pre-auth $ set by what "purchase type" you select? There's a choice for Wash Bay, Vend, Pet Wash, and Dryer. I'm set to Vac currently (it's a vac) and my testing shows me a pre-auth of $10. Anyone know if the Vend or Dryer has a lower pre-auth?

Thanks!

Roz

Reaction score
Since this started as a Cryptopay thread, I wanted to ask a question. When inside the crypto coordinator and Configure Devices, is the pre-auth $ set by what "purchase type" you select? There's a choice for Wash Bay, Vend, Pet Wash, and Dryer. I'm set to Vac currently (it's a vac) and my testing shows me a pre-auth of $10. Anyone know if the Vend or Dryer has a lower pre-auth?

Thanks!
The default setup for Pre Auth is the same as your MAX charge for that device. IE if max for a Vac is $5 then the Pre Auth will be $5, ditto if MAX for a bay is $10. I have been told that you can call CryptoPay and ask them to lower your pre auth such that you assume all risk for any charges above the Pre Auth that fail to process due to insufficient funds. The potential issue is that WorldPay is slow to change the Pending Pre Auth charge to the Posted real charge (sometimes up to 72 hours if near a weekend). We receive a few calls per year asking why we charged more than customer expected EVEN with a decal on the meter box that talks about the cc process.

Shine Brite

Reaction score
The default setup for Pre Auth is the same as your MAX charge for that device. IE if max for a Vac is $5 then the Pre Auth will be $5, ditto if MAX for a bay is $10. I have been told that you can call CryptoPay and ask them to lower your pre auth such that you assume all risk for any charges above the Pre Auth that fail to process due to insufficient funds. The potential issue is that WorldPay is slow to change the Pending Pre Auth charge to the Posted real charge (sometimes up to 72 hours if near a weekend). We receive a few calls per year asking why we charged more than customer expected EVEN with a decal on the meter box that talks about the cc process.
That's curious... I set my max charge to $4.00 which was why I was surprised at the $10 charge on my card. I was going to try a different purchase type and see if that made any difference. Maybe there's a bug with the Max price box on the Vac "purchase type." It is on a vac so I'd be shocked that someone would spend more the $4-$5.

Roz

Reaction score
That's curious... I set my max charge to $4.00 which was why I was surprised at the $10 charge on my card. I was going to try a different purchase type and see if that made any difference. Maybe there's a bug with the Max price box on the Vac "purchase type." It is on a vac so I'd be shocked that someone would spend more the $4-$5.
Maybe CP is using the Max from your bay on all the swipers? I know we have two different credit hold amounts. I have been debating changing the hold amount to the starting amount but frankly the number of calls received is very manageable. Maybe one a month if that.

Shine Brite

Reaction score
Maybe CP is using the Max from your bay on all the swipers? I know we have two different credit hold amounts. I have been debating changing the hold amount to the starting amount but frankly the number of calls received is very manageable. Maybe one a month if that.
For clarity, I don't have SS bays only these 2 vacs which I configured the same. Purchase Type Vac, Start amount $1.50 and max Charge $4. I'll report back after I play around with the other types to see if I get it to change. I tried to call them today but didn't realize they weren't open on the weekends.

OurTown

Reaction score

Thanks!

The pre-auth amount is site wide no matter what device the swiper is on. Default is $10 but you can call Cryptopay to change it.

Shine Brite

Reaction score
The pre-auth amount is site wide no matter what device the swiper is on. Default is $10 but you can call Cryptopay to change it.
I tried other settings yesterday with the same $10 result. I did get a call back from Cryptopay this morning and got it changed.

On a side note, If you have older firmware on your swiper and add the Tap device, you need to call Cryptopay to pair it. They explained newer swipers will auto pair when adding the tap.

Roz

Reaction score
I tried other settings yesterday with the same $10 result. I did get a call back from Cryptopay this morning and got it changed.

On a side note, If you have older firmware on your swiper and add the Tap device, you need to call Cryptopay to pair it. They explained newer swipers will auto pair when adding the tap.
Thank you for the heads up as we add Tap to our swipers!

CClaus

Reaction score
Any useful comments are appreciated. I am purchasing a cryptopay reader and coin box that has yet to be installed. I contacted cryptopay to try and understand exactly what the process entailed as far as getting the customers cards to process. They informed me that they use WorldPay as their processor and that I needed to contact WP to set up the account. What I need help in understanding is this: Is WorldPay the only processor that can be used by the CryptoPay system or are there better credit card processors out there that charge less per transaction? To be fair, I have yet to hear back from WorldPay on what their fees are. Hope this question all makes sense and thanks for your time.
I have been working with car wash owners for over 10 years now in setting up the necessary merchant accounts for their systems. Unfortunately anytime I hear someone is using CryptoPay, I have to inform them their only choice is WorldPay. WorldPay as acquired by FIS. However, it sounds like FIS is going to spin WorldPay off as it's own company again. Not sure if that will impact anything, but figured it was worth mentioning. If your fees with WorldPay are less than 5% depending on your average ticket size, that is pretty average. If things ever chagne Avoid TSYS direct, Heartland Payments or Global Payments at all cost. Wishing you the best.

Roz

Reaction score
I have been working with car wash owners for over 10 years now in setting up the necessary merchant accounts for their systems. Unfortunately anytime I hear someone is using CryptoPay, I have to inform them their only choice is WorldPay. WorldPay as acquired by FIS. However, it sounds like FIS is going to spin WorldPay off as it's own company again. Not sure if that will impact anything, but figured it was worth mentioning. If your fees with WorldPay are less than 5% depending on your average ticket size, that is pretty average. If things ever chagne Avoid TSYS direct, Heartland Payments or Global Payments at all cost. Wishing you the best.
You have touched on a third rail in the SS car wash industry. If you use CryptoPay you can only use WorldPay as your processor. Don’t waste your time with anyone who says otherwise. Just scammers or uninformed as of today. WP is hardwired to CryptoPay for now. WorldPay all in will cost you about 4%. Can vary and you can influence the costs slightly if you have a minimum charge for vacs or bays. Many operators have a $5 min charge (some even more) for CC use in a bay. Customer gets more time but you reduce your costs slightly as there is a per transaction fee plus a percentage. WP has no meaningful customer service and is very hard to reach. They do not care as they have a monopoly on the CryptoPay swiper market. For now their benefits outweigh the alternatives. Don’t get distracted by the alternatives bantered around here. Most are not better or cheaper. Good luck. Once in place it should produce good results for you but the initial process can be painful and unnecessarily longer than it should be. Keep trying them. Once you connect and get the paperwork submitted the process is quick and easy.