What's new

Credit Card Acceptance - Please help <--NOOB

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
I have 2 laserwash 4000's and 5 SS bays. My Hamilton ACW's accept Credit cards but dial up each time. I am considering installing a Hamilton DAN system. It allows credit card acceptance over the internet in 3-5 seconds as opposed to the 60 seconds it takes now. I will probably put in SS CC acceptors at the same time.

The problem is the Hamilton DAN system is $3600 plus installation plus $2185 for each SS plus installation. This seems really high. Is there a better way to go? Is my distributor ripping me off?

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I would talk to MEP. He has this same system and would be able to tell you if that is a fair price. I'm sure he will pop up here soon.

Randy

Reaction score
Which DAN system is your distributor quoting you? The Deluxe or the Basic system. The list price of the Basic Hamilton DAN system is $3435.00. With the Basic system the customer supplies the Monitor and keyboard. The list price DDT transaction Terminal with a Coinco validator is $2335.00. If you decide on the Coinco validator ask Hamilton to install Coinco?s new ?Vantage? validator. On 1 January 2009 Coinco discontinued the Mag series validators for the Vantage validator, which is suppose to be water resistant. Pyramid is coming out with the Aqua very soon, it will also be a water resistant validator. Shop around.

MEP001

Reaction score
We went with the basic system - I had already bought a used PC for $150 planning to use it with WashGear, but decided on Hamilton instead, so I used the monitor, keyboard and mouse. The touchscreen is very difficult to use and adds around $1200 to the cost.

You can get the OEM hardware kits for about $1,000 a bay instead of their box which needs to be mounted next to your existing meter box. We have Mars acceptors in the bays, all of which have been completely trouble-free for over five years other than wiping the bill path clean about once a month.

I probably should have gone with WashGear instead, mainly because of the high fees associated with Hamilton's clearing process. With the "count up" method in the bays, we end up paying four separate transaction fees for every single swipe, about 35? each. I'm not positive, but I believe WashGear allows for batching of transactions which would make it cost-effective to install on vacuums. The way Hamilton clears, I would never put it on a vac, either in count-up or count-down.

WashGear also has an add-on kit for Gold Line ACW's.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
OK, here is what my Hamilton rep says. Hamilton vehemently denies reporting all transactions to a third party. They say that is not true. Several people had said that the DAN system records all transactions and reports them via a third party.

Hamilton so far has had no comment on credit card transaction fees.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I would suggest a couple of things. First, see about installing the system yourself. It will help you tremendously in troubleshooting situations. You don't want to make yourself dependent on someone else coming to fix your system. It could cost you $, time, and customers.

Secondly, check around with all the systems and choose what's right for you. There are many good ones out there Hamilton, WashGear, WashCard, Etowah Valley, etc.. They all have different prices, different gear, and different clearing companies.

So check around and see what will fit for you and also what ones you'll be able to service on your own. Also think about whether you want a separate meter box just for credit cards or whether you can fit a system into your current one.

One last thing, make sure you install signs about how to use the credit card system, minimum fee, maximum fee, etc.. They may not read the signs, but at least you can say everything is clearly posted above the terminals. The majority of my calls from customers about how I'm charging them my max amount ($15), when in reality the internet is authorizing the transaction for that amount, but reverts it back to the correct charge a day or two later.

Have fun!

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
I would suggest a couple of things. First, see about installing the system yourself. It will help you tremendously in troubleshooting situations. You don't want to make yourself dependent on someone else coming to fix your system. It could cost you $, time, and customers.

Secondly, check around with all the systems and choose what's right for you. There are many good ones out there Hamilton, WashGear, WashCard, Etowah Valley, etc.. They all have different prices, different gear, and different clearing companies.

So check around and see what will fit for you and also what ones you'll be able to service on your own. Also think about whether you want a separate meter box just for credit cards or whether you can fit a system into your current one.

One last thing, make sure you install signs about how to use the credit card system, minimum fee, maximum fee, etc.. They may not read the signs, but at least you can say everything is clearly posted above the terminals. The majority of my calls from customers about how I'm charging them my max amount ($15), when in reality the internet is authorizing the transaction for that amount, but reverts it back to the correct charge a day or two later.

Have fun!

Yes, I am considering installing myself. Apparently the CC install involves very little. I have already run Cat-5 everywhere, so I am should be down to mounting and programming.

I am trying to find out which CC systems are the best. I think I am down to the Hamilton DAN and the Washgear. I am trying to find out from people with each what the pros and cons are of each. I have not researched other systems. I want a count up system with low transaction fees and ease of use.

DPD36

Reaction score
MEP, do you know the part # for the OEM kit that you mentioned in this thread? I called Hamilton a while back and asked them about a kit like this. They referred me to my equipment provider and distributor, Mark VII. I wasn't happy with the price. I would like to stick with Hamilton on this upgrade, but can't justify over 2 grand a bay when there are so many cheaper options out there.

MEP001

Reaction score
I'll try to find out. There's a local guy I use who is a Hamilton distributor. He can probably get them ordered and drop-shipped direct to you, and almost certainly cheaper than Mark VII. PM me if you want his number.

kabak

Reaction score
I'll try to find out. There's a local guy I use who is a Hamilton distributor. He can probably get them ordered and drop-shipped direct to you, and almost certainly cheaper than Mark VII. PM me if you want his number.
some one workıng on eport solutıon for ACW s and count up for self serve
I wıll ınform you

CarWashProcessing

Reaction score
.35 Cents for Each Swipe? if that is what your processor charges per swipe then That makes sense.

What happens with what Jeff_L said is the system Authorizes, but doesnt capture the data so that is why the customer sees the Max of $15 until it drops off. I can see how that would need explaining.