What's new

Creating an "Industry Average"

Reaction score
Let me start first by saying, I love this forum! Very helpful and enlightining. This is my first post, and I thought I might pose a request:

I was wanting to see if we could come up with an "Industry Average" on chemical use per application, per type of wash.

Say Tunnel:
Presoak:___ml
CTA:___ml
Mitterlube/soap foamers:___ml
etc...

IBA: same
S.S.: same

Let's see what we come up with. If you post, list what chemicals are used and at what alkalinity/strength each application is being run at. I know that all washes are different, and do things certain ways, but I thought it might be cool to see what we come up with, for those who are not up-most familiar with these numbers, and can use it as guide.

Thanks all! Have a great day.

dewey9876

I CLN CAZ
Reaction score
How would this be possible? Over the years I have used ultra concentrates in 5 gal pails, concentrates that come in 30Gal drums and of course the more normal 55 Gal. Drums - I have used a $250.00 55 Gal. drum of soap that did x Number of cars and $600.00 55 gal. drums of soap that did 10x Number of cars. Not sure if that makes sense but... You could buy 3 different pre-soaks one that is mixed at 1000-1 another at 250-1 and another at 30-1. You could come up with an average but not sure how that would help anyone?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
You ask a simple question to which there is no answer. The reason is due to a wide variety of factors which include:

For tunnels and IBA
Type of cleaning equipment used.
Desired or needed speed of process
Types of dirt encounrtered which vary based upon geography
Climate conditions

I have tunnels with 80-120 feet of equipment. Every car gets Soap / pre soak, wheel cleaner and drying agent. A guy offered to get my cost per car down to 40 cents. I didn't walk away, I ran.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
SS is just as complex because you have no idea what any demographic may choose more often or spend moe time on. Further, due to the nature of SS you would typicaly look at cost per time purchased rather than cost per car.

You can certainly figure your costs on an annualized or average basis and then monitor quality while trying different dilutiuons and products while figuring average costs.

Certain items like tire shine I monitor using a Measuring cup.

MEP001

Reaction score
I seem to remember a post by a "TheChemicalGuy" that was apparently deleted. I recall it as self-promoting. I'm assuming that this is the same person gathering information for his own ends.

"TheChemicalGuy1," please correct me if I am wrong.

Reaction score
As you may notice, I'm new to the whole car wash industry, so my question posed was just to help me understand more about certain applications. Thanks for the input though guys. I realize now how broad and challenging it would be to actually create an industry average, but it was worth a try.