What's new

Crack filling and Sealing asphalt lot.

lilb93

Reaction score
Has anyone had there car wash lot crack filled and seal coated? What did they use? Polymer based or Coal Tar based sealer.
How did it hold up. Cost per ft?? Thanks

MEP001

Reaction score
There is a local company here that does really bad work. I'd get references and check out their other jobs before letting someone do it.

Randy

Reaction score
They say asphalt only lasts about 25 years in a parking lot. I seal coated my lot once in 33 years, we did it ourselves and it was a bitch. It took about twice as much material has what it said on the can. Looked good for a few years after that. Now it looks like I’m going to have to redo the lot, it looks like alligator skin, when that happens it’s past it life. Asphalt work is expensive, we had to redo the entrances and exits of the all the bays and redo around the catch basins, I believe that project was about $4000. Call around for a quote.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Asphalt work is expensive, we had to redo the entrances and exits of the all the bays and redo around the catch basins, I believe that project was about $4000. Call around for a quote.
Sheesh. Last few years I have been doing work in locations attacking the worst sections first. Been spending $25,000 / year / location. Probaly be done in 3 more years.

MEP001

Reaction score
You can pour a lot of concrete for $25,000.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I just had my whole lot re-coated, crack filled and striped for about $5000. They mopped it on ( costlier ). Just a guess, but about 25K sq/ft

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
You can pour a lot of concrete for $25,000.
FWIW that's for Asphalt replacement. Concrete for the square footage was roughly triple and I would have to be closed for several days after it was done so it could cure.

pgrzes

Reaction score
Being a carwash owner and also a sealcoater-striper I can tell you that sealcoating a poor asphalt job will do basically nothing!!!! A good asphalt job at least 2" of asphalt properly prepped will last 15-20 years. Asphalt is not as good as it used to be. Crack filling with hot rubber then sealed with Coal-Tar sealer will have some help. Anything over about 20k square ft. should run approx. .12-.15 a sq. to spray 2 coats. I shy away from doing carwash due to the large amounts of silicone on the ground, sealer will NOT stay on these areas. I will sometimes spray my lot at end of season just to empty and clean my rig. Once asphalt cracks its really not rapairable, you can get an infrared machine in and do a reasonable repair, but about 95% of all asphalt damage is caused from underneath. So unless that get repaired properly anything you do from above will only mask the problem. Sealing and striping regularly, adds curb appeal and some longevity to your lot, oversealing will cause other problems that Im not getting into here. Hope this helps.

Jim L.

Florida panhandle
Reaction score
Since sprayed sealer is a cosmetic fix, what do you guys suggest for an 18 year old lot that has plenty of 1/4" cracks but no potholes?

MEP001

Reaction score
You'd probably want to seal the cracks. All the stability of an asphalt surface is in the base, and if rain washes through the cracks and weakens it, it'll get worse fast.

carwash11147

Reaction score
Did my lot about seven or eight years ago. It looked good for about two months and cost about $2800 for 24000 sq. ft. Biggest waste of money ever. Do yourself a favor and save your money and just repave when it gets too bad. That's my plan.

MEP001

Reaction score
A friend of mine had a company approach him to seal his lot and "make it look like new. They offered to do a section for free so he could see what it would look like - they took the product that's supposed to be sprayed or spread straight and diluted it with water and sprayed it. When he mentioned them diluting it they just left. Someone else I know called the same guys and paid them $2000 to seal his lot, and they must have done it the same way because it lasted two days.

lilb93

Reaction score
That's the problem with seal coating company's. If you find 1 real honest one they are 20 fly by night.
Well I am going to buy a 10 gal hot crack filler, and a 300 gal spray coating rig. Will do it my self. Have about 85000 sq ft to do.
300 gal Coal tar mix from Sealmaster in Allentown 865.00. Crackmaster supreme from Sealmaster is 1.02 per pound.
300 Gal same mix from Star seal in lewisburg, Pa 636.00 There crack sealer same as Sealmaster is .78 per pound.
Will post some photos as I go.
Asphalt is 62.00 a ton.
Never tried to pave, But i will try anything once.

lilb93

Reaction score
Well we sealed the cracks with hot crack sealer, then coated it with Coal tar sealer. My cost was 200.00 for the crack sealer and 240.00 for the Coal tar materials. It looks good will let you know how it holds up. Did the back end and when the sun comes out again will do the front. We bought a 10 gal hot crack sealer and a 300 Gal. sealmaster spray unit.