What's new

COVID 19/Coronavirus Impact

soapy

Reaction score
I just.mix in some bleach with water and out in a spray bottle and use my own cotton towel to wipe everything down did this almost nothing.

Roz

Reaction score
Tunnels in our area are offering external washing only until further notice.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Here's a document on how long the virus can live on various surfaces and the efficacy of various disinfectants.

Here's the quick and dirty: a .21% bleach solution (1 part fresh 6% bleach to 25 parts water)or >70% Isopropyl alcohol will kill in 30 seconds.

Remember that sunlight deactivates bleach, and stored bleach goes stale after six months or so. I would mix daily and store in a opaque bottle.

.5% Hydrogen peroxide (1 part peroxide to 5 parts water) will kill in one minute.

Other solutions such as Quat based (benzalkium Chloride and related salts)may require 10 minutes of contact time.

Surfaces should be clean before disinfected.

soapy

Reaction score
1 tablespoon of bleach to 3 cups water should give a 6% solution as Greg mentioned. I am also suspending my free drying towels during the virus outbreak for a few reasons. 1. already seen increased theft 2. towels are sold out at Sams 3. Probably the most likely place the virus could live would be on a wet towel

srr5008

Reaction score
No difference in my neck of the woods (northeastern PA). But we are in a rural area, where stone quarries are the biggest industry. So people are still going to work.

Sparkleclean

Reaction score
central nh here...… once business drops a little more because people now have to social distance themselves, we are considering using the carwashes as fundraisers for the local hospital. we will advertise if people want to help medical workers they can come wash their cars, and a portion of the proceeds until the quarantines are lifted will go to the local hospital. we haven't figured it all out yet, but it is something we are just starting to talk about. we will say you don't have to interact with anyone at all. drive in, roll window down, pay by your cc at the paystation which should only require 1 touch. then close window and sanitize your hands and drive through knowing your car wash is helping to support the front line workers of this virus.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Its getting weird here. Restaurants are take out only. Bars are closed. My daughter lives in Folsom, Ca. and they are completely shut down there- Grocery stores and pharmacies only are allowed to stay open.

I know both Quest and Warsaw chemical are advertising they are stocking disinfectants. It's going to be SOP for us to spray down everything as much as possible but will continue to stay open until forced to close. Pollen just started falling here so the timing is terrible.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
BTW guys if you're hviung trouble finding bleach, my local Lowes sold 10% bleach in the pool section for 3.99 gallon. I have also seen instructions online to use pool shock as bleach.

MEP001

Reaction score
Nope, in fact sales are up, probably because pollen season. For some reason vending sales have doubled in the past couple weeks.

KleanRide

Reaction score
Our sales have been sky high but San Antonio just yesterday closed all restaurants and I’m guessing that will put a lot of my customers out of work.

srr5008

Reaction score
Well, update for those of us in PA. Our Governor just mandated that all "non-life sustaining" businesses must be closed by 12:01 Saturday morning. Failure to comply can result in citations, fines, and revocation of license to operate a business in the state. Needless to say we are closing today (and not happy about it).

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Anyone in California shutting down their self serve?
We didn't close our SS, as we figured it has no employees and is, well, self-serve.

Maybe that's why one of our sites got broken into last night....

Not sure what to do honestly.

MEP001

Reaction score
I'm finally seeing an impact - almost no garbage. Business is down but it's been raining. Supposed to be clear tomorrow and for the next week, so if it doesn't pick up I'll know why.

rhino

Reaction score
What are you guys doing about your chemicals? Are you guys stocking up in case shipping or manufactures get shut down?

BenW@JCCW

Reaction score
Our volumes are down well over 50% so I don't plan on it yet. If they start shutting down more businesses, I would expect even further drops in wash volumes so probably won't look to stock up on Chems. However, I'll probably place orders earlier than normal to cover potential delays.