What's new

Coverting Hand Wash to Machine

RAATCB

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have been in the full service car wash for 16 years. We are a hand car wash which I am getting really tired of. Employees don't wash the cars good, they don't show up, all the time complaining, the labor is getting more expensive and a lot more issues. I have spoken to a few local car wash installers that are distributors for Motor City, Peco and Mcneil that can install equipment. Here are some specs of my tunnel:

Average cars washed: 200 daily
Tunnel length = 75 ft
Front wheel push
About 32 ft of wash space as is "with current arches set up" if needed arches can be re-positioned

I can only fit 1 set of wrap arounds, 1 set of rockers brushes and 1 set top brush. I am not going to add any high pressure applications for now. We are going to have 1 employee manually brush each wheel then have the machine do the rest of the work.

With good chemicals, will that equipment setup clean vehicles good enough so we won't have to do prepping? Local car wash installers say to go with the Motor city equipment because it cleans good and not super complicated. They are saying with a chain speed of 40 to 50 cars per hour, all vehicles will come out super clean and not to worry. Is this true?

When I go to any express washes in my area they all have 120+ tunnel with 2 sets of everything which mostly all cars come clean.

Can anyone help me out with some information that might help me with this conversion I plan on doing this winter time?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Average 200 CPD implies a maximum hour of 60 cars. So, existing 75’ tunnel (building) would be sufficiently long enough.

Most modern conveyor systems have modular design.

So, 75’ can easily accommodate rear-wheel conveyor set-up and wash module with 9 brushes, high-pressure wheels, waxing and rinse arches, tire shine and 90 hp dryer.

Plus support equipment like controls, power packs, air compressor/dryer, solution stations, PC and software, etc.

It will do the job, but it’s not going to be cheap especially if it includes pay stations and software/hardware.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Depending on what climate you are in you could use one of these
https://www.sonnysdirect.com/mainse...ppid=Sonnys_Java_Shop&wec-locale=en_US&cm=982

A boatload of equipment in 25 feet. Other mfgrs have similar items. Spyder wrap with Mitter and Wheel Brush and Lower details underneath.

Put your soap app before, extra services and a second mitter after. Roome for another set of lower details and you are good to wash a lot of cars in a small area.

Climate will affect how close to the door you can position stuff.