What's new

Counting $$$

TRenninger

Reaction score
I'm new to owning a self serve car wash. I'm curious on how y'all keep track of sales. Do you count quarters that are in vaults as sales or the cash in change machine?

slash007

Reaction score
I'm new to owning a self serve car wash. I'm curious on how y'all keep track of sales. Do you count quarters that are in vaults as sales or the cash in change machine?
Counting the change machine is inaccurate big time as people don't spend all the change they get, and you also get people that get change and leave. Only count what quarters you find in the bays and vacs.

BBE

Reaction score
You also would not be accounting for anyone who already had quarters of their own and used those in your machines and didn't even get change at your machine.

MEP001

Reaction score
I just put all the quarters that I can into the changer and count the bills that come out plus the leftover coins. It's accurate enough as far as sales. If you start and end the year, quarter, month, however you track it, with the same amount of quarters in the changer it's perfectly accurate. If you're buying quarters because of walk-off, you have to account for that.

Overachiever

Reaction score
I just put all the quarters that I can into the changer and count the bills that come out plus the leftover coins. It's accurate enough as far as sales. If you start and end the year, quarter, month, however you track it, with the same amount of quarters in the changer it's perfectly accurate. If you're buying quarters because of walk-off, you have to account for that.
I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP. Just bought a car wash last month.

Do you use QuickBooks? Do you just keep a petty cash account and keep replenishing as walk-off happens? I wasn't quite sure how to track the money you put back into the machines to offset the walk-off.

Eric H

Reaction score
I count all the money (bills and coins) in the vaults (bays, vacs, frag/shampoo machine, etc) and use that as the weekly sales total. Count the Bill changer money separately, but do not include in any sales (dollar in = dollar out). I replenish the coin level in the changers to a level that I think is acceptable based on how busy I expect to be the following week and deposit the balance.
BTW: If you have vending machines (and you should!) be sure to track that separately for sales tax. The State Tax auditor found that one for me :(

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Basically I collect $$$ and record the same as Eric with one addition....

Every day I empty the bills out of the changer and validate the changer using the coin counter with the amount of bills taken out. This will let you know of a malfunction or if anybody is trying to cheat your changer.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I concur with both Eric & 2Biz's approach. I can especially relate to Eric ... since we were audited awhile back by an extremely aggressive :confused: state sales tax auditor on the applicable specific sales tax items etc. It is still better than the sales tax being on all the gross receipts.

Just to add on the changer ... that in our case we are glad we chose Standard (not sure on the other brands) because the 600EF audit features are so comprehensive. It helps to be able to automatically bring the data into an Access database like we do via a serial port. Those familiar with databases ... know that generating whatever report once the data is in the records & fields ... is really not that difficult. To be fair to the other changer companies (&/or other Standard models) & how credit card software tracks the sometimes needed pertinent information ... I am not that familiar ... maybe someone else can chime in.

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
I know a guy who deposited everything the car wash brought in (the bay sales and changer cash). He would then order the change back from the bank and put it in the changer. I thought he was really stupid. Now he is selling the wash, and his Income looks abnormally big. On the expense sheet that the broker has, "change orders" is listed as an expense with a comment saying "change used for car wash - not really an expense"... Now I'm thinking he's not so stupid... Most buyers would figure this out after looking into tax returns, but still.... I know the NOI is the same, but when a moron appraiser uses GIMs to verify value....

MEP001

Reaction score
I do also audit the changer to make sure the payouts match the bills coming in. I use Excel on a netbook at the wash to make it easy to track.

slash007

Reaction score
I do also audit the changer to make sure the payouts match the bills coming in. I use Excel on a netbook at the wash to make it easy to track.
I did that for a few years but then got tired of it and quit. I never found a discrepancy when I was doing it, have you guys ever found a problem?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I did that for a few years but then got tired of it and quit. I never found a discrepancy when I was doing it, have you guys ever found a problem?
Absolutely! I'm only 60 miles away from you and have had it happen many times, although it has been quite a while since the last time. You are playing with a zippo and dynamite by not auditing your changers.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
bring the data into an Access database like we do via a serial port
I believe Hamilton has a version of there c2000 controller that does this (I have a couple)? I wouldn't want to keep a computer at the car wash though..... I guess you could use a tablet?

playing with a zippo and dynamite
So I am guessing this means bad? LOL :)

Stuart

Reaction score
I utilize coin counters for each piece of equipment (bays, vacs, vend, automatic, air fresh) to verify coins and the counters in the bill changers to verify bills. I collect practically every day at each location.

Using an audit sheet, verify cash in the changers vs the counters.
Then take counter readings from bays and collect the coin. Start counting the quarters and stop at the amount equal to the amount of bills taken from changers. Take these quarters and replenish the changers of coin. (this is basically an even swap bills for coin. You should be at the amount of coin in changers that you started with.)

Count the rest of the qtrs for the bays. Verify against the readings taken at time of collection against all the coins collected and counted from the bays.
Collect vac coins and take readings and the same for all other collection areas. Verify collection amounts to readings.
Sales taxes are dependent on your location. Some places have taxes on vending items and not wash sales. Check with you accountant or call you states Revenue dept.
I use QuickBooks. It keeps track of sales, expenses, taxes, etc.
I have an audit trail for all the monies just in case my uncle sam wants to verify my receipts. It is also back up records for when I decide to sell the carwash.

MEP001

Reaction score
Are you talking about stringing or mechanical error?
I do it for both those reasons, and to identify false customer claims. The last one is low on the list, but I want to know if someone is lying if they claim they lost money in the changer.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Same way here, I do keep auto and self serve income separated, with vending and vac revenue considered SS income. I may occasionally do a closer analysis a couple times per year by counting each individual service for a month or so.

I do keep my monthly totals as accurate as possible by ensuring I make a final cash deposit on the last business day of the month. That essentially keeps my monthly checking account statement (more) accurately reflecting that month's income.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Stringing, harness tampering, and mechanical error. I've had them all at one time or another. I have an alarm system attatched that will turn the changer off if it sees an abnormal amt. of coins dispensed in too short of a a time period. Monitoring "coins out" works great since it is a catch-all. No matter how the changer is being cheated it will shut it down.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
1. I use Quick books.
2. Vending income accounted for seperately because there is sales tax on this but not wash income.
3. Quarters from vaults and Vacs not counted regularly but audited periodicaly to match counters.
4. Quarters are usualy dumped into changers and only bills are counted and matched to changer counters. Few discrepancies.
5. If you need to "Buy" quarters as I do, say $500.00 at a time the amount of bills removed from changers recorded is reduced by $500.00 and those quarters are added to changers. So, I agree with MEP and disagree with the earlier post. Over time the net $ removed from changers (Less any exchange for bills used for more quarters is an accurate sale amount (Plus of course Bills removed from other acceptors, credit cards and surplus coins if any.)