What's new

Cost of building a automatic car wash

ANDYS

Reaction score
i was wondering how much it would cost to build a automatic car wash
have the land just need equipment and building

ANDYS

Reaction score
i have 10 bay alot of customers come looking for a automatic so i thought i have the land to put automatic just wondering the cost

Buzzie8

Reaction score
Still not clear of all the variables. I have an older 5 bay plus a dog wash at my older wash. If I wanted to build out a bay and install an automatic I would put a ballpark cost of $150k for equipment, and a minimum of $30k for the build out. I think the $150k should get you an autocashier and a decent in-bay automatic. Probably need to budget an additional $15k if you want polycarb doors. This is just a ball park though.

Reds

Reaction score
Add to those costs - spot free water, is your compressor big enough? water service big enough? electrical service big enough. Site work will be expensive too - paving, aprons, heated aprons (boiler big enough?), grading, sewer connections, site lights, signage, etc. I spent 250 to add one IBA bay (block building) without needing bigger electrical service nor bigger water lines/meter, nor spot free.

mac

Reaction score
Also check with your local building permit people, and ask what, if anything, they might want. Don't offer any suggestions to them, but they may want you to add a water reclaim or higher utilities fees for a bigger water line. When sizing the building don't make it just big enough for the machine you choose, but allow for bigger things in the future.

captain cw

Reaction score
Probably between $250,000-$300,000 nicely done. Less if you cut corners. A good distributor can be a big help.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Up here where we get winter...a stand alone 50' building a fully optioned out touchless IBA, doors, heated floors, stand alone dryer, entry system, nicely done is about $400k all in.

ANDYS

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys keep them coming

ANDYS

Reaction score
so i am looking under half a million thanks again for replys ;)

Buzzie8

Reaction score
Many communities will require a traffic impact fee when building new construction that can be substantial (I paid $18k for a new wash). There could also be sewage tap-in fees that are estimated based on your water usage, These could also be substantial. They would be hard pressed to charge me for these in my area for just adding an automatic bay but you should know about them just in case.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Not knowing what development impact fees are may imply several things.

1) Your community does not have such fees associated with developing an income producing property
2) You bought the carwash from someone else and do not understand the carwash development process
3) You do not actually own a carwash business

Assuming the latter does not apply, you have options to consider.

1) Convert one of the existing wand-bays to a slow in-bay, high-speed in-bay or mini-tunnel
2) Go through the potentially laborious and more expensive process of seeking approval to develop another stand-alone facility on your land

As suggested by one of the other members, I agree that you might want to begin by contacting an authorized equipment dealer in your area and/or find a qualified industry consultant.

The true merit of a dealer and/or consultant is having the ability to actually help someone.

Either way, you want good direction and not just another payroll expense.

ANDYS

Reaction score
Not knowing what development impact fees are may imply several things.

1) Your community does not have such fees associated with developing an income producing property
2) You bought the carwash from someone else and do not understand the carwash development process
3) You do not actually own a carwash business

Assuming the latter does not apply, you have options to consider.

1) Convert one of the existing wand-bays to a slow in-bay, high-speed in-bay or mini-tunnel
2) Go through the potentially laborious and more expensive process of seeking approval to develop another stand-alone facility on your land

As suggested by one of the other members, I agree that you might want to begin by contacting an authorized equipment dealer in your area and/or find a qualified industry consultant.

The true merit of a dealer and/or consultant is having the ability to actually help someone.

Either way, you want good direction and not just another payroll expense.
Thanks for the great advice