What's new

Converting SS to InBay Automatic

RockyMountain

Reaction score
I am looking at converting 1 self serve bay to an automatic. Does anyone have advice? A Water Wizard 2.0 would require adding roughly 10 feet to my bays which are currently 28ft. long x 14 feet wide. Any information or suggestions from those who have been through this would be greatly appreciated!

jimbeaux

Reaction score
s/s to auto conversion

I did the same thing in 1997. I installed a new metal mansard to the top & used the same metal to extend the bay the required length. I think I added about 6 or 8' to each end. It made a seamless transition.

Reaction score
I have put hydro-spray units in bays that size and i think wash world will fit to, you may not be able to have on board drying, but even dryiers on the exit i would think would be less than adding on

richwells

Reaction score
We've done a few conversions of SS to Auto bays, including a few with Water Wizards. If you'd like to see how we've done it, give us a call. We can show you one that's near Casper.
Rich Wells
Hi-Performance Wash Systems
Denver, CO

ken-pro

Equipment Distributor
Reaction score
My company installed a Washworld High Velocity into a 28' bay with some minor modifications. (Moved a couple of safety stops). The dryer was mounted on the outside of the building. Machine was mounted to the existing Royal Building Systems poured concrete walls. This bay has doors on entrance and exit as well.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I put a Mark VII w/onboard dryer (10' 7 3/4" tall) in a 10' 8" tall bay. We had to add about 13' of length and 4' of width to one side of the addition for RO tanks.

dreese

dreese
Reaction score
I am looking at converting 1 self serve bay to an automatic. Does anyone have advice? A Water Wizard 2.0 would require adding roughly 10 feet to my bays which are currently 28ft. long x 14 feet wide. Any information or suggestions from those who have been through this would be greatly appreciated!
Is the 28' ID or OD? How tall is the bay ceiling? These measurements need to be free of obstructions. What type of walls? Can they bear weight? Do you have a mechanical room, or do you need in-bay setup?
If you have 28' x 14' ID, an equipment room, and enough ceiling height you have many options for IBA's especially using stand alone, outside mounted dryers without major building modifications.

Last edited:

RockyMountain

Reaction score
Is the 28' ID or OD? How tall is the bay ceiling? These measurements need to be free of obstructions. What type of walls? Can they bear weight? Do you have a mechanical room, or do you need in-bay setup?
If you have 28' x 14' ID, an equipment room, and enough ceiling height you have many options for IBA's especially using stand alone, outside mounted dryers without major building modifications.
The walls are 8" block and just end at 28' with no "end cap." doors are 12 feet and the ceiling probably 13. Have equipment room next to the bay, but we will probably increase it's size when I add office space.

How do the outside mounted dryers look and how well do they work? Do customers like them or is an inbay dryer that moves with the automatic preferred?

captain cw

Reaction score
I like on-board dry. Does a better job, but you loose time. I put an auto in a wand bay. It did alright, but when I changed the roof line over the auto bay (gable roof) to show the customers that the bay was more special than the wand bays, it really helped

MikeV

Reaction score
I've installed several Futura Millenniums in s.s. bays, some as small as 20'x13'. Mine is in a 20'x15' bay. Track is 30' long, plus the entry cashier, another 10'. Put a canopy over the entry end to cover the entry cashier. The blowers are outside of the exit end. Bay height can be as low as 12'.

dreese

dreese
Reaction score
Another consideration would be traffic flow on the site. As long as you have adequate stacking (entrance) and turn out (exit) at the bay, you could easily put a PDQ M5 with 26' rails (be able to wash the duallys / crew cab PU's in your area) in this bay with an outside dryer mount and still have room in the bay for doors. There would be no operational need to modify the bay.
Dryers mounted on the outside of the bay exit can look / work fine. As far as on board vs drive thru, it depends on the area. An on-board removes the customer element (speed) on the dry, but reduces thruput. Drive thru with a timer can deliver the same quality, but is more dependent on the customer and how they use it.

RockyMountain

Reaction score
Picture available?

I like on-board dry. Does a better job, but you loose time. I put an auto in a wand bay. It did alright, but when I changed the roof line over the auto bay (gable roof) to show the customers that the bay was more special than the wand bays, it really helped
Do you have a picture or two of your new roof line and the bay modifications? Thanks for the info!