What's new

converting SS to Ext tunnel

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
There is a chain of carwashes that runs conveyorized exterior washes with NO employees tending the wash, so your assumption is not accurate. Sensible... but not accurate. :rolleyes:

I've also been told of numerous express exterior washes with multiple automated tellers... and no staff tending the conveyorized carwash. In fact, equipment suppliers and some franchise operations recommend it.

BUT, some operators are content to ignore those risks.

Once again, having on-site attendant is sensible, but not compulsory. :(
Time will tell how that shakes out. I think some tunnels are "Unattended" yet there is someone "On Site". A local Shell oil operation runs with an auto cashier and no atendant, but in a pinch , in ttheory the C Store people are on site. One local somhow got stuck in the tunnel --- for 4 hours, before someone could figure how to get the car out.

Good argument for having someone capable of independant thought on site. Recently had a couple of people bump (cameras showed rear person driving forward) in the tunnel and one dope throw it into reverse damaging his mirror. He refused to move for an hour and a half until the police came. Maybe it would have been better if no one was there.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
I?m adding a little more to consider.

Small-town markets can support conveyor carwash. For example, my home town and its immediate surroundings have about the same population as mentioned in the thread. This area supports two conveyors, several wand facilities and several in-bays at gas sites. I have also been involved in a number of start-up ventures in small-town markets that utilized short conveyor, successfully.

It is difficult to apply traditional capture rates due to the nature of small-town markets. Consequently, location and sales assessment requires the use of different methods and procedures.

Common experience has shown that short conveyors can prosper in both large and small markets. I have a client located in a metro area that operates a conveyor housed in a 40? long building that processes 35 cars per hour. The quality of the finished product (clean, shine and dry) is as every bit as good as what he produces with his 80? long conveyor.

Industry benchmarks suggest that carwash sites with attendants tend to perform better financially as compared to carwash sites without attendants. However, common experience has shown that it is possible to equip short conveyors with high-performance cleaning equipment, automated teller with entrance gate, automatic access doors, video surveillance, cash management system and other automation that essentially reduces the need for labor down to the caretaker level.

Although building conveyor long does provide scale economies, building short does not necessarily mean that you cannot achieve low operating expenses or provide the customer with a clean, shiny and dry vehicle.

Another benefit of building a small-scale carwash is that it requires less capital investment and creates less pressure to grow and sustain the business.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd like to see some pictures of that 40' building that houses a conveyor.

Are any available?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Yes, I will send some your way. I have also started to edit a video of it in action that will be available, hopefully, in the near future.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
You can pack a lot of stuff in 40 feet. However, a question might be whether the weather really permits you to place equipment right at the doors. Unless you are going to spend a ton on Heating equip. in some climates you will lose at least 5 feet on each end to keep the wash and drying area above freezing during many busy days.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
The mini-tunnel I keep referring to is located in KS. It does get quite cold and windy during the winter months, its snows and there is some permafrost.

Freezing and operating expense (fuel, electricity) has not been an issue because the building has been pre-engineered with this in mind. In addition to its compact size, the building has a unique dome-shape that incorporates a raised floor design, automated polycarbonate roll-up doors and passive solar strategies including day-lighting and sun space which saves lighting energy and reduces the load on the overhead radiant tube and single forced-air heater. Plus, the carwash system has all-electric components with VFD controls.

briteauto

Reaction score
Yes, I will send some your way. I have also started to edit a video of it in action that will be available, hopefully, in the near future.
Robert,

I would be interested in seening these photos as well. Would you mind emaling them to me also?

Thank you.

Mike