What's new

Converting SS Bay to IBA with Back Out

Etowah

bigleo48

Reaction score
All,

My 8 SS bays are under utilized while my IBA is maxed out. So the logical solution would be to convert one of my SS bays to a Touchless Auto.

One of my main issues is that all my SS bays are Drive In-Back Out, due to the cold weather up here in the great white north.

So the least expensive idea is to install a touchless IBA with an on-board dryer that would fit in a small bay (26' x 16' and 14'tall) for about $100k to $125k all in (including upgraded electrical service, entry unit and install). I would only need to avg an extra 10 cars per day to make it worthwhile.

Anybody done this?

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I have never seen a Drive in- Back-out Automatic for public use, only seen them at auto dealerships.

MEP001

Reaction score
Do you have two sets of four bays that share a common wall that you can't cut out just for one auto? If that's the case, have you considered turning a pair of bays into a mini conveyor instead of a single auto bay?

JustClean

Reaction score
In Europe many IBA are drive-in back-out but mainly at small petrol stations. To be honest: It's a PITA.
If there was no other solution (like what MEP mentioned) you somehow have to have the queue and the entry system away from the entrance so that the car inside has room to get out.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can't remember how many IBA's you have, but why not convert one to increase throughput even more? I'm sure you know of many ways this can be done in both the rollover or conveyorized scheme.

There are other ideas for underutilized SS bays, which I am sure you also thought of because you're smart.

The drive in/back out IBA idea, though, is not so smart IMO.

bigleo48

Reaction score
The Drive-In, Back-Out idea is the cheapest solution, but agreed...not the best. I do have the config where a customer could back out with lots of space (just like they currently do as a SS bay) with the stacking paralleled with existing IBA.

I going through the motions of figuring things out and trying to think out of the box. A Back-Out config would be simple, cheap and easily implemented. This IBA would handle the overflow from the existing stand-alone IBA. So its really a 'busy day' machine...and so its hard to justify spending $250k to do it right if it only brings in an additional $50k/yr. I figure I could do a back-out for about $100k with a new machine.

So I guess if your a waiting customer...would you pick a 'Back-Out' bay or wait for a drive-thru bay to come available? Personally, I just want to get washed and would take the back-out if it was available to get it done ASAP. After all, that's what we are selling... convenience.

With regards to Waxman's comments on throughput...I think I've done as much as possible to get the most out of my IBA. I could convert to a mini-tunnel as I have 50' building, but that's a whole other animal I'm not prepared to do at this time.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A back out IBA would work if you disallowed: elderly, under 30, females on cell phones while touching up makeup, any vehicle with blind spots, and moron drivers.

I'd back burner this idea until you find a case study that works that you can look at and talk to owner.

People have a hard enough time negotiating a 'standard' pull in, park, pull out bay. You are putting too much faith in people thinking they can handle this situation.

Didn't you write a post awhile back about elderly drivers??????

Wait till you are ready to train that other animal you speak of (conveyorized) or put in a Softgloss that washes a car in 3 minutes.