What's new

Converting coin vacs to a central vac?

Etowah

tw1012

Reaction score
Is it possible to take four coin operated vacs, put them together attach to PVC pipe running above my bays and have a central vac system? Has anyone tried this? Will it work?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Is it possible to take four coin operated vacs, put them together attach to PVC pipe running above my bays and have a central vac system? Has anyone tried this? Will it work?
You want to do htis because...?

mac

Reaction score
Take Earl's advuce. Lay down till that thought goes away.

tw1012

Reaction score
I am converting my wash to a full service format. Instead of four self service stalls I want to have three lanes with vacuum hoses coming down from the canopy.

MEP001

Reaction score
Since you already have the vacs, it would cost practically nothing to convert them to push-button or toggle switch start and use them.

tw1012

Reaction score
I already rewired them with toggle switches. It's set up for four stalls but the middle are too tight. If I go to lanes I can handle 6 cars with a bypass lane for express washes.

Is it possible to do with the equipment I have or am I stuck finding a central vac system?

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I think you have 2 problems. Most coin operated vac motors are not rated for continuous duty and they are very noisy. Get a central vac.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Our experience

tw,

We have done the central vac --- plastic pipe manifold approach with two vacuums to gain vacuum power in our laundromat. There is an issue that all the vacs must be on at once causing a waste factor or the spare (not on) vacs will actually cause a loss of suction.

Unless you have someway of automatically opening & closing ports I would be cautious.

Hope this sharing helps you on your decision better than just saying "don't do it"

Mike

tw1012

Reaction score
Maybe I could just hang the existing vacs from the canopy to get them out of the way, I would not have as many hoses as I would like (4 hoses instead of the 6-8 that I would like but it would be cheaper than buying a central vac and would probably work for a while until I know if my new format will work.

How much is a central vac and is it possible to buy them used?