What's new

Contemplating going Cashless?

LAF

Reaction score
I currently use Nayax- I chose that system because you don’t need WiFi- each unit is connected wirelessly to the internet and you can use your phone for apple pay/Google pay etc. I haven’t looked at the stats, for the phone apps, but it would be interesting. The idea of turning off the change machine for the week is probably the best way to check, but it is tough to tell, since you don’t have a control group and you can‘t tell who left because of the lack of cash acceptance.

I also have a $5.00 minimum, to keep my cc fees to a minimum.

I agree, that as long as I accept cash folks will use it. (It is also much harder to not report CC transactions.)

Roz

Reaction score
I currently use Nayax- I chose that system because you don’t need WiFi- each unit is connected wirelessly to the internet and you can use your phone for apple pay/Google pay etc. I haven’t looked at the stats, for the phone apps, but it would be interesting. The idea of turning off the change machine for the week is probably the best way to check, but it is tough to tell, since you don’t have a control group and you can‘t tell who left because of the lack of cash acceptance.

I agree, that as long as I accept cash folks will use it. (It is also much harder to not report CC transactions.)
Don't you need to pay $10 per month per swiper for the cell service on top of their 4% CC fee?

AnalyticWash

Reaction score
Don't you need to pay $10 per month per swiper for the cell service on top of their 4% CC fee?
$10/month per swiper only. You can run the transactions through whatever processor you want (which will have their own fees).

Rookie68

Reaction score

I am strongly considering Nayax. Can the VPOS run off of wifi ?
Also, do they ever answer the phone there? I have called and emailed 5 days in a row no with no response practically begging for a quote.
I was not aware that I could use any processor I wanted. I thought I had to use theirs. This is intriguing.

SuperShine

Reaction score
I am strongly considering Nayax. Can the VPOS run off of wifi ?
Also, do they ever answer the phone there? I have called and emailed 5 days in a row no with no response practically begging for a quote.
I was not aware that I could use any processor I wanted. I thought I had to use theirs. This is intriguing.
Nayax doesn’t use Wi-Fi, they use 3 and 4G cell networks so you want to insure that you have good cell reception at your wash. You can also connect them to a cat 5 wired network but you’ll need the cat5 adapter for each VPOS touch. Handy when there’s an international Tel2SIM card denial that knocks out all Nayax readers around the world for eight hours. (Happened for the first time last week)
I’d also go through a good distributor for the Nayax boxes that are car wash specific and plug and play vs ordering direct from Nayax.

If you don’t have CC, especially in count up mode, It’s a game changer in terms of a sales boost and reduced maintenance and coin jams.
My bays are now at 80% cards and I’m also thinking of going all cashless.

Rookie68

Reaction score
Nayax doesn’t use Wi-Fi, they use 3 and 4G cell networks so you want to insure that you have good cell reception at your wash. You can also connect them to a cat 5 wired network but you’ll need the cat5 adapter for each VPOS touch. Handy when there’s an international Tel2SIM card denial that knocks out all Nayax readers around the world for eight hours. (Happened for the first time last week)
I’d also go through a good distributor for the Nayax boxes that are car wash specific and plug and play vs ordering direct from Nayax.

If you don’t have CC, especially in count up mode, It’s a game changer in terms of a sales boost and reduced maintenance and coin jams.
My bays are now at 80% cards and I’m also thinking of going all cashless.
I appreciate the repsonse. I have seen some data sheets that say they will run on Wifi. I hate the idea of relying on cellular connectivity as well as paying for it. I already pay for internet for my Security Cameras. Also running a cat5/6 cable through the concrete blocks at my facility will be a challenge to say the least. Do you have any distributors you can point me towards to for the Car wash specific versions ? I appreciat e the information.

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
I appreciate the repsonse. I have seen some data sheets that say they will run on Wifi. I hate the idea of relying on cellular connectivity as well as paying for it. I already pay for internet for my Security Cameras. Also running a cat5/6 cable through the concrete blocks at my facility will be a challenge to say the least. Do you have any distributors you can point me towards to for the Car wash specific versions ? I appreciat e the information.
You're literally about 30 minutes from where I'm sitting right now. Shoot me an email with some pictures of what you have and I'll get you in touch with someone.

Rookie68

Reaction score
You're literally about 30 minutes from where I'm sitting right now. Shoot me an email with some pictures of what you have and I'll get you in touch with someone.
Cool. I appreciate it. Here are some pics. E5346ECA-3BDE-490E-B7B3-E2044415F495.jpeg 1207DAD2-4A9E-45B8-93DB-B7873C8482E2.jpeg A79D6CA8-68F6-409A-A6EE-83153A7A95A1.jpeg 8849B294-06E3-4A9C-8AC3-E554D581C65F.jpeg 3C72E80D-C134-4035-8E47-9A011E08287E.jpeg

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
Roz,
I don’t use Nayax but I was going to on my Wash Selects. Maybe it’s different for Self-serve because the ticket is lower, but one of the most enticing things about Nayax was that the CC fee was a flat 2.5% regardless of the card they used, Apple Pay, Google pay or what have you. That was about 1.5 years ago.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Not reporting all cash can come back to haunt some operators when they want to sell that specific car wash not being able to show a healthy return. Some might even be tempted to find a way to exaggerate the amount of cash if the buyer did not insist on going by actual IRS returns shared?

We try to be as honest as possible but ... to me it is a practical win-win for an operator to not be overly preoccupied with having standby coins for quick refunds &/or for a quick washdown of bays without worrying about some awful "selective enforcement" prosecuting-auditor at whatever gov't level. Any system that overly tracked every time a cycle was triggered ... seems like it could provide an opportunity for some vicious "lois lerner" to run roughshod over their "non-lock-step-agreement" political enemies ... of course with mainstream media not fulfilling their "better" role of proper context & actual facts reporting.

The Canadian operator who mentioned about his acceptance of both $1 & $2 coins definitely has that specific advantage of over us USA operators. Hmmm... who are the contributors to that ... for that forced impediment to our citizen-customers here in our dear united states of america!? Maybe Canada will leap-frog to a $5 coin ... at some point ... based on potential future inflation?

With cell acceptance with Nayax ... it would be helpful if there were some cell providers in the USA that would provide charges that would avoid the monthly minimum since the cell tower usage would be much less than a normal cell phone it seems ... in other words prepaid usage that is not tethered to a minimum monthly charge. Also helpful for a cell based alarm system! Other countries have such plans ... why not here in the USA? I have been told that in our geographical area "AT&T Autopay" is the only sim card that does not have cell tower usage periodical congestion delays ... not sure if that might hold true elsewhere though.

Last edited:

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
Cool. I appreciate it. Here are some pics.
You're not going to like hearing this but it's not a matter of if, but when you're going to be replacing all that. Just in the control box on the pumpstand the only two things not obsolete are the terminal strip and the GS401(and that goes away if you do credit cards properly). The GS27(obsolete) references a GS19A(also obsolete) that is part of a low water cut off protection we haven't used in about 3 decades. The meterbox in the bay is far too small to accommodate anything other than what is already there. The GS31 countdown display mounted in the corner is obsolete, there is no replacement, and also goes away if doing credit credit card. I wouldn't use a Hypro pump on anything even at gunpoint.

MEP001

Reaction score
I wouldn't use a Hypro pump on anything even at gunpoint.
Hypro pumps are great. You never have to rebuild them, just replace them because it'll be so corroded together you won't be able to get it apart when you need to rebuild it.

Randy

Reaction score
I haven’t seen a coin box like those in probably 15 or 20 years. You need to revise your "To Do List" list and get new coin boxes before you buy credit card system.

"My current " To Do List" is below. Always looking for feedback from others who have already gone through this."

I rearranged your list a little bit

1. Coin Boxes and equipment upgrades

2. Parking lot repairs (several pot holes) Liability concerns

3. Debit Card Machines (what are Debit Card machines)?

4. Security Camera System

5. Painting of my metal awnings.

6. Upgrade outdoor vending machines IE... get rid of old school Laurels and upgrade to in the wall electronic vendors.

7. Signage

8. Hot Air Dryers (are you talking about inbay blowers)?

OurTown

Reaction score
Instead of making the credit card start price higher why not make the cash price higher? That way you can cover better the bank runs, changer maintenance, burglar damages, alarm system monitoring and coin/bill acceptor maintenance.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've got to add CC acceptance to mine, and I intend to raise cash price once installed. I'm way behind on price increases.

Carwashmafia

Reaction score
We are 100% cashless on all Bays, Vac's and Dogwash (Cryptopay). We sell washcards $5 $7 $10 through our
Mega-Vendor III Vending Machine.
best decision ever no more trips to the bank, no more quarters, no more vandalism well worth the 4.5% Just waiting for Cryptopay to come up with an all in one card reader.

edredtop

Reaction score
We are 100% cashless on all Bays, Vac's and Dogwash (Cryptopay). We sell washcards $5 $7 $10 through our
Mega-Vendor III Vending Machine.
best decision ever no more trips to the bank, no more quarters, no more vandalism well worth the 4.5% Just waiting for Cryptopay to come up with an all in one card reader.
...and no more cash purchases "off the books" ;-)

Carwashmafia

Reaction score
...and no more cash purchases "off the books" ;-)
We accept Cash through the vending machine Mega-Vendor III and Automatic PDQ 360, Hamilton Goldline auto cashier but all of our other equipment only runs off credit/debit and wash cards (Bays, Vacuums, and dogwash) (we sell wash cards from the vending machine to people that want to use cash which keeps all the cash centralized) I have been involved with Self Service car washes for almost 30 years one way or another. I have built them from the ground up and Installed the first PDQ Laserwash and D&S 5000 in California. I have Run them, serviced them, and owned them I also have owned a chemical manufacturing business I have been on all sides of the business I have been all over the country and world. This is by far the best setup I have ever seen.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
We accept Cash through the vending machine Mega-Vendor III
If remember correctly ... Mega seller Uncle Sam (now retired) giving me a "heads up" on a technicality of accepting cards on a Mega Vendor. The issue is when the selection would changed from the original higher priced & change would be given back in cash?