What's new

Contemplating a refurbed L-4000 unit

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
I currently have a 2/2 with PDQ equipment for the IBA's. I am in the process of buying an old 6 bay SS wash on the other side of town and planning on converting it into a 4 and 1. I'm looking at a new M-5 but also got an estimate on a refurbed L-4000. It's an attractive option, especially for this location where I think it will be a marginal site at best.

I was wondering if any of you have any experience with a refurbed unit? Any good or bad stories to tell? Any watch outs that I should be aware of and ask questions about before making my decision? Just to clarify, I would be buying the refurbed unit from my distributor.

Thanks in advance

ScottV

Last edited:

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I wouldn't advise a new owner to buy a used or refurb machine. In your case, where you are already familiar with the machine and most likely can handle little issues that may arise with a used unit, I wouldn't be afraid. I have Mark VII machines in my washes and have bought four used ones over the years with no regrets. I will add that I bought all of them from my M7 distributor and got some kind of warranty with each one. I wouldn't be afraid to buy one from another party if the right deal arose, but I would expect to get a little better price since any issues would be on my dime.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would take advantage of the deals out there right now.

If you are knowledgeable enough to dismantle all equipment and re-install it, then you should be fine with whatever comes up. Expect to pay some extra $ in odd things that pop up.

You could do very well on a deal like this if you buy a time-tested machine like a laser 4000.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I was just offered the same deal. They want to set up a lease program though. A little hesitant though. I need to quadruple check the numbers. I'm very wary, but I would love to get an auto in there.

MEP001

Reaction score
Before you buy a refurbished Laser 4000, check on the price of a new Washworld.

Make sure that whoever did the refurb really went through and rebuilt all the major wear parts such as gearboxes, and didn't just clean it up and repaint it.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Check on the warranty. If it is a factory refurb it should have a new machine warranty. If it is not a factory refurb I would want at least a year warranty on parts and labor from the Distributor who probably is the one who took it out of its original site. If there is any hesitation I would not do the deal. There are a lot of good deals on new IBA's out there. Unless there is substantial savings and a decent warranty from a reputable Distributor I would not be too anxious to buy the machine.

lag

Reaction score
I agree with all the above answers. You also want all the metel to be stainless steel. You should also be sure to get an a5000 controller ,so you could add the VT option ,if it does not come with it.

Looking at a Washworld machine is something I would also highly recommend.

mac

Reaction score
Tell us what the price of the refurb unit is and what the warranty is. Also check around for other bargains. There was a new 4000 advertised on this sit a few months ago for about 20K, I think. Also check ebay, I've seen some deals there.