What's new

Considering upgrade to accept credit cards....Need Input

spf8298

Reaction score
We are considering making the change to accept credit cards at our wash. When we purchased from the previous owners the coin boxes were recessed in a concrete cut-out on the wall. I've was never fond of the application, but we inherited it so it's what we have to work with. I'm also confident the boxes can be removed. My question is, would it be better to upgrade the entire box with some sort of retro-fit or does anyone have any experience with adding crypto-pay to a set up like this? I'm thinking if we go the Crypto-Pay way, we could possibly do the side mount box??? I'm basically looking for suggestions/ideas to move forward with this process.

View attachment 1331

Randy

Reaction score
There's really no way around it with that small of a coin box, your going to have to spend some big money and replace your coin box with a Dixmor LED-6 or 7 timer. I wouldn't install bill validators, to much of a target for thieves and to much of a maintenance headache, we've been removing them as they are vandalized or fail.

soapy

Reaction score
Wash Gear sells a system that has its own box and all you have to do is run a cat5 line to it and one to the selector switch. I run various CC units for SS bays and my wash gear units always sell more in credit cards than my locations that do not use it for Credit cards.

MEP001

Reaction score
The only way I can see to add CC acceptance without replacing your boxes would be to mount the card reader on the wall next to the box and add a Dixmor DX-2000-2 timer for the count-up display. That's going to cost about $1100 just in the parts.

Can you post a picture of the whole wall? Are your boxes now at the end of the bay or in the middle? You might be able to just put in new boxes at one end with a common safe for each pair of bays, then brick around it.

Reaction score
One of my washes has small meter boxes like that and another small box was installed above them that houses an LED 7. It works but if your budget allows it, you should replace the meter boxes. That is what your customers interact with and a nice meter box will improve customer perception and satisfaction. Also a bigger box makes upgrades easier.

spf8298

Reaction score
Meter Box Pics

Attached are pics of the entire wall. I did send an email into Etowah Valley to get their input on possibly redoing our faceplates and adding dixmor timers if possible. I really don't want to get rid of the current meter boxes since it will involve enlarging the concrete cut-out. May not have a choice on that though.

View attachment 1337 View attachment 1336

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
I'd definitely move the boxes to the end of the bay with a single safe per two bays and brick around them.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I'd definitely move the boxes to the end of the bay with a single safe per two bays and brick around them.
My close competitor had what looks like half a stainless cylinder with a Flange on either side. It had cutouts for the Vault and meter box so they were recessed about an inch behind the stainless. He then filled that with cement. looks awesome.

MEP001

Reaction score
My close competitor had what looks like half a stainless cylinder with a Flange on either side. It had cutouts for the Vault and meter box so they were recessed about an inch behind the stainless. He then filled that with cement. looks awesome.
I've seen those, it's a Coleman thing.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I've seen those, it's a Coleman thing.

Those are a little different although a great retro fit idea since the entire cylinder could be put at the leading edge. His is a half cylinder on either side. I think he kept is original round vaults. FWIW if I ever did it myself I would go to drawer type vaults and see if there was an easy way to put a heater in the vault. I know some new builds run floor heat up the wall, perhaps a loop could be run arounf the vault.

MANLO

Reaction score
Some thoughts. If you do add new meter boxes consider going with additional options on the meter box door. Even if your wash isn't wired for additional options it won't cost much more and will allow you to expand your options in the future. I switched my doors out from push button to rotary switches and I'd suggest staying with rotary switches. Easier to deal with.

You might be able to use a NAYAX Credit Card reader to work in count up mode. The NAYAX reader displays the Time and cumulative charge on the reader, so you wouldn't have to buy a separate timer unless you wanted to. It seems like you could make it work using the relay that I'm using. My boxes have Dixmoor Led 7 timers that the NAYAX is wired into, but it might be worth your time to take a look at my set up. I've got a guy that is working on a better solution for using NAYAX in self serve bays, but not sure that will work for you.

Here is a picture of the relay that I used to make the NAYAX reader work in my self serve bay. View attachment 1340

Let me know if you want some more information. In the meantime I'll find the site where you can purchase the relay. They cost about $10 each.