What's new

Conservative vs Liberal Poiitics in England

Etowah

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I happened to be in England last week when their national election was held. It was basically the Tory Party (Conservative) against the Labour Party (Liberals) The press predicted a close race that might mean power to the Labour Party (Seems their media is liberal - just like ours). What really happened was the largest Conservative victory since 1992 with the Labour and other smaller parties taking a real beating. It was interesting to watch the Labour leaders crying in their beer saying this was the end of their country. All their leaders were forced to resign. The Conservatives wanted to improve the economy by working toward a balanced budget, create incentives for businesses and defund some social programs (sound familiar?) The Labour Party wanted to expand social programs and increase taxes on businesses (also sound familiar?) In the end what happened was a landslide for the Conservatives. Hope that sounds familiar in 2016.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
The "representative" sampling these pollsters use is often also slanted as well as the way the poll's questions are written. I have never believed many polls, especially those done that have an agenda to support. In some respects I think the polls really hurt the Labour Party on two fronts. First of all I think they took some of the projected election results for granted and secondly I think more Conservatives turned out to vote for fear of Liberals taking over the government.