What's new

Connect remotely to Washgear computer

Etowah

blurdgman

Reaction score
How does anyone connect remotely to a Washgear computer? What about firewalls etc?

bigleo48

Reaction score
Not sure about the particulars of the washgear products and how they are accessed remotely.

But in general you should have a firewall and you'll need to opene some ports to access from the outside. If its web based access (HTTP or HTTPS) and you have a conflict with another PC (say both need port 80), then you'll need to do some port translations.

It there isn't remote access capability to the washgear stuff, then you could use VNC or PCAnywhere if its a windows based PC.

In the end, you should talk to washgear direct.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Remote PC

I have a PC at my wash that I access from home. It *is* on the same dsl/network line with other equipment, and from home I can operate just like I was there at the wash. I'm not familiar with Washgear but I would think this should work with their equipment as well.

I use the "remote desktop" built into Windows. In my case, I'm using an older PC at the wash so it uses Microsoft XP. fyi you have to use XP professional (not home) for remote desktop. XP home doesn't support it.

Configure your PC at the wash to have a static (fixed) IP address. Something like 192.168.1.10 Then, log in to your router, go to the "routing" tab, and route port 3389 to the static IP address you just assigned to that PC. From then on, any incoming request on port 3389 will go directly to that PC. Oh, and the PC *must* require a password on startup. Remote desktop will not work unless the PC is password protected on startup.

That should be about it at the wash. From home, run the Windows Remote Desktop client (mine is in >accessories>communication) and make your connection. You will need to specify the IP address of the wash to connect. If you don't have a fixed IP at the wash (they are more expensive) you can use dynamic DNS (dyndns.org) but I always thought that was a hassle-- I just pay the $20/month for faster speed and a fixed IP.

If you have a smartphone you can also connect via your phone. On a Droid phone I use XtraLogic for a remote desktop-- and I can connect to the wash just fine.

MEP001

Reaction score
Sequoia said:
I use the "remote desktop" built into Windows. In my case, I'm using an older PC at the wash so it uses Microsoft XP. fyi you have to use XP professional (not home) for remote desktop. XP home doesn't support it.
You do need XP Pro on the computer you're using to "dial in" to the remote computer, but the remote one doesn't need Pro.

O

ONEcard

Use a program called TeamViewer found at Teamviewer.com. If you using it from your wash to your house you can us the personnel version which will be free. They offer VPN setup with the program as well so you can setup and encrypted connection and maintain PCI compliance

Zack

Happycarz

Reaction score
In order to stay in compliance with the Visa PCI DSS standard, the WashGear computer must be a stand alone computer doing no other function, especially being accessed from the internet. I had to remove my DVR from my WashGear computer network. If the Visa police find out, they will shut you down. If you devulge customer credit card numbers, resulting in cost to the bank, and the bank proves you are not in compliance, you pay and pay and pay. With the costs of computers today, why put yourself at risk? Just put in another computer to handle all your other functions.
If you just want to access it to see what you did for the day, or configure a gift card, fleet account, etc., you are out of luck.
If you have a week to read the standard take a look HERE.